+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

I don't understand the negativity regarding DJ Fluker

Title pretty much sums this one up. I don't get why anytime someone mentions DJ Fluker it always follows with "unless we trade back/get him in the 2nd round...etc". Considering we basically have no proven RT right now, it seems like Fluker is a near ideal prospect for the Giants at 19th overall.

He's a bonafide road grader with mean written all over him. Plus, I have my doubts that anyone carries 340 better than this guy does.

I've watched tape on this guy and I'm not seeing a whole lot to pick at, but I just want to hear some legitimate concerns and not the usual mocking bird routine that is often apparent around here.
    Quote Originally Posted by PBTimmons View Post
    This. Pugh is not happening. Not. Happening.

i feel hes gonna be a leaky sieve that allows to much pressure from the strongside to be honest.. Just dosen't move as well as i'd like, and i just got a sour taste in my mouth watching him a bit this yr(bama), and seemingly only hereing his name when the line screws up.... Thats why i don't like em, personally..

He's a terrible pass blocker.

And RT is not a position you spend a first round pick on, especially 19th.

If you are drafting a tackle in the first he better be able to play LT

Title pretty much sums this one up. I don't get why anytime someone mentions DJ Fluker it always follows with "unless we trade back/get him in the 2nd round...etc". Considering we basically have no proven RT right now, it seems like Fluker is a near ideal prospect for the Giants at 19th overall.

He's a bonafide road grader with mean written all over him. Plus, I have my doubts that anyone carries 340 better than this guy does.

I've watched tape on this guy and I'm not seeing a whole lot to pick at, but I just want to hear some legitimate concerns and not the usual mocking bird routine that is often apparent around here.
    I like him more than most on here and feel he could be an excellent RT for us. With that being said, I feel we should go defense with our first selection and he will not be there in round 2.

Also, being the worst OL on that Bama line isn't doesn't make you a bad player. They are all beasts.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    He's a terrible pass blocker.

And RT is not a position you spend a first round pick on, especially 19th.

If you are drafting a tackle in the first he better be able to play LT
    I agree.. If i had to take a RT, i said i'd take Menelik Watson over Fluker, because Watson moves alot better in my opinion, and still has upside and could in fact, max out as a LT.. But even then, i woulden't take em, but my point is, thats how little i like Fluker..

Fair enough in regard to taking a RT in the first, but it fills a direct need and I'm not seeing a "terrible pass blocker". He fared pretty well against Georgia from what I could tell and that is one heck of a defensive front.
    This. Pugh is not happening. Not. Happening.

10 years ago (maybe even 5), he would be a surefire 1st round selection but we all know the league is becoming more pass oriented and this requires the RT to have more mobility and feet to mirror edge rushers than they had to in the past. The current trend with new run first teams is even going in this direction where you see lighter OL being drafted to fit into the zone blocking schemes that compliment their dual threat QB. You have to worry how a guy like this will look when he has the tenure a Diehl or Snee has too. I don't even want to think how slow he will be when he is around 30 years old and he would most certainly have to play G.

The Titans are trying to rebuild their OL so that CJ can get going again. I'd like to see him go there and play G for a year or two until their tackles retire. It would be a great fit for him.

Edit: He might actually have a better overall career if he plays G permanently. I imagine he could neutralize NTs with ease due to his natural strength and freakish arms. I'd be ok with Fluker ONLY if he came here to play G and was a 3rd round or higher selection. Otherwise, kind of meh on it.
    Last edited by TheEnigma; 03-29-2013 at 03:52 PM.
    3/25/14 - Updated Mock with 5th round comp pick

1. Anthony Barr, Defensive End, UCLA
    2. Marcus Martin, Center Guard, USC
    3. Anthony Johnson, Defensive Nostril Tackle, LSU
    4. Marcel Jensen, Offensive End, Fresno State
    5. Wesley Johnson, Offensive Any Guard, Vanderbilt
    5. Aaron Colvin, Defensive Halfback, Oklahoma
    6. Storm Johnson, Guy Who Runs With Football, UCF

Fair enough in regard to taking a RT in the first, but it fills a direct need and I'm not seeing a "terrible pass blocker". He fared pretty well against Georgia from what I could tell and that is one heck of a defensive front.
    A poor pass blocking RT isn't a need. The giants already have Diehl for that.

I like him as a last option at #19.. If all the guys JR likes are gone, but No I wouldn't be thrilled with the pick
    (1)Aaron Donald, DT Pittsburgh - (2)Jordan Matthews, WR Vanderbilt - (3)Jack Mewhort, OL Ohio State
    (4)Arthur Lynch, TE Georgia - (5)Bryan Stork, C Florida State - (5)Tyler Gaffney, RB Stanford
    (6)Prince Shembo, OLB Notre Dame

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    A poor pass blocking RT isn't a need. The giants already have Diehl for that.
    any good RTs in the draft?