+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38
  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    Yep, its kind of a no brainer. He is a hell of a prospect and makes me wish we did play a 34 and could actually draft him, but we dont, and he isnt nearly as goof a fit for a 43.

    There are a LOT of 34 teams who need a nose tackle this year too. The leagues best(Ngata aside) are getting long in the tooth. Star will find a home quickly.
    I totally disagree ... one of the reasons he was mocked so high to begin with was that he could excel at almost any technique.

    He's very APPEALING as a 0-tech I agree, since dominating 0-techs aren't easy to find. But he easily can play (and excel) as a 3-tech in my mind.

    I'd take him in a heart beat over Sheldon Richardson if he dropped to us.

    However with the Cullen Jenkins signing, we probably don't go DT in the first.

  2. #12
    <---Wouldn't trade up for him.
    2014 MOCK DRAFT:
    1. CJ Mosley (Alabama, LB)
    2. Odell Beckham Sr. (LSU, WR)
    3. Tre Mason (Auburn, RB)
    4. Anthony Steen (Alabama, OG)

  3. #13
    All-Pro TCHOF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    5,598
    Never

  4. #14
    All-Pro TCHOF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    5,598
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    I totally disagree ... one of the reasons he was mocked so high to begin with was that he could excel at almost any technique.

    He's very APPEALING as a 0-tech I agree, since dominating 0-techs aren't easy to find. But he easily can play (and excel) as a 3-tech in my mind.

    I'd take him in a heart beat over Sheldon Richardson if he dropped to us.

    However with the Cullen Jenkins signing, we probably don't go DT in the first.
    I disagree that signing a 32 year old DT will affect our draft strategy in any way. JR is (and has to be) much more of a long term thinker.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by TCHOF View Post
    I disagree that signing a 32 year old DT will affect our draft strategy in any way. JR is (and has to be) much more of a long term thinker.
    Why? We already know that a big part of the Giants' draft equation is need. If the need isn't there, neither is the priority (barring a really highly rated player that falls to us in a priority position such as Prince).

    Before the Jenkins signing we were desperate for a DT with Joseph, Austin, Kuhn and Rogers representing our starters and depth. With Jenkins in the mix, you can make the argument that the need isn't there (or not nearly as prevalent) and that the Jenkins signing gives Reese one more year to see if Austin pans out.

    If that's the case, DT most likely won't be our first pick. If Star falls to us, we'll see what happens

  6. #16
    Veteran TAILGATIN''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pine Barrens, NJ.. where we still hunt dinner.
    Posts
    1,300
    Quote Originally Posted by TCHOF View Post
    I disagree that signing a 32 year old DT will affect our draft strategy in any way. JR is (and has to be) much more of a long term thinker.
    Agree. Lots of memebers here are thinking these off-season signings and workouts with Vet players will somehow affect the position we pick. We do this for depth in camp to see who can outperform who. By no means should this affect the positions we draft. We have quite a few areas with little or no talent that we crucially need to fill with aspiring young blood.
    Last edited by TAILGATIN'; 04-03-2013 at 10:23 AM.

    "Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise."
    - Homer J. Simpson

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    I totally disagree ... one of the reasons he was mocked so high to begin with was that he could excel at almost any technique.

    He's very APPEALING as a 0-tech I agree, since dominating 0-techs aren't easy to find. But he easily can play (and excel) as a 3-tech in my mind.

    I'd take him in a heart beat over Sheldon Richardson if he dropped to us.

    However with the Cullen Jenkins signing, we probably don't go DT in the first.
    Well, every single scouting report I find has him rated higher as a 0-tech(nose tackle). All of the teams represented at his pro day with defensive line coaches were 34 teams(according to NFLdraftscout.com)

    So, im gonna stick with my opinion.

  8. #18
    All-Pro slipknottin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    36,061
    Roughly half of the teams that went to his proday are true 3-4 teams. The patriots are almost exclusively a 4-3 team now. Jets are a hybrid front team that wants guys who can play multiple spots.

    Steelers are a traditional 3-4, but need DEs and NTs.

    Cardinals run a lot of hybrid stuff lately. And need a DE more than a NT because Dockett may be on his way out and they actually keep their DEs on the field almost every down.

    Chargers run a 50 front which is what Dallas ran with wade Phillips. They look for penetrating NTs. While they line up at 0, they really are asked to play more like a 1 or 3tech

    I would say every team looking at him likes the versatility of him being able to line up at multiple spots
    Last edited by slipknottin; 04-03-2013 at 01:31 PM.

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Roughly half of the teams that went to his proday are true 3-4 teams. The patriots are almost exclusively a 4-3 team now. Jets are a hybrid front team that wants guys who can play multiple spots.

    Steelers are a traditional 3-4, but need DEs and NTs.

    Cardinals run a lot of hybrid stuff lately. And need a DE more than a NT because Dockett may be on his way out and they actually keep their DEs on the field almost every down.

    Chargers run a 50 front which is what Dallas ran with wade Phillips. They look for penetrating NTs. While they line up at 0, they really are asked to play more like a 1 or 3tech

    I would say every team looking at him likes the versatility of him being able to line up at multiple spots
    That fair, his versatility helps him for sure.

    But, as a 0 tech, he is a top 10 prospect, maybe a top 5. He is the best 0 tech prospect in the draft according to many.

    He is not the best 3 tech in the draft, and not nearly as highly rated because he is likely a 2 down player as a 3 tech..

    Every team present at his pro day uses a 34. I did not say they were exclusely a 34 team.
    Last edited by BlueSanta; 04-03-2013 at 01:59 PM.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    Well, every single scouting report I find has him rated higher as a 0-tech(nose tackle). All of the teams represented at his pro day with defensive line coaches were 34 teams(according to NFLdraftscout.com)

    So, im gonna stick with my opinion.
    You need to read more.

    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...star-lotulelei

    After Sharrif Floyd, Star is considered the best 3-tech (among other things) in the draft. And I'd argue that Star is a better 3-tech than Floyd.

    Yes, he's highly vaunted because he can play the 0-tech. He is NOT being overlooked by 4-3 teams as a sole 0-tech NT though. Big difference.

    And most of the teams that are being mocked for him, are pure 4-3 defenses (i.e. Vikings, Jags, Panthers, Titans, etc ...).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts