+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Kiwi could be the Ansah at DE

kiwi was the jpp of the giants before jpp. does no one remember him at DE? He constantly got pressure. the sack numbers arent great bc of injury and constant moving positions. but when he first came on, as a de, he def. flashed levels of play that I feel represent the giants history at DE. guy plays the run well, and his long arms, and motor, and quickness all made a nice package.

we forced him into LB bc he was so skilled at DE vs the run and getting after the qb bc we had strahan (HOF), Osi and Tuck in their primes...

The question is, has the time spent at LB and overall going to negate his ability to retap that potential? If he can get close to where he was before and build off it, he absolutely would be the answer for us at DE.

I see a ton of people here sleeping on Kiwi solely bc we are so far removed from when he was actually a full time DE. The last time was iirc, his 2nd yr, and he had 8 sacks but led the team in pressures...that was his floor imo and starting point, which is why I feel the FO moved him. Now at 26ish iirc, it could be tough, but I dont see how he couldnt get back to a desired level of a play with an offseason of coaching and the preseason...I actually expect a somewhat "breakout" year for Kiwi as a DE. 10 sacks wouldnt surprise me at all...but more importantly, I bet he generates a ton of pressure.

Bronx NYC ......... Justin Gilbert "bandwagoneer"
    If I were the Giants coaching staff I would seriously throw the LDE position as open competition between Kiwi and Tuck. I love Tuck as much as the next Giants fan but he needs something to light a fire under his arse. Kiwi was always hungry to be a starter on the D-line and I'd have no problems if he became the starter.

Not saying I don't want Tuck to succeed....just saying his job shouldn't be guaranteed. Especially the way he's played the last two seasons. He should have to fight and earn his starting role is all I'm saying.

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    kiwi was the jpp of the giants before jpp. does no one remember him at DE? He constantly got pressure. the sack numbers arent great bc of injury and constant moving positions. but when he first came on, as a de, he def. flashed levels of play that I feel represent the giants history at DE. guy plays the run well, and his long arms, and motor, and quickness all made a nice package.

we forced him into LB bc he was so skilled at DE vs the run and getting after the qb bc we had strahan (HOF), Osi and Tuck in their primes...

The question is, has the time spent at LB and overall going to negate his ability to retap that potential? If he can get close to where he was before and build off it, he absolutely would be the answer for us at DE.

I see a ton of people here sleeping on Kiwi solely bc we are so far removed from when he was actually a full time DE. The last time was iirc, his 2nd yr, and he had 8 sacks but led the team in pressures...that was his floor imo and starting point, which is why I feel the FO moved him. Now at 26ish iirc, it could be tough, but I dont see how he couldnt get back to a desired level of a play with an offseason of coaching and the preseason...I actually expect a somewhat "breakout" year for Kiwi as a DE. 10 sacks wouldnt surprise me at all...but more importantly, I bet he generates a ton of pressure.
    Kiwi does everything at an average to above average level. He really is a well rounded 4-3 DE. Not going to be the flashiest stat guy, but he is GREAT in rotation, and should really bolster our d-line with his move back to end. If tuck was healthy, I would love to see him slide into the DT spot next to Joseph and have JPP and Kiwi at end. Flozell Adams ruined Tuck's career.... he just has NEVER been the same since that tripping incident.

Quote Originally Posted by titwio View Post
    If I were the Giants coaching staff I would seriously throw the LDE position as open competition between Kiwi and Tuck. I love Tuck as much as the next Giants fan but he needs something to light a fire under his arse. Kiwi was always hungry to be a starter on the D-line and I'd have no problems if he became the starter.

Not saying I don't want Tuck to succeed....just saying his job shouldn't be guaranteed. Especially the way he's played the last two seasons. He should have to fight and earn his starting role is all I'm saying.
    Kiwi will win the job over Tuck, while moving Kiwi to LB was a huge mistake, he still got some time on the line on 3rd downs. Kiwi will get more pressure, and he can play the run too, hes a better DE than Tuck.

I hope the experiment of Kiwanuka at OLB is OVER!

Quote Originally Posted by speed3freak View Post
    Kiwi does everything at an average to above average level. He really is a well rounded 4-3 DE. Not going to be the flashiest stat guy, but he is GREAT in rotation, and should really bolster our d-line with his move back to end. If tuck was healthy, I would love to see him slide into the DT spot next to Joseph and have JPP and Kiwi at end. Flozell Adams ruined Tuck's career.... he just has NEVER been the same since that tripping incident.
    what? absolutely no way tuck could be an every down dt, healthy or not. he'd get destroyed in the run game.
    and with kiwi, i agree but i want to point out, he only played and was developed up until a very raw point as an nfl de...i think it wasnt 2 yrs before he was in the meeting room with the lb's...avg. to above avg in most aspects of de play is his floor imo. i think he can absolutely improve from that with coaching, but is he "too old a dog to teach new tricks"?

Kiwi is a true Giant and has done everything that's been asked of him by a coaching staff that couldn't make up its mind with a revolving door of injuries.

His best season was the one before he negotiated his contract (which is understandable). And it was at LB.

Kiwi can play DE, but in this system of Coughlin/Fewell, DEnds need to be playmakers, and he just isn't that.
    There's no such word as "Imgrate".

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    what? absolutely no way tuck could be an every down dt, healthy or not. he'd get destroyed in the run game.
    and with kiwi, i agree but i want to point out, he only played and was developed up until a very raw point as an nfl de...i think it wasnt 2 yrs before he was in the meeting room with the lb's...avg. to above avg in most aspects of de play is his floor imo. i think he can absolutely improve from that with coaching, but is he "too old a dog to teach new tricks"?
    maybe I should have been clearer. I meant in certain packages, not as a full time DT.

Bronx NYC ......... Justin Gilbert "bandwagoneer"
    Quote Originally Posted by RagTime Blue View Post
    Kiwi is a true Giant and has done everything that's been asked of him by a coaching staff that couldn't make up its mind with a revolving door of injuries.

His best season was the one before he negotiated his contract (which is understandable). And it was at LB.

Kiwi can play DE, but in this system of Coughlin/Fewell, DEnds need to be playmakers, and he just isn't that.
    He started the 2010 season as a DE and was leading the league in sacks before getting hurt. I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be successful in that role. He's always been behind guys like Strahan, Tuck and Osi. JPP didn't help his cause either. I think he could end up surprising some people as a full time DE.

Quote Originally Posted by titwio View Post
    He started the 2010 season as a DE and was leading the league in sacks before getting hurt.
    I wouldn't call what he played in 2010 a DE. He had no real exclusive position those first few weeks.