+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kruunch's 2013 Final Mock

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    With the only milestone remaining being the April 10th locals workout (mostly late round and / or UDFA prospects) draft boards are mostly solidified. Projections have been made, targets sighted and we all await with baited breath. So without further ado, my final mock for the 2013 NFL Draft (complete with alternative picks):

1) Damontre Moore (DE) - Having addressed the DT position thoroughly for 2013, I think the Giants are going DE in the first round. I don't think Werner falls to us and Tank Carradine's ACL is going to make picking him in the first prohibitive at best. Datone Jones projects as more of a 3-4 DE (or 4-3 DT) so they don't go there. I really like Alex Okafor (my preferred pick), however I think the Giants will see Moore as a young Osi who they are looking to replace. Accordingly, the Giants desperately need a speed rusher on the outside and this goes hand in hand with their publicized plans to swap JPP to the strong side. Alt Pick: Alex Okafor (DE)

2) Khaseem Greene (LB) - I'm really iffy on this pick due to both Greene being projected as a WILL backer (which we have multiples of) and the fact that his weakness is stacking/shedding which makes his versatility limited to WILL backer only. However he is an absolute ball hawk and the Giants finally feel pressured enough to dedicate a high pick to the LBing corps. With Arthur Brown roaring up the charts (my preferred pick here), I think he is gone by this pick leaving Green as the next highest projected LBer. Accordingly, the Giants have already had Greene in for a workout. Alt Pick: David Amerson (CB).

3) Brian Winters (OT/OG) - This would be the really smart pick for the Giants. They need stability and answers on the oline. This was helped by the second contract signing of Will Beatty and the re-signing of Kevin Boothe. Now they need to address both their RT spot and the possible departure of Chris Snee after the 2013 season. Brian Winters has played mostly LT, but projects as a RT or OG and is considered one of the true five position offensive linemen in the draft. There are stength concerns with Winters (9 reps at the Combine before a pec strain stopped his lifting and no lifting at his pro day). The OL depth in the draft drops off sharply after Winters so this is where we improve. Alt Pick: Ryan Swope (WR)

4) Blidi Wreh-Wilson (CB) - Does Wilson fall to the fourth round? Most likely not. A bit raw but athletically gifted and the kind of size the Giants like at the corner spot. Breaks well on the ball which makes him a really good candidate as a zone corner. Struggles in man coverage a bit and is though of as more of a project than starting potential which may have him slip a bit. He also has a little injury history from 2011 which I believe he's proven he's past but again, may make him slip just a tad. If that scenario plays out and he's available in the fourth for us, I think we pounce on him. Alt Pick: JJ Wilcox (S)

5) Nick Kasa (TE) - Wait ... we just signed Brandon Myers and have Pascoe and Robinson, why are we drafting a TE?! Bear Pascoe has proven a reliable lunch-pail type of player but his longevity as a Giant is nearing an end. Eventually the Giants are going to want to get younger here and find a player with a bit more upside than Pascoe. Nick Kasa translates as the exact type of lowkey TE the Giants love to develop (even going so far as being compared to Kevin Boss). Alt Picks: Marcus Lattimore (RB) / Bennie Logan (DT)

6) Denard Robinson (WR) - Converted QB with blazing speed. In the era of tricked up offenses, I can see the Giants taking a late round flyer on a joker type player. Think Antwan Randel-El. Alt Picks: Dewayne Cherrington (DT) / Jonathan Stewart (LB) / Rontez Miles (S)

7) Miguel Maysonet (RB) - Late round prospect to push Darell Scott in camp. Offers so-so straight line speed but flashes explosive power and acceleration for his size (think Bradshaw). Already been invited to the Giants' April 10th locals workout. Alt Pick: Gilbert Pena (DT) / Steve Beauharnais (LB)

7) Patrick Omameh (OG) - Michigan OG that's already been worked out by the Giants. Alt Pick: Nick Williams (WR) / Vinston Painter (OT)

love the mock. would be extremely satisfied if they went in this direction. the only think i would change is gowith your alternate picks in the 2nd and 4th.

i like amerson and think that greene is extremely overvalued in the 2nd. and with a CB in the second id rather see wilcox in the 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by GiantPride13 View Post
    love the mock. would be extremely satisfied if they went in this direction. the only think i would change is gowith your alternate picks in the 2nd and 4th.

i like amerson and think that greene is extremely overvalued in the 2nd. and with a CB in the second id rather see wilcox in the 4th.
    Why overvalued? My only concern with Greene is that he can't play another position past the WILL.

Otherwise, yeah I wouldn't mind going in that direction (except for the fact that our LBing woes will continue).

Banned
    I don't want Moore but he's a good worst case scenario pick. Other than that I'd rather take Wilson in the 2nd where he'll actually go but not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    I don't want Moore but he's a good worst case scenario pick. Other than that I'd rather take Wilson in the 2nd where he'll actually go but not bad.
    I kinda agree about Moore (I'd rather have Okafor personally) but I could see Moore's speed really appealing to the Giants.

I highly HIGHLY doubt Wreh-Wilson goes in the second. This draft (and FA) is just too stacked at CB for a two year project to be selected that high (imo of course).

Having said that, I do think he goes before we pick in the 4th (I'm thinking mid to high third myself).

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    Why overvalued? My only concern with Greene is that he can't play another position past the WILL.

Otherwise, yeah I wouldn't mind going in that direction (except for the fact that our LBing woes will continue).
    Hes not in the same league as the guys projected int eh first two rounds. (Brown, Minter, Ogletree, maybe even Sio)

I love Rutgers and love picking up their players but he isnt as physical or versatile as the other guys. Like you said he is only a WILL. He isnt a big hitter and saw him miss alot of tackles. Also although i love/ed the big east its not he same competition level of Brown/Minter/Ogletree and they look better in film and in the combine. I project him no earlier than the 3rd.

As far as our loathsome LB Issues. Its JWills time to step up and i think he becomes a star this year. Conner is a younger chase Blackburn with better athletics and tacking ability although i wouldnt mind a veteran like urlacher in there to rotate with him / lead the defense. As long as Rivers stays healthy hes a valuable player but there is such a huge ? about him staying healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by GiantPride13 View Post
    Hes not in the same league as the guys projected int eh first two rounds. (Brown, Minter, Ogletree, maybe even Sio)

I love Rutgers and love picking up their players but he isnt as physical or versatile as the other guys. Like you said he is only a WILL. He isnt a big hitter and saw him miss alot of tackles. Also although i love/ed the big east its not he same competition level of Brown/Minter/Ogletree and they look better in film and in the combine. I project him no earlier than the 3rd.

As far as our loathsome LB Issues. Its JWills time to step up and i think he becomes a star this year. Conner is a younger chase Blackburn with better athletics and tacking ability although i wouldnt mind a veteran like urlacher in there to rotate with him / lead the defense. As long as Rivers stays healthy hes a valuable player but there is such a huge ? about him staying healthy.
    I don't disagree with your general summary but I strongly disagree about him not being in the "same league" as the others that were mentioned. I have my preferences but Greene is definitely in the same tier in my mind.

I would love to get Brown in the second but his stock has sky rocketed since the end of the season.

I'm not a Minter fan (I don't want a LBer who is a liability in coverage ... period) and I think the only difference between Ogletree and Greene is about two inches of height (and strength of opponents). They're basically the same player (both positives and negatives).

Sio Moore is kind of the joker. I consider Greene more of a play maker than Moore but I think Moore has a better chance to transition to an MLB or SAM at some point. So pick your poison there.

I'm hopeful we get some decent play out of Connor but I'm not holding my breath (he has yet to prove he's actually a full time starter). Same with Keith Rivers staying healthy.
    Last edited by Kruunch; 04-09-2013 at 11:32 AM.

I don't believe we have to be that desperate to select a DE in the first. Ogletree MLB would appear to be the more "need" pick. Moore to me is the DE i believe is most likely to be a bust in the NFL. Ran a 4.95 supposedly too, ugk. If it's not werner, ansah or okafor then we go pass, and most likely ogletree, we were at his Pro Day, so he's probably in strong consideration. Brian Winters also under performed at the combine, i believe something like only 9 reps on the bench? Your best pick is Greene and he's not really a MLB. Wilson will most likely be gone by the fourth too. I think we go backwards with this draft lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BlessedinBlue22 View Post
    I don't believe we have to be that desperate to select a DE in the first. Ogletree MLB would appear to be the more "need" pick. Moore to me is the DE i believe is most likely to be a bust in the NFL. Ran a 4.95 supposedly too, ugk. If it's not werner, ansah or okafor then we go pass, and most likely ogletree, we were at his Pro Day, so he's probably in strong consideration. Brian Winters also under performed at the combine, i believe something like only 9 reps on the bench? Wilson will most likely be gone by the fourth too. I think we go backwards with this draft lol.
    Wait ... going for a DE in the first is "desperate" but getting Ogletree in the first isn't (not to mention the unlikelihood of us drafting a LBer in the first)?

Not to mention that Ogletree is a one trick pony... he'd be a turnstile as an MLB or SAM and we have tons of WILLs so why would we draft him? Especially when we get the exact same player a round later in Greene (a guy we've worked out I might add).

And did you really just hold up a 40 time for a DE? Seriously?! If he's running 40 yards, it's a loss ... no matter how fast he is.

Regarding Winters ... he stopped his bench at the Combine because of a pec strain ... not because he couldn't lift more than that (which I believe I addressed). He's considered a very strong OT/OG prospect (strength wise) ... just hasn't had a chance to prove it on the official stage (good for us if he drops due to that).

I agree about Wilson ... wishful thinking

Quote Originally Posted by BlessedinBlue22 View Post
    I don't believe we have to be that desperate to select a DE in the first. Ogletree MLB would appear to be the more "need" pick. Moore to me is the DE i believe is most likely to be a bust in the NFL. Ran a 4.95 supposedly too, ugk. If it's not werner, ansah or okafor then we go pass, and most likely ogletree, we were at his Pro Day, so he's probably in strong consideration. Brian Winters also under performed at the combine, i believe something like only 9 reps on the bench? Your best pick is Greene and he's not really a MLB. Wilson will most likely be gone by the fourth too. I think we go backwards with this draft lol.
    We ARE desperate at DE.

Quote Originally Posted by TCHOF View Post
    We ARE desperate at DE.
    Still have Tuck, Kiwi, JPP, Tracy and Ojomo. I Rather Okafor over Moore, Okafor can play run and pass rush. I believe we can find a DE in the later rounds like a Quanterus Smith or Devin Taylor. It's not the end of the world if we don't draft a DE in the first

+ Reply to Thread