+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    It'd be more about the writer wanting to distance his work from his Giants fanboy posts on a message board.
    This is precisely why I won't reveal my employers. I say some highly inflammatory stuff on here, and it would not look good on me to have that affiliated with my professional career. I post as a fan, not an analyst. Again, I am willing to analyze any college player you wish, as I have access to the 22 college tape. I know many of you guys question college players on here, and I figured, as a fan, I would extend my expertise to fellow giants fans. No harm in questioning me, I understand why you would experience trepidation about believing some shlub on the giants message boards affiliation with analysis sites. But I assure you, I am who I say I am.

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    i dont get why a website wouldnt want its writers generating hits tho on other sites. that doesnt make any sense to me. thatd be like me having a column for the times and then telling no one to read it...i dunno just that doesnt make sense otherwise u seem very knowledgable.
    Simple, I do not hold myself to the same standard here as I do when I write a column. What I write here is not something I want affiliated with my employers, and I am explicitly instructed not to be parading on fan forums as an employee of theirs. And, in all honesty, they do not need the traffic.
    Last edited by speed3freak; 04-08-2013 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by juice33s View Post
    Alot of it had to do with being the main man from the country's main program. You'd like to think that NFL talent evaluators would be impervious from variables like this, but they really aren't. The same thing nearly happened again with Teo, until he was unveiled in the National championship game and then later the fake girlfriend. Players from high profile schools who play high profile positions get over drafted all the time
    I couldn't agree more. From the folks I have spoken to, much of the drafting process ends up being based on a players name. It is unfortunate, but it has been proven over and over again. For example, one scout (whom I admit is a friend from college) I briefly spoke to from an AFC west team, pretty much told me that if there are two guys on the board, both at the same positions and similarly ranked, many teams will go for the guy whose name is "prettier and more well known" (direct quote from a college friend). Note, I said "many" and not "all," and this is where the metaphoric cream, rises to the top. The teams we see with consistent success draft based on skill and skill alone (recently, the Giants, Patriots, Seahawks, Packers and Niners come to mind) the actual draft process are two wholly different beasts.
    Last edited by speed3freak; 04-08-2013 at 12:40 AM.

Let's just draft Alec Ogletree and get this all over with

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    CAREER STATSMORE
    Season Team Tackles Interceptions Fumbles
    G GS Comb Total Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int Yds Avg Lng TDs FF
    2012 Oakland Raiders 11 9 62 37 25 1.0 -- 0 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 1
    2011 Oakland Raiders 15 14 99 77 22 5.0 1 14 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 0
    2010 Oakland Raiders 15 15 85 59 26 0.5 -- 6 1 10 10.0 10 0 0
    TOTAL 246 173 73 6.5 1 20 1 10 -- 10 0 1

I'm not sure he's even a short term answer.
    Im looking at that 211 stats he had and his 85 tackles the next year. Not too bad and I see potential.

Quote Originally Posted by speed3freak View Post
    This is precisely why I won't reveal my employers. I say some highly inflammatory stuff on here, and it would not look good on me to have that affiliated with my professional career. I post as a fan, not an analyst. Again, I am willing to analyze any college player you wish, as I have access to the 22 college tape. I know many of you guys question college players on here, and I figured, as a fan, I would extend my expertise to fellow giants fans. No harm in questioning me, I understand why you would experience trepidation about believing some shlub on the giants message boards affiliation with analysis sites. But I assure you, I am who I say I am.
    What do you think of DJ Fluker?

Redeye, McClain busted for a number of reasons, including his lack of in game athleticism. Yes, he displayed prototypical tackling technique. Yes, he can play the run well. But he lacks fluidity in his hips, which hinders his coverage ability, and he also has Average sideline-sideline range. He never should have been drafted to play the middle in a 4-3 base team as he lacks lateral range. I enjoyed watching him play at Alabama, and I was surprised in terms of how quickly he burned out of the NFL. Even though I felt he was NOT going to be a superstar, I never expected this poor of a career. I hope he gets his stuff together and can get back on the field, and his best shot is by signing with a 3-4 base team to play the middle.
    He would of obviously been better off in certain 3-4 defenses but far worse athletes then Mcclain have played MLB in the NFL and have had success. Mcclain didnt do well because of the "being a lazy idiot" measurable that is often difficult to calculate.

I couldn't agree more. From the folks I have spoken to, much of the drafting process ends up being based on a players name. It is unfortunate, but it has been proven over and over again. For example, one scout (whom I admit is a friend from college) I briefly spoke to from an AFC west team, pretty much told me that if there are two guys on the board, both at the same positions and similarly ranked, many teams will go for the guy whose name is "prettier and more well known" (direct quote from a college friend). Note, I said "many" and not "all," and this is where the metaphoric cream, rises to the top. The teams we see with consistent success draft based on skill and skill alone (recently, the Giants, Patriots, Seahawks, Packers and Niners come to mind) the actual draft process are two wholly different beasts.
    The team I've have really come to admire is the Seahawks. The media has blasted their drafts for the most part. They dont listen to outside influences, They trust their scouts and their board. The best thing about them is you can see an organizational philosophy and they take players that fit within it. Some teams like the Raiders for instance seem to draft with no real plan and the result is a mish mash of players that dont fit together properly. The Seahawks may not be taking the consensus top player on the board but are getting players that compliment what they want to do. I actually spend time over on the Seahawksdraftblog chatting up with their fans about the draft because I like what the organization has done so much. Im really interested in how the Jets progress from here with the Idzik hiring. If the way that organization does things rubs off on the Jets.
    Last edited by Redeyejedi; 04-08-2013 at 08:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    The team I've have really come to admire is the Seahawks. The media has blasted their drafts for the most part. They dont listen to outside influences they trust their scouts and their board. The best thing about them is you can see an organizational philosophy and they take players that fit within it. Some teams like the Raiders for instance seem to draft with no real plan and get a mish mash of players that doesnt fit together properly. The Seahawks may not be taking the consensus top player on the board but are getting players that compliment what they want to do. I actually spend time over on the Seahawksdraftblog chatting up with their fans about the draft because I like what the organization has done so much. Im really interested in how the Jets progress from here with the Idzik hiring. If the way that organization does things rubs off on the Jets.
    Yeah but how good would they have been if they didn't take Russell? They're lucky they had him to put everything together. Don't get me wrong, I still give them credit for drafting him, but everyone knew the story on the kid, and how he had everything but height.

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by gmen0820 View Post
    Yeah but how good would they have been if they didn't take Russell? They're lucky they had him to put everything together. Don't get me wrong, I still give them credit for drafting him, but everyone knew the story on the kid, and how he had everything but height.
    Their defense was great last year though. They where as much a reason for their success as the rookie was.