+ Reply to Thread

Pardon me for being late.

I know that game is a few days old now but I just saw the game for the first time last night on replay.

I know this is a business but I think Jacobs comments about Rex Ryan should earn him a spot on the team for the forseeable future. You need guys like that.

Overly emotional bleed blue type of guys.
    My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.

Re: Pardon me for being late.

Jacobs spoke for ALL GIANTS fans wheen he told Ryan "Time to shut up, fat boy". I commend him for that, and I love to see an angry Jacobs on the field... but where was that fire most of this year? If he's only good for 1-2 games a year, we don't need him. He traded his brutal battering ram style to extend his career, problem is, he's not good unless he's a battering ram. I appreciate his effort AND his lambasting of RR, but truth be told, I think his time in NY may be over.

Generally this type of thing is discouraged.

(1) Do you think in any way Bill Parcells would have tolerated it? Jacobs would have already been off the team from has past flare-ups (like throwing his helmet into the stands).

(2) It is a dangerous lack of respect between players and coaches, a system of respect that goes back to the beginning of the game itself. It leads to nowhere but bad places. Granted the coach in question is an ***, but if players start disrespecting coaches nothing good can come of it.

In the case of Wrecks Ryan I can make an exception, but it's not a good thing by any means. And it also flies in the face of what Tom Coughlin had been preaching (and how he'd been acting) all week.
    8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

Normally, I'd agree. But if, as the suggestion seems to be, it was Ryan who initiated the dialog post match, then all bets are off as regards "respecting the opposing coach".

Agree with the point about Jacobs' running style also.

When he tries to dance, he's not effective.

He's a North and South, between the tackles runner.

He compliments Bradshaw well, but if he is to remain a Giant I think he has to accept his job and accept the physical demands that come with it.

You need a semi-bad guy....someone with an edge to win in this league...had it in Taylor in the late 80's/90's.....had it with Shockey for a bit and more recently with Jacobs.....I like the fire.....

Normally I don't agree with this type of behavior either but it was widely reported and never refuted that Rex came up to him initially......so I'm glad he said what he said.....I'm surprised Jacobs even came out and said he respects him......I certainly don't......that guy and that expansion organization are a disgrace to the NFL......I'm so sick and disgusted with them and their fan base. So I applaud Jacobs for manning up.......if you sit by and take that verbal abuse from that clown coach or not you'll never live it down.

FYI - Jacobs didn't mean to throw his helmet in the stands......he threw it at an aluminumbench and itwent up into the stands....HUGE difference......he would've been suspended the season if he actually threw it in the stands on purpose.

All-Pro

i don't think it's a good idea to make personnel decisions based on a players willingness to trash talk, if Brandon's best days are behind him, then it might be time to part ways

having said that and like another poster stated ... he was definetly speaking for all Giants fans and it put a smile on my face even if it was not 100% professional ... you do have to respect his passion for the Blue

To me it was more about what Jacobs did than what he said. He beasted on the Jets. I love that he told Rex that he'd punch him in the face and all that but it was more about showing pride in being a Giants and kind of drawing a line in the sand.

Also I think that Jacobs has run well all season. He's not exactly getting Hogs style blocking. We've been moving some guys out and he's been able run lately.

I don't care for players being professional. The face of Franchise is Eli and he can handle all of the PR stuff. As a counter balance we need some big mean Giants through and through type guys.
    My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.

Veteran

[quote user="SweetZombieJesus"]Generally this type of thing is discouraged.

(1) Do you think in any way Bill Parcells would have tolerated it? Jacobs would have already been off the team from has past flare-ups (like throwing his helmet into the stands).
    [/quote]

Find it fascinating that you use Parcells as an example of a "team" first guy. Lets review some of his history:

-Tried to get out of his contract to sign with Falcons after SB in 1986.
    -Quit team in May 1991 AFTER both Belichick & Coughlin accepted other jobs citing health reasons only to return to the Pats 2 years later
    -Interviewed with the Jets DURING the 2 weeks leading up to the SB in which the Pats would lose to GB.
    -Told Tampa he would take their job only to back out

Do you think any of his players should have "tolerated" any of his behavior. You want to criticize Jacobs, that's fine but don't point to the Slimy Tuna as an example of high character.

[quote user="yatitle"][quote user="SweetZombieJesus"]Generally this type of thing is discouraged.

[/quote]

Find it fascinating that you use Parcells as an example of a "team" first guy. Lets review some of his history:

-Tried to get out of his contract to sign with Falcons after SB in 1986.
    -Quit team in May 1991 AFTER both Belichick & Coughlin accepted other jobs citing health reasons only to return to the Pats 2 years later
    -Interviewed with the Jets DURING the 2 weeks leading up to the SB in which the Pats would lose to GB.
    -Told Tampa he would take their job only to back out

Do you think any of his players should have "tolerated" any of his behavior. You want to criticize Jacobs, that's fine but don't point to the Slimy Tuna as an example of high character.

[/quote]

Not to mention 80% of his team was Jacked Up every Sunday and everyone from the coach's to the front office looked the other way because they were winning. If Jacobs was rushing for 4+ yards Bill would have put up with it, the only one he had the balls to rip was Phil Simms, and now look at the two of them, Phil is on Top, Tuna has ruined his reutation.

Forget the Past, Live for the Future!

[quote user="SweetZombieJesus"]Generally this type of thing is discouraged.

(2) It is a dangerous lack of respect between players and coaches, a system of respect that goes back to the beginning of the game itself. It leads to nowhere but bad places. Granted the coach in question is an ***, but if players start disrespecting coaches nothing good can come of it.

In the case of Wrecks Ryan I can make an exception, but it's not a good thing by any means. And it also flies in the face of what Tom Coughlin had been preaching (and how he'd been acting) all week.
    [/quote]

Are you taking into consideration that Rex went up to Jacobs and started the "conversation"? That's what was reported anyway and Jacobs was quoted with saying "He came up to me ...."

"...gently down the loser stream!!"

--80--