+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2007 Giants defense question..

Would you put the 2007 Giants defense in the top 5 defenses of all time? Especially what they did in the postseason/Super Bowl. They held a team that averaged 36.8 ppg, to only 14 points. There's much debate about what really set the tone of that Super Bowl (Offense or defense), but nonetheless..Brady was put under pressure almost all game long.

For a one off performance? Possibly because of the stage. But taking away that it was the Super Bowl and who they were playing, the defense itself, while very good, wasn't in the all time performances category in my mind. The 90 NFC Championship (or really any of that post season) ... now there was a defensive showing. Same for the 86 Giants post season (and season in general).

As a seasonal defense like the 85 Bears, 00 Ravens or 02 Bucs? Not even remotely.

Not even close. Not in the discussion. 13 teams gave up fewer points per game than the Giants that year. They had a great pass rush, yes, but they really turned it up in the playoff run. They really weren't that good. How could they be a top 5 defense of all time? They weren't even ranked top 5 in 2007.
    They were not even the best Giants defense ever.

Quote Originally Posted by nhpgiantsfan View Post
    Not even close. Not in the discussion. 13 teams gave up fewer points per game than the Giants that year. They had a great pass rush, yes, but they really turned it up in the playoff run. They really weren't that good. How could they be a top 5 defense of all time? They weren't even ranked top 5 in 2007.
    They were not even the best Giants defense ever.
    My thinking was since they knocked off arguably the greatest team in NFL history..pretty big accomplishment. But I see your point

Veteran
    Not as a defense over all....not even close.

But if you limit it to all time pass rushes -- well they were really really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    My thinking was since they knocked off arguably the greatest team in NFL history..pretty big accomplishment. But I see your point
    Arguably the greatest offense... I don't think they were all that close to being the greatest team.

I'd say the '07 Giants had one of the best Super Bowl appearances for a defense ever. Probably the best was the '74 Steelers who actually shutout the Vikings offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    Would you put the 2007 Giants defense in the top 5 defenses of all time? Especially what they did in the postseason/Super Bowl. They held a team that averaged 36.8 ppg, to only 14 points. There's much debate about what really set the tone of that Super Bowl (Offense or defense), but nonetheless..Brady was put under pressure almost all game long.
    Hands down IMO one of the best performances of a D in a tittle game, that's it.
    That been said that Giants '86 D in my eyes is top 5 all time.
    Last edited by G-Men Surg.; 04-05-2013 at 04:21 PM.
    " Success is never final, but failure can be " B.P.

the defense as a whole that season was mediocre at best

they just caught fire at the right time

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    For a one off performance? Possibly because of the stage. But taking away that it was the Super Bowl and who they were playing, the defense itself, while very good, wasn't in the all time performances category in my mind. The 90 NFC Championship (or really any of that post season) ... now there was a defensive showing. Same for the 86 Giants post season (and season in general).As a seasonal defense like the 85 Bears, 00 Ravens or 02 Bucs? Not even remotely.
    This.