+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolando McClain 2.0 thread

Rivers and Mc Clain with Connor in the Middle would be solid. If he clears waivers, the Giants organization is blessed, he'll flourish and his past issues will be behind, him a fresh new start. Rivers looked very good and fast for us, problem is he's injury prone. Mc Clain doesn't seem to have on field health issues, but off field demons. Hey, everybody deserves a second chance.

McClain needs a organization like the Giants to re-start his career..

Quote Originally Posted by Carter.525 View Post
    McClain needs a organization like the Giants to re-start his career..
    I would think he would be claimed long before he got to us.

Quote Originally Posted by BlessedinBlue22 View Post
    Brandon Myers flourished..Mc Fadden was doing well, b4 injuries, and Palmer looks like he may have a new home over in Oakland. It's not the organziation they influence, but it;s more on the player, to make right choices.
    Palmer was dropkicked to Arizona

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan_kilmeade View Post
    Whether he has played poorly or not, the talent is clearly there if he was the 8th overall pick in the draft and Jerry Reese had interest in him. I think people are also forgetting he was playing on the Raiders, where everybody underachieves and gets into trouble. I personally think if he can come cheap he would be well worth the risk
    His draft spot unfortunately means nothing. Vernon Gholston was the 6th pick in the 2008 draft and by that measure has more talent than Cliff Avril who was the 92nd pick. Draft spots don't dictate talent. Perceived talent, maybe, but not actual talent.

Quote Originally Posted by BlessedinBlue22 View Post
    Brandon Myers flourished..Mc Fadden was doing well, b4 injuries, and Palmer looks like he may have a new home over in Oakland. It's not the organziation they influence, but it;s more on the player, to make right choices.
    Palmer is done in Oakland...

Quote Originally Posted by WR4Life View Post
    His draft spot unfortunately means nothing. Vernon Gholston was the 6th pick in the 2008 draft and by that measure has more talent than Cliff Avril who was the 92nd pick. Draft spots don't dictate talent. Perceived talent, maybe, but not actual talent.
    I'm not saying it is the sole reason that I believe the Giants should try and sign him, but what I am saying is that being the 8th pick indicates that at the very least, he has the ability to be a top player; whether he lives up to it or not is up to him. Also, there was no denying that Vernon Gholston was not worth the 6th pick in retrospect, but if you watched the tape and studied him like all of these "experts" and front offices do, it was clear that he had the ability to become a top player. But his problem was that he had a poor work ethic which came back to haunt him.

My point is that although the order in which a player is picked is not the best means of evaluating a player, I believe it is a pretty good indication of what he is capable of given the right conditions (coach, opportunity, environment, vet presence, etc.). Although players such as Cliff Avril and Tom Brady were not top 10 picks, let alone 1,2 rd picks, they were not perceived as having the best chance of succeeding in the NFL which you can argue as correct. Brady was by all means, not the best player in the draft entering it which most people can agree, but what Brady did with his opportunity in the NFL is what made him great. Now, are some people poorly evaluated and end up not having what it takes physically and mentally to succeed in the NFL? Sure, but most of the time, they are fairly accurate in projecting their talent in relation to percent chance of succeeding in the NFL.

McClain is still young and still has a chance to reach his potential in the NFL if he is given the right conditions to give him the best possible chance to succeed. Even though he lost his way a bit with the Raiders, I believe he deserves a 2nd chance and with the right organization and conditions, he can succeed and reach his potential.

I apologize for the essay of post, but I feel I needed to get my point across in the clearest way possible. Feel free to read it or simply skip over it.

Quote Originally Posted by bryan_kilmeade View Post
    I'm not saying it is the sole reason that I believe the Giants should try and sign him, but what I am saying is that being the 8th pick indicates that at the very least, he has the ability to be a top player; whether he lives up to it or not is up to him. Also, there was no denying that Vernon Gholston was not worth the 6th pick in retrospect, but if you watched the tape and studied him like all of these "experts" and front offices do, it was clear that he had the ability to become a top player. But his problem was that he had a poor work ethic which came back to haunt him.
    Wrong. Gholston was drafted because of POTENTIAL, but never for anything he showed on the field. Gholston had one great year (2007, and he was NO WHERE near as good as the stats show), in college and he was a workout warrior at the combine, which inflated his draft stock. I have never heard a single person question his work ethic, and I find the "work ethic" argument to be very trite. Anyone who busts in the NFL is now labeled as having a "poor work ethic," and its a poor mans excuse. He basically had one move, to be faster than the guy blocking him and would just run around him to the QB (which is feasible in college). He didn't have a variety of pass rush moves and didn't fight to get off blocks once initially engaged. You have no idea what you are saying and you clearly haven't watched any tape of him. He really was not a great football player at Ohio State. He fizzled because he just isn't a great football player; he has all the measurables, but sometimes physical characteristics don't translate to NFL success. He also happens to be an extremely reserved guy who had a hard time fitting in with the Jets.... he was very aloof, both in college and in the NFL.
    Last edited by speed3freak; 04-05-2013 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gmen0820 View Post
    Yeah but if he could body slam DeSean Jackson, It would all be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by speed3freak View Post
    Wrong. Gholston was drafted because of POTENTIAL, but never for anything he showed on the field. Gholston had one great year (2007, and he was NO WHERE near as good as the stats show), in college and he was a workout warrior at the combine, which inflated his draft stock. I have never heard a single person question his work ethic, and I find the "work ethic" argument to be very trite. Anyone who busts in the NFL is now labeled as having a "poor work ethic," and its a poor mans excuse. He basically had one move, to be faster than the guy blocking him and would just run around him to the QB (which is feasible in college). He didn't have a variety of pass rush moves and didn't fight to get off blocks once initially engaged. You have no idea what you are saying and you clearly haven't watched any tape of him. He really was not a great football player at Ohio State. He fizzled because he just isn't a great football player; he has all the measurables, but sometimes physical characteristics don't translate to NFL success. He also happens to be an extremely reserved guy who had a hard time fitting in with the Jets.... he was very aloof, both in college and in the NFL.

"He has a tendency to disappear at times as well, which brings up some concerns about how consistent he will be at the pro level."
    Excerpt from: http://football.about.com/od/nflplay...n_Gholston.htm

Excuse me if I worded it incorrectly, but what I meant by poor work ethic was that he occasionally took plays off which was listed as one of the reasons why he didn't reach the field, didn't give consistent effort.

I also don't appreciate the confrontational comment about not knowing what I am saying...comments like these are the one fault of these message boards. People get so confrontational, and begin putting down the other person for having different views or ideas.

I believe the topic was Rolando McClain, not draft bust Vernon Gholston.

+ Reply to Thread