+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: For those who want Ogletree

Strengths Has excellent speed for the position, can turn on the jets to chase plays down form behind. Beats blocks with hand quickness, plays the position like a safety with a chance to build a frame like a linebacker. That helps undercut blocks to make tackles for loss from behind. Can really hit when he wants to. Attacks blockers with authority. Best at closing on the edge, when running back looks to bounce outside or the quarterback scrambles out of the pocket. Flashes plays where he looks possessed, like nothing will stop him. Stick to running backs out of the backfield in coverage, even with a slip he has enough closing speed to be reliable in coverage. Attacks the football when tackling in the hopes of creating a fumble. Outstanding straight-line speed. Plays loose.

Weaknesses Rarely uses hands to fight with blockers despite an aggressive mentality. Overruns a lot of plays between the tackles, struggles to recover. Has a lot of issues dealing with second level blocks from the offensive line, rarely can work over top of them, there winds up walled off. Run and chase player at this point, loses gap integrity with false or wasted steps. Dives or lunges for a lot of tackles rather than running through them and wrapping up. Mentality changes when attacking an offensive lineman compared to a running back.

NFL Comparison Thomas Davis

Bottom Line It is tough to question Ogletree's athleticism at the linebacker position. Just watching him close on runs or swing passes on the edge is worth the price of admission. Despite playing the last two years at inside linebacker in the Bulldogs 3-4 defense, it would not be surprising to see Ogletree make the switch to weakside linebacker in a defense that uses a four man front. The reason being is the junior struggles to get over top of blocks but does his best work chasing and closing. Expect the Bulldog to be a three down player if he cuts down on wasted steps. Since Ogletree is expected to impress in workouts, expect him to be a top-50 selection.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profil...ree?id=2540143
    ZERO quality wins the last 2 seasons. Major changes are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    The bottom line is our defense needs more playmaking ability and less simple run defenders that are one dimensonal in that area.. They need playmakers, and there is no better playmaker in this draft from the LB positon, and upside for that matter... THis guy isn't even a finished product..
    I do agree that he is a game changer. The only thing is the Giants have a few WLB's . So while I do believe he has more ability then the players they have the Giants have + value at that position considering the assets used to player ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    I do agree that he is a game changer. The only thing is the Giants have a few WLB's . So while I do believe he has more ability then the players they have the Giants have + value at that position considering the assets used to player ratio.
    Lets not forget that JWill isnt exactly an Ironman out there though. His nagging injuries seem to hamper him quite a bit.
    ZERO quality wins the last 2 seasons. Major changes are needed.

Ya, it all depends on what the giants think of Ogletree as a MLB, or maybe they think hes a versatile plaeyr that can step in at WLB if a injury occurs, while also building up his frame and strength to be fulltime MLB.

We shall see...

Pine Barrens, NJ.. where we still hunt dinner.
    The bottom line is our defense needs more playmaking ability and less simple run defenders that are one dimensonal in that area.. They need playmakers, and there is no better playmaker in this draft from the LB positon, and upside for that matter... THis guy isn't even a finished product..
    My thoughts exactly. You can analyze everyone in this draft and find some faults, but put them under a good NFL coaching staff for a year or two and you can watch someone "like" Ogletree become a Pro Bowler type of guy down the road. Before I get reamed, Im not saying he will or wont be one, but he has the athleticism to be elite if he could just polish up his skills and prove himself in the pros.

"Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise."
    - Homer J. Simpson

Pine Barrens, NJ.. where we still hunt dinner.
    Ya, it all depends on what the giants think of Ogletree as a MLB, or maybe they think hes a versatile plaeyr that can step in at WLB if a injury occurs, while also building up his frame and strength to be fulltime MLB.

We shall see...
    I think if the Giants draft Ogle it will be with the minset of converting him to Mike, which I dont think will be a problem if he improves his work ethic and gets that head of his on straight and in the game. Thats the risk you take with a pick like him, but Im all for it.

"Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise."
    - Homer J. Simpson

Agree.
    " Success is never final, but failure can be " B.P.

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfam04 View Post
    I never said JWill was athletic as Ogletree, what I said was JWill is no scrub and does a solid job at it. So we would be drafting a guy who does what JWill does only better and not solving the weak middle of the D. Yes he stopped Eddie Lacy in his tracks, so what. I am not oppose drafting the guy, just opposed drafting him in the 1st round. He is not the end all be all, if you ask me I would rather take Jon Bostic out of FL in a later round. He is a thumper against the run and is adequate against the pass. I think he would help our D be more physical up the middle, which even John Mara said was the weak spot on our team.
    I like Bostic (I've talked about him on here before), but the dude straight up disappears in games. When he was coming out of high school I thought he was going to be the next bad dude on the block in the SEC... he never lived up to it. I agree we need a more physical presence in the middle, it's all I talked about last year before the draft. There's a reason he's projected to go in the 3rd-4th and Ogletree has been projected as the top LB in the draft.

So what?! You say you want a physical presence in the middle... a guy shutting down one of the most powerful RBs in college football is EXACTLY what a physical player does! He RACKED UP tackles in the SEC while being new to the position. He's got speed and can add weight. He's also really good in coverage. He's the best LB in this draft... Trust me though, I'm all for waiting til next year and doing whatever it takes to get CJ Mosley out of Alabama.

By the way, that's what you do in a draft. You draft players that can be better than the current ones you have.
    2014 MOCK DRAFT:
    1. CJ Mosley (Alabama, LB)
    2. Odell Beckham Sr. (LSU, WR)
    3. Tre Mason (Auburn, RB)
    4. Anthony Steen (Alabama, OG)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSabbath View Post
    I like Bostic (I've talked about him on here before), but the dude straight up disappears in games. When he was coming out of high school I thought he was going to be the next bad dude on the block in the SEC... he never lived up to it. I agree we need a more physical presence in the middle, it's all I talked about last year before the draft. There's a reason he's projected to go in the 3rd-4th and Ogletree has been projected as the top LB in the draft.

So what?! You say you want a physical presence in the middle... a guy shutting down one of the most powerful RBs in college football is EXACTLY what a physical player does! He RACKED UP tackles in the SEC while being new to the position. He's got speed and can add weight. He's also really good in coverage. He's the best LB in this draft... Trust me though, I'm all for waiting til next year and doing whatever it takes to get CJ Mosley out of Alabama.

By the way, that's what you do in a draft. You draft players that can be better than the current ones you have.
    I know why you draft players and yes we need to be much more physical in the middle on D AND O. But as I said before imo we would be better suited going CB, DL, OL and picking a guy like Bostic in later rounds. Saying Ogletree in the best LB isn't saying a lot either. Ogletree disappears in games also so I wouldn't use that as a valid argument. IMO he is a boom or bust guy, IF he takes to coaching, IF he doesn't get into trouble, IF he works hard he would be special that's to many if for a 1st round guy. The guy is talented but he has a lot of question marks.

As for next year, l all for tanking the season to get the 1st overall pick and taking Jadeveon Clowney lol

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfam04 View Post
    I know why you draft players and yes we need to be much more physical in the middle on D AND O. But as I said before imo we would be better suited going CB, DL, OL and picking a guy like Bostic in later rounds. Saying Ogletree in the best LB isn't saying a lot either. Ogletree disappears in games also so I wouldn't use that as a valid argument. IMO he is a boom or bust guy, IF he takes to coaching, IF he doesn't get into trouble, IF he works hard he would be special that's to many if for a 1st round guy. The guy is talented but he has a lot of question marks.

As for next year, l all for tanking the season to get the 1st overall pick and taking Jadeveon Clowney lol
    hahaha... well I won't argue that we may have more pressing needs but we'll see what sort of value is there. There are other LBs I like later but none of them are gamechangers like Ogletree can be. And I have rarely seen him disappear in games. Even if so, when he shows up, it's much stronger than I've seen from other LBs in this draft. I also don't think he has that many question marks... not as many as some at least. All a matter of opinion though. Cheers!
    2014 MOCK DRAFT:
    1. CJ Mosley (Alabama, LB)
    2. Odell Beckham Sr. (LSU, WR)
    3. Tre Mason (Auburn, RB)
    4. Anthony Steen (Alabama, OG)

+ Reply to Thread