+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Kenny Vacarro?

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Question Kenny Vacarro?

    Are we all sleeping on the Safety position?

    Rolle is likely to be a cap casualty next year and we have two relative unknowns in Stevie Brown (UFA in 2014) and Will Hill (who we haven't seen enough of yet). I think we can all agree that Ryan Mundy was a vet depth move. With KP leaving this year any thoughts on the Giants drafting Kenny Vaccaro in the first?

    I've almost seen no mocks or talk about the Safety position and the Giants (early in the draft) but he's being projected right around where we pick (highest rated Safety in the draft too).

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    All-Pro titwio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bronx NYC
    Posts
    9,313
    I mentioned Vaccaro being an option for the Giants earlier this year but to be honest....I'd prefer to pass on him in the first and go after someone like Rambo in the 3rd, who could replace Rolle if they don't carry his contract after this year (which I see as a definite possibility). I really like Vaccaro's aggressiveness and physicality but I'm not excited about a safety in the 1st. There's some good safeties in this class to be had in other rounds and Elam is just as good if not better than him IMO.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by titwio View Post
    I mentioned Vaccaro being an option for the Giants earlier this year but to be honest....I'd prefer to pass on him in the first and go after someone like Rambo in the 3rd, who could replace Rolle if they don't carry his contract after this year (which I see as a definite possibility). I really like Vaccaro's aggressiveness and physicality but I'm not excited about a safety in the 1st. There's some good safeties in this class to be had in other rounds and Elam is just as good if not better than him IMO.
    I'll be honest, I haven't looked at the early Safeties a whole lot and haven't heard much buzz about them.

    Just wondering if we (the draft board hawking Giants MB peeps) are overlooking the Giants going in that direction.

    I agree with your take and that pick wouldn't excite me as well but not like there isn't precedent there for it.

  4. #4
    All-Pro nycsportzfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pittsfield, MA
    Posts
    31,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    Are we all sleeping on the Safety position?

    Rolle is likely to be a cap casualty next year and we have two relative unknowns in Stevie Brown (UFA in 2014) and Will Hill (who we haven't seen enough of yet). I think we can all agree that Ryan Mundy was a vet depth move. With KP leaving this year any thoughts on the Giants drafting Kenny Vaccaro in the first?

    I've almost seen no mocks or talk about the Safety position and the Giants (early in the draft) but he's being projected right around where we pick (highesat rated Safety in the draft too).

    Thoughts?
    I agree our saftey situation is less then ideal going forward, but we got enough to not have to take one in the 1st rd in my opinon.. I think Baccari Rambo is extremely underrated and there isn't a more instinctive/playmaking S in this class.. As much as i like Vaccaro, i'd pass, and try and get my hands on a upside player like Baccari Rambo in the 3rd..I think teams will truly regret letting Rambo slip to the 3rd, if he in fact does make it that far..

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    I agree our saftey situation is less then ideal going forward, but we got enough to not have to take one in the 1st rd in my opinon.. I think Baccari Rambo is extremely underrated and there isn't a more instinctive/playmaking S in this class.. As much as i like Vaccaro, i'd pass, and try and get my hands on a upside player like Baccari Rambo in the 3rd..I think teams will truly regret letting Rambo slip to the 3rd, if he in fact does make it that far..
    I agree but you could say that about a lot of our positions. We *could* go into the 2013 season with our current crop of DE, DT, CB, S, OT/OG and even LBer (ugh). This draft is really wide open for us.

  6. #6
    All-Pro nycsportzfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pittsfield, MA
    Posts
    31,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    I agree but you could say that about a lot of our positions. We *could* go into the 2013 season with our current crop of DE, DT, CB, S, OT/OG and even LBer (ugh). This draft is really wide open for us.
    Ya, but at DE we truly have very little to look forward to outside of Jason Pierre Paul.. Tuck will probably be gone, and who knows if Kiwi will even be around past this yr, and then its just Ojomo(i have some faith in him) and Tracy.. S seems more stable and a easier fix then DE and LB do, in my opinion.. Shoot, i think if u get Rambo in the 3rd, and have Rambo, Brown, Hill, going into next yr, assuming no other safety returns, u can add one "Mundy type vet" in FA'cy, adn again, be pretty much set at the positon...

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    Ya, but at DE we truly have very little to look forward to outside of Jason Pierre Paul.. Tuck will probably be gone, and who knows if Kiwi will even be around past this yr, and then its just Ojomo(i have some faith in him) and Tracy.. S seems more stable and a easier fix then DE and LB do, in my opinion.. Shoot, i think if u get Rambo in the 3rd, and have Rambo, Brown, Hill, going into next yr, assuming no other safety returns, u can add one "Mundy type vet" in FA'cy, adn again, be pretty much set at the positon...
    Preaching to the choir brother.

    Just trying to play to the lack of (seeming) interest shown as a draft day strategy Reese might be employing (sort of like taking Wilson last year was a bit of a surprise for most of us).

    The point is we don't have a desperate need at any position (even LBer from a numbers standpoint) so that leaves our first pick kind of a mystery. I know a lot of us are thinking DE in the first (I know I am) but the field is kind of wide open since they snagged all those DTs from the Eagles.

  8. #8
    All-Pro titwio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bronx NYC
    Posts
    9,313
    I think the people around here just really want a LB or OL that they've purposely removed that scenario from the equation...lol. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they went safety. I'm sure there will be a lot of hate threads around here but I can see Reese making that kind of move. If he does I really think it means the end of Antrel in 2014.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by titwio View Post
    I think the people around here just really want a LB or OL that they've purposely removed that scenario from the equation...lol. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they went safety. I'm sure there will be a lot of hate threads around here but I can see Reese making that kind of move. If he does I really think it means the end of Antrel in 2014.
    I'm almost positive at least one of those positions aren't in our first three picks this year (if not both of them).

    Our FO just hates on LBers and OL.

  10. #10
    All-Pro nycsportzfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pittsfield, MA
    Posts
    31,110
    Quote Originally Posted by titwio View Post
    I think the people around here just really want a LB or OL that they've purposely removed that scenario from the equation...lol. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they went safety. I'm sure there will be a lot of hate threads around here but I can see Reese making that kind of move. If he does I really think it means the end of Antrel in 2014.
    TO much value at the Safety positon this yr, as its really deep class, to go for one of the top 1or2 guys in the 1st, who really aren't full on definites to being better then some of the other safetys not ranked as high..


    I mean, u got Baccari Rambo, Eric Reid, JJ Wilcox, Phillip Thomas, Duke Williams, Tony Jefferson, and many other S prospects who could be better bvalue then a guy like Elam or Vaccaro in the top 20.. And this is coming from a guy who defended Vaccaro since the very early part of the college season.. I just dont think hes that great of value for our team in rd1...

    We got enough to get by right now at S, and its more a matter of after this upcoming yr, which as many know, a problem that looks like a problem now, cna end up not being one by this time next yr.. We will have a better idea about guys like Will Hill and if Stevie Brown is the real deal, and can simply draft a guy in the early rds or grab a solid bargain off the FA market if we have 2, or if we draft a guy like Rambo in the 3rd, give him some significant playing time going forward.. Its just not a super pressing need for this yr, albeit, i could see it of some importance and taking one in the 3rd-5th range, with eye on future more so then this yr...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts