Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The honey badger

Quote Originally Posted by TAILGATIN' View Post
    Yah because its all about the size of your corners. Some of my faves:

Darrelle Revis 5' 11''
    Champ Bailey 6' 0"
    Ronnie Lott 6' 0"
    Rod Woodson 6' 0"

With heights like this they could have had a second job in the circus!!
    Prince is the only one at 6'0". The other 2 aren't even close. With the size of WRs now height does come into play. You must be under 6' if I offended with my post.........

Quote Originally Posted by RichGiants81 View Post
    I really hope we get this kid, I'm convinced that he is the sleeper pick this year. Potential defensive rookie of the year material. If it was up to me, I'd take him at 19 or trade up for him in the second. Guy has a nose for the ball, amazing instincts, fluid motion on his back pedal and turning his hips to run with the receiver. Hes nasty at stripping the ball. If he is still there in the second at 19 which I highly doubt, they better snatch him up. In the second he would def be worth trading up for. the niners and pats are already drooling over the kid. I would be so happy if he ended up a giant. Whose with me?
    id draft him. I'd say he is worth the risk if there in later rounds
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Yah because its all about the size of your corners. Some of my faves:

Darrelle Revis 5' 11''
    Champ Bailey 6' 0"
    Ronnie Lott 6' 0"
    Rod Woodson 6' 0"

With heights like this they could have had a second job in the circus!!
    Mathieu is pretty tiny. Under 5'9 and only 185 pounds.

For comparison, people call Brandon Flowers undersized, and Flowers has over an inch in height and probably 10 pounds on Mathieu.

Pine Barrens, NJ.. where we still hunt dinner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Giantslb66 View Post
    Prince is the only one at 6'0". The other 2 aren't even close. With the size of WRs now height does come into play. You must be under 6' if I offended with my post.........
    Not offended at all. My point was you dont have to be over 6' to be a good corner. Although Mathieu is 5' 9", his vertical was 3.5 inches higher than Jordan Poyer (6 ft), 1.5 inches higher than Logan Ryan (5' 11''), and .5 inches higher than DJ Hayden (5' 11")... all of whom are taller and expected to go before Mathieu. His vert is also tied with Johnthan Banks who is top 5 corner and 6' 2". One more, he is only 2 inches shy of Milliner's vert who is 6' and the top prospect. For his size, he has more ups than any of these guys and is a complete ball hawk. Im not saying he's the top of his class by any means, but when Rhodes is gone and if we dont take Trufant, Im a big fan of him in the 3rd, a tad more than Slay and Wreh-Wilson just cause of his upside. I wont be upset at all if he's not a Giant, but will be if we dont get a decent CB in the first few rounds. BTW, Im 6' 1'' if it means that much to you

"Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise."
    - Homer J. Simpson

and is a complete ball hawk.
    He had 4 interceptions. Thats not a ball hawk at all.

Wreh-Wilson had twice that.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Mathieu is pretty tiny. Under 5'9 and only 185 pounds.

For comparison, people call Brandon Flowers undersized, and Flowers has over an inch in height and probably 10 pounds on Mathieu.
    Definately agree he's a small CB, theres no hiding that. I feel he plays bigger than his size is all.

"Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise."
    - Homer J. Simpson

Ok I dont want to get too into it with you, slip.. its all opinions. Is Trufant a ball hawk? He had 1 interception all year.

- Homer J. Simpson

Ok I dont want to get too into it with you, slip.. its all opinions. Is Trufant a ball hawk? He had 1 interception all year.
    No, not really, but hes possibly capable of being a shutdown corner.

The thing with Mathieu is he really is a linebacker. Thats what position he played, thats what skill set he has. Hes a blitzer, he likes to hit, hes probably the best in college at forcing fumbles, and he is a great return guy either on defense or STs.

But he isnt a cover corner, and he isnt a ball hawking coverage guy.

You take a Trufant, and you know where to play him, maybe you try him in the slot a bit, but for the most part you know you put him out wide against a WR and tell him to cover him.

What do you do with Mathieu? You cant line him up on a WR, he isnt a skilled cover guy. Do you play him at safety where he has to match up against TEs who are 8" taller and 100 pounds heavier than him? He never really showed in college the ability to play the deep middle either.

Maybe you do what LSU did, play him in the box and use him as a joker, drop in coverage, blitz him. But do you do that on run downs? Do you really trust a 185 pound guy taking on a fullback or OL, or any of the 230+ pound NFL HBs?

Thats my biggest issue with Mathieu. I know everyone sees the big plays he makes, and I love them too. But it really is hard to figure out where and how to play a guy like him.

Thats also the reason I hate the comparisons of Mathieu to other corners in the draft, or to Jenkins last year. They dont bring the same skill sets to the table, at all.

Guess theres not many ball hawk corners in this draft?

Milliner- 3 int
    Trufant- 1 int
    Taylor- 4 int
    Banks- 4 int
    Amerson- 5 int

Just sayin dude.

- Homer J. Simpson

What do you do with Mathieu?
    Im not going to pretend Im an NFL coach by any means, but Im sure a good staff would have no problem fitting him in. He won the 2011 Bednarik Award as the nationís best defender, first-team All-SEC notice from league coaches and media, consensus All-American honors, and became a rare defender who became a finalist for the Heisman Trophy. Some team will figure it out.

- Homer J. Simpson

+ Reply to Thread