+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What The Giants Have To Replace At RB

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post...-replace-at-rb

Excerpt: "The New York Giants have, in recent years, become a passing offense behind star quarterback Eli Manning and their elite wide receivers. But in their hearts, the Giants still yearn to run the ball effectively to set up the pass and maintain balance on offense. For this reason, it's worth taking some time to examine the state of the Giants' running game heading into 2013.

The Giants cut running back Ahmad Bradshaw earlier in the offseason. They did this for a number of good reasons, including the chronic foot problems that drastically limited Bradshaw the past couple of years and the fact they selected a running back,David Wilson, in the first round of the 2012 NFL draft. But the fact remains that the Giants said goodbye to a player who was on the field for 611 snaps last year (per Pro Football Focus) and have to replace him.

How will they do it? Well, they have said they believe Wilson, who was on the field for 125 offensive snaps last year in addition to his kick-return duties, can handle the full-time workload. Surely, they would not have used a first-round draft pick on him if they didn't think he could ultimately do that. The question now is whether he'll be ready to do it in this, his second season, after only 125 offensive snaps as a rookie. If not, they have to look at Andre Brown, who was on the field for 225 snaps last year, as a candidate to share significant snaps with the speedy young Wilson.

Brown started the Week 3 game last year in Carolina when Bradshaw was injured, and he memorably ran for 113 yards and two touchdowns on 20 carries. But as the year went on and Bradshaw returned to regular duty, Brown was used effectively as a goal-line back. He had eight touchdowns before breaking his leg in the Week 12 game against the Packers and missed the rest of the season.

The Giants' roster also includes veteran running back Ryan Torain and third-year man Da'Rel Scott, either or both of whom could factor in before all is said and done. And they could sign someone else. They recently had veteran Tim Hightower in for a visit, so we know they're on the lookout." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Im confident in Wilson/Brown as the main duo.....But as a Wilson fan I have to admitt im nervous that Brown steals the show, he showed some legit promise...

Quote Originally Posted by myles2424 View Post
    Im confident in Wilson/Brown as the main duo.....But as a Wilson fan I have to admitt im nervous that Brown steals the show, he showed some legit promise...
    It might be best in the long run if Brown were to get more snaps as Wilson's reads and blocking continue to improve. Wilson is here for the marathon, Brown for the sprint.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    It might be best in the long run if Brown were to get more snaps as Wilson's reads and blocking continue to improve. Wilson is here for the marathon, Brown for the sprint.
    whatevers best for the team, but itd definetly suck for a 1st round pick not be the man....Brown showed to be more of a every down type, but his injury past goes all the way back to his freshman year......hard to tell

I REALLY like the idea of Wilson/Brown and think there's a hell of alot of potential there.

Quote Originally Posted by myles2424 View Post
    whatevers best for the team, but itd definetly suck for a 1st round pick not be the man....Brown showed to be more of a every down type, but his injury past goes all the way back to his freshman year......hard to tell
    They knew when they drafted him that Wilson was just asked to run at VT. They also had to know he would need time to develop into Bradshaw's replacement. I am guessing they didn't think Bradshaw would be gone so soon, so Brown can help us get where we need to go while Wilson continues to learn.

# 80

I think the Giants are still 1 RB short. We dont know if David Wilson will handle at least 200 NFL carries and Andre Brown hasnt stayed healthy enough for that since HS. Someone that has the experience and ability to be a number #2 back and get 15 carries if 1 of them happens to go down for a long stretch is needed. Another back could be had in the 3rd day. A bruiser like MSU's Le'veon Bell that has experience carrying the ball 30 times between the tackles would give the Giants some security. Familiarity with blitz pick ups would be a huge plus since most College RB's lag behind in blocking

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    I think the Giants are still 1 RB short. We dont know if David Wilson will handle at least 200 NFL carries and Andre Brown hasnt stayed healthy enough for that since HS. Someone that has the experience and ability to be a number #2 back and get 15 carries if 1 of them happens to go down for a long stretch is needed. Another back could be had in the 3rd day. A bruiser like MSU's Le'veon Bell that has experience carrying the ball 30 times between the tackles would give the Giants some security. Familiarity with blitz pick ups would be a huge plus since most College RB's lag behind in blocking
    We also have Scott on board.

# 80

Wilson/Brown will be the primary duo however I believe if Torain can stay healthy he can provide superb depth!

Scott should come on the scene this season after being inactive for almost 2 years! I don't know what he can do yet but he needs a chance to solidify his spot on the roster!

Bench Player
    The only thing any of us have seen from Scott is that he's fast. Not to take anything away from that, the man has gamebreaking speed like David Wilson, but as far as overall RB skills are concerned- if he could block or do anything else well besides be rediculously fast, he would have seen carries last year during the regular season when Bradshaw went down. I don't see him being anything special at RB but I do think he can be a very effective special teams player (i.e. block punts, kicks, take kickoff returns) so he has a lot of value there. Lets see if Torrain has anything left in him, and actually I know you guys hate on Lumpkin all the time but that dude seemed to know how to pass protect and ran the beloved shotgun draw pretty well. Wouldn't mind having him back.