+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: For those who want Ogletree

You could pull up videos that make any player look good or bad though. There are games Geno Smith looks Godly, and some he looks horrible. Same for those highly rated tackles. Same for Ansah or Werner. Same for Dee Miliner or Xavier Rhodes.

That's why for the most part, the draft is a crap shoot. It's all opinion for us. We aren't GMs with unlimited video footage or getting interviews.
    Last edited by TheAnalyst; 04-15-2013 at 10:33 PM.

5trive for Fiv5

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    You could pull up videos that make any player look good or bad though. There are games Geno Smith looks Godly, and some he looks horrible. Same for those highly rated tackles. Same for Ansah or Werner. Same for Dee Miliner or Xavier Rhodes.
    Which is exactly why you cant rely on one game. So it bugs me to no end that the only video of Ogletree people ever talk about here is the one against alabama.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    Very true.. Hence, weaknesses and strengths.. Ur taking a risk on anyone u draft, which we all know.. Most have us taking DJ Fluker now around the web, which would stink, because it'd be the 2nd yr i didn't like the pick.. Don't mind Wilson as much as the value we got em at.. I really hope its a defender..

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    Ogletree was awesome against alabama.. I don't see how u guys can possibly see anything diffrent? Watching that game, he stuck out lke a sore thumb with his play... He played against bama 100time better then Te'o did, and lets also not forget this is Alabama, and alot of those offensive lineman and blockers are gonna be playing on sundays, and aren't gonna do there jobs incorrectly everytime they go against Alec Ogletree.. I mean, they are good as well...
    That's the point, everyone he is going to face on Sunday is good or better than that Bama line. If they were able to push him around it will happen more often at this level. I don't doubt the guys ability, but I don't see a mid level 1st, more of a project 2nd.

Go too this link, sorry but I don't know how to put the video up in the post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPKA0uM-9_Q

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfam04 View Post
    Go too this link, sorry but I don't know how to put the video up in the post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPKA0uM-9_Q
    Some of the weaknesses in his game are more apparent in that video. I think it shows the 1 concern that I have always had about him(aside from character concerns): he definitely relies a little heavily on his athleticism to make plays and it causes him to get a little sloppy at times.

You can see a few problems when blockers get to him. He takes them on with the wrong shoulder or lets them swallow him up without using his arms, taking them on with his body. I see a few plays where he loses site of the ball carrier. Lastly, I do not think he shows good passrushing instincts or moves in this game, he tries to juke blockers rather then take them on with proper technique.

Some of his weaknesses in this game explain why he did seem to have trouble with a mobile QB.

There are still good things to like about him, even in this game. But I am glad this video was posted so people don't just look at the Bama game as if it is the only barometer. People should see some of the bad too.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    Some of the weaknesses in his game are more apparent in that video. I think it shows the 1 concern that I have always had about him(aside from character concerns): he definitely relies a little heavily on his athleticism to make plays and it causes him to get a little sloppy at times.

You can see a few problems when blockers get to him. He takes them on with the wrong shoulder or lets them swallow him up without using his arms, taking them on with his body. I see a few plays where he loses site of the ball carrier. Lastly, I do not think he shows good passrushing instincts or moves in this game, he tries to juke blockers rather then take them on with proper technique.

Some of his weaknesses in this game explain why he did seem to have trouble with a mobile QB.

There are still good things to like about him, even in this game. But I am glad this video was posted so people don't just look at the Bama game as if it is the only barometer. People should see some of the bad too.
    Some think the bama game is bad..lol I personally don't.. He was a big reason they were even close in that game, despite bama scoring alot. They'd of gotten crushed without him that day, i honestly believe...

I think it speaks volume how much improved GA defense was with Ogletree in the lineup then without.. Its all about making ur defense better, and i think he does that 100pct.. Not to mention, its his strengths that we lack in the LB core.. Sure, he has weaknesses , but his strengths are speed and athletic ability and ability to cover, and those are all key things this LB core and defense for that matter lack.. A good defense combines many strengths making one solid unit, so adding the things that Ogletree does well is important...

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Which is exactly why you cant rely on one game. So it bugs me to no end that the only video of Ogletree people ever talk about here is the one against alabama.
    Well, Ive seen Ogletree in several games last year, and I like what I saw. He has all the physical abilities, just maybe didnt have the great coaching needed to keep a player going 100% all the time. Thats where our coaches step in. Ogletree is a pure athlete, like JPP was when we drafted him. JPP didnt always show he would be great on his college tape. He needed to learn, and still learn how to overcome things. Like I said though, the one thing that bothers me about Ogletree is the off the field stuff.

5trive for Fiv5

All-Pro
    There is just something about Giants fans wanting a LB in the 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    Ogletree was awesome against alabama.. I don't see how u guys can possibly see anything diffrent? Watching that game, he stuck out lke a sore thumb with his play... He played against bama 100time better then Te'o did, and lets also not forget this is Alabama, and alot of those offensive lineman and blockers are gonna be playing on sundays, and aren't gonna do there jobs incorrectly everytime they go against Alec Ogletree.. I mean, they are good as well...
    I believe I marked all of the times on the Alabama game video where Ogletree kind of sucked.

There were a lot of them.

And Alabama is still bush-league compared to the pros. So if Ogletree is getting pushed around like that at the NCAA level there's no reason to expect anything different at the pro level.

+ Reply to Thread