+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    That fair, his versatility helps him for sure.

But, as a 0 tech, he is a top 10 prospect, maybe a top 5. He is the best 0 tech prospect in the draft according to many.

He is not the best 3 tech in the draft, and not nearly as highly rated because he is likely a 2 down player as a 3 tech..

Every team present at his pro day uses a 34. I did not say they were exclusely a 34 team.
    I don't even think hes as good a player as Kawaan Short as a 3tech.. I think Short makes more plays, is more agile and athletic, and the only place i see him better as a 3 tech then Short is run stopping, mainly due to hes alittle stronger and more physical.. But we got Linval Joseph, whos plenty big and strong, and if anything, we need a player who can attack behind the line and make plays, ala Keith Hamilton...

Star's ability to beat the double team, and his straight line speed, and physical pressence, remind me alot of Casey Hampton when he came out...I think the steelers would be wise to try and gobble this kid up and even trade up to get em to take Caseys place and never miss a beat... Hes got strong hands as well, and is a space eater.. These are all great things to have as a NT in a 3/4...

Think DT is not going to be drafted now. They have what, 6 DTs on the roster?

Kuhn, linval, Austin, Jenkins, Patterson, and Rogers

Unless they plan on cutting 4 of them, they aren't drafting a DT

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    You need to read more.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...star-lotulelei

Yes, he's highly vaunted because he can play the 0-tech. He is NOT being overlooked by 4-3 teams as a sole 0-tech NT though. Big difference.

And most of the teams that are being mocked for him, are pure 4-3 defenses (i.e. Vikings, Jags, Panthers, Titans, etc ...).
    and yet not once of those teams was present at his pro day according to NFLdraftscout.com.......

Furthermore, I never said he was being overlooked by 43. I said he has the most value as 0-tech, there is a difference.

Lastly, which mocks are you refering to? just out of curiousity.

Why? We already know that a big part of the Giants' draft equation is need. If the need isn't there, neither is the priority (barring a really highly rated player that falls to us in a priority position such as Prince).

Before the Jenkins signing we were desperate for a DT with Joseph, Austin, Kuhn and Rogers representing our starters and depth. With Jenkins in the mix, you can make the argument that the need isn't there (or not nearly as prevalent) and that the Jenkins signing gives Reese one more year to see if Austin pans out.

If that's the case, DT most likely won't be our first pick. If Star falls to us, we'll see what happens
    I would argue that JR's strategy in free agency - particularly this year - is to minimize team need when drafting, and focus on talent & positional value.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    and yet not once of those teams was present at his pro day according to NFLdraftscout.com.......

Furthermore, I never said he was being overlooked by 43. I said he has the most value as 0-tech, there is a difference.

Lastly, which mocks are you refering to? just out of curiousity.
    I just linked you one that has four mocks for him. The only 3-4 team on that list (CBS') is the Eagles (assuming the Eagles actually switch to a 3-4 this year).

Quote Originally Posted by wideright91 View Post
    I would argue that JR's strategy in free agency - particularly this year - is to minimize team need when drafting, and focus on talent & positional value.
    I would say that's his strategy every year.

Considering we just signed ANOTHER vet DT (Mike Patterson) I highly doubt you see the Giants draft a DT in the first two rounds (if at all).

It's not like I'm looking into a crystal ball ... there are only so many spots on the roster.

Same with OT for those that keep wanting to see us draft an OT early ... we have like eight on the roster (including PS guys). While I'm not comfortable with any of them myself (for the RT spot), I don't watch them everyday in practice either.

LBer is another area that we seem to be filling up with small signings. The more you look at what the Giants are doing, the more you see a DE being the primary focus. After that I'd say either CB or LBer (depending if we actually sign another LBer before the draft).

I wouldn't be totally shocked to see us sign Tyler Eifert either (but we've treated TE similar to LBer under Reese).

By the look of all the vet DT's on the roster my guess is Marvin Austin is getting 1 last chance and the Giants wait another year to draft a DT

I would say that's his strategy every year.

Considering we just signed ANOTHER vet DT (Mike Patterson) I highly doubt you see the Giants draft a DT in the first two rounds (if at all).

It's not like I'm looking into a crystal ball ... there are only so many spots on the roster.

Same with OT for those that keep wanting to see us draft an OT early ... we have like eight on the roster (including PS guys). While I'm not comfortable with any of them myself (for the RT spot), I don't watch them everyday in practice either.

LBer is another area that we seem to be filling up with small signings. The more you look at what the Giants are doing, the more you see a DE being the primary focus. After that I'd say either CB or LBer (depending if we actually sign another LBer before the draft).

I wouldn't be totally shocked to see us sign Tyler Eifert either (but we've treated TE similar to LBer under Reese).
    Ive said all along except for the week they cut Canty that I thought they would draft a DE in the first. I still think it will be

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    Ive said all along except for the week they cut Canty that I thought they would draft a DE in the first. I still think it will be
    Ditto.