+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    If you're getting targeted that much, it means you're getting open, and that your QB believes you're his best option. It means you make plays. It also means that you are going to drop balls.
    To me, 10 drops in a season where you get 150+ targets is meaningless.
    I agree.

If you're getting targeted that much, it means you're getting open, and that your QB believes you're his best option. It means you make plays. It also means that you are going to drop balls.
    To me, 10 drops in a season where you get 150+ targets is meaningless.
    i dunno. while i agree for the most part, i still feel 7.5% of the time, Cruz will drop it, is too high/much.

its easy to look back and go "only 10", but iirc, at least 2 of those situations were crucial plays he alligator armed...i suppose it is a bit nit picking. especially when cruz ranks among the games best at virtually every category over the last 2 yrs...

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    i dunno. while i agree for the most part, i still feel 7.5% of the time, Cruz will drop it, is too high/much.

its easy to look back and go "only 10", but iirc, at least 2 of those situations were crucial plays he alligator armed...i suppose it is a bit nit picking. especially when cruz ranks among the games best at virtually every category over the last 2 yrs...
    For me, we're talking about the most productive receiver in both of the last two years. I don't agree that drops are "meaningless" and I'm pretty sure they aren't meaningless to Cruz either. It's something he has to work on improving but, in the grand scheme of things, I think he's really the only one who needs to focus on it.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Remember how people killed Hixon and labeled him butterfingers because he dropped two passes one year.

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Remember how people killed Hixon and labeled him butterfingers because he dropped two passes one year.
    OH YES
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

aha thats the example i needed with the point i was trying to make a few posts ago. looking back in hindsight, it seems we as fans remember drops, esp somewhat significant ones, moreso than we do of successful plays. That Hixon example is apt because he had that 1 pivotal drop vs Philly on what shoulda been a gimmie TD...and it was scarred into our collective memories bc of how blatant/visual a drop that was. Wouldnt matter if Hixon never dropped a pass again, he'd always be remembered in part by that drop.

Jimmy Graham
    Victor Cruz
    Calvin Johnson
    Brandon Marshall
    Demaryus Thomas
    Dez Bryant
    Randall Cobb
    A.J. Green

Is this a list of the best receivers in the game?........Well pretty close, but no.

Its a list of the NFL leaders in drops in the NFL last season.

So can we stop with the "dropped passes" nonsense. The list of the leaders in dropped passes is always a list of some of the best pass catchers in the game.

As I said........meaningless stat.
    My argument is not about cruz having a lot of drops, but cruz having a bad habit of taking his eyes off of the balI, which has led to drops. I think he needs to work on breaking that habit. I dont know about the other guys on that list but Jimmy graham took a lot of heat last year because of his drops and its something he knows he has to work on.

But I have two questions for you.

Is there anything you think cruz needs to improve on? If so, then would it be wrong to say he needs to improve on a bad habit of taking his eyes off of the ball?
    Last edited by Marvelousmik; 04-11-2013 at 03:48 PM.
    Don't take it personal, we're just debating.

~Big Mike~

How did people treat Steve Smith before he got injured? He was very productive but he dropped passes also. I don't remember anyone killing him. Cruz and Smith have some similarities but Cruz is a big-play threat and Steve was not.
    http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelousmik View Post
    My argument is not about cruz having a lot of drops, but cruz having a bad habit of taking his eyes off of the balI, which has led to drops. I think he needs to work on breaking that habit. I dont know about the other guys on that list but Jimmy graham took a lot of heat last year because of his drops and its something he knows he has to work on.

But I have two questions for you.

Is there anything you think cruz needs to improve on? If so, then would it be wrong to say he needs to improve on a bad habit of taking his eyes off of the ball?
    Every player can improve on his game. Its the nature of things.
    I just think this "dropping passes" thing is way overstated, and not nearly as important a flaw in his game that some seem to believe.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Every player can improve on his game. Its the nature of things.
    I just think this "dropping passes" thing is way overstated, and not nearly as important a flaw in his game that some seem to believe.
    Totally agree. Every top receiver drops passes when they turn to locate the defender before securing the ball. It's going to happen. Get used to it.

Cruz dropped 8.7% and 9.1% of his targets the last two years. Maybe this will help. He caught 91.3% and 90.9% of his targets the last two years. And people are complaining.
    Last edited by moosedrool; 04-11-2013 at 07:14 PM.