+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Margus Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    The fact that Smith is 35yrs old and still exceling and has been in the league for a very long time(the old will his body hold up thing ur using).. He dosen't have to play as long as Smith to be considered a good lengthy NFL career worthy of a 1st rd pick.. In my opinion, if he plays well into his 33-35th birthday, u got a guy who was well worth the late 1st it took to get em..

Jared Allen is 31 and showing no signs of slowing down either..
    Ok ... but would you say that they're the norm?

Expecting Margus Hunt to be in the EXTREMELY low percentile of DEs that have that long and storied a career is unrealistic. Especially when starting out with a handicap (being a 26 year old rookie).

That's not to say that he won't be a good DE ... just that first round picks are so scrutinized and prized that any little perceived defect in a prospect will be magnified (and starting 4 years late in an NFL career is hardly a *little* defect).

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    Ok ... but would you say that they're the norm?

Expecting Margus Hunt to be in the EXTREMELY low percentile of DEs that have that long and storied a career is unrealistic. Especially when starting out with a handicap (being a 26 year old rookie).

That's not to say that he won't be a good DE ... just that first round picks are so scrutinized and prized that any little perceived defect in a prospect will be magnified (and starting 4 years late in an NFL career is hardly a *little* defect).
    If hes good, he'll be around awhile, if hes not, he won't... With NFL FA'cy , chances are ur not gonna have the guy longer then 6-9 yrs anyways, as its even more rare to have a guy around longer then that on one team, so if he plays 5-7 yrs of good football here and helps bring us to the postseason 3-4 more times, then it was well worth it, and if he dosen't have a 10yr NFL career, who cares?

We just drafted a RB last yr in RD1, right? Those guys shelf life is very short, and that didn't stop us from drafting one in the first rd.. Shoot, theres RB's that are considered old in there 20's still...

Love Hunt. His potential really intrigues me. He needs to work on hand technique and most inportantly leverage off snap. He will terrorize QBs in the backfield and passing lanes. I see him playing all positions on the line by next year. Plus 7 blocked field goals... that is not coincidence.

Baltimore or NE will get him ...he fits that hybrid mold they like.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    Being a good player has nothing to do with how well his body holds up.

And what part of Margus Hunt reminds you of Justin Smith exactly? If he had Smith's career, he'd be 38 right now.
    Assuming he ends up as good as Justin Smith is a bit of a reach. Justin Smith at the top of his game was the best 3-4 end in the NFL. In 2011 he might of been the best defensive player in the entire NFL. What Justin Smith did past 30 is a rare feat that only few players have achieved.
    Hunt is physically impressive yes but he is already at peak physical ability and played his career against players who were at least 4 years younger and outside of a handful of games was rater blahh in a weaker conference

Quote Originally Posted by blu_buddha View Post
    Love Hunt. His potential really intrigues me. He needs to work on hand technique and most inportantly leverage off snap. He will terrorize QBs in the backfield and passing lanes. I see him playing all positions on the line by next year. Plus 7 blocked field goals... that is not coincidence.

Baltimore or NE will get him ...he fits that hybrid mold they like.
    Ya, i like em a ton as well.. I think he'll be fine and play long enough to make it worth a late 1st, early 2nd...

What's the big deal with age? So what if he only gives say 4 good years? Contract up...let him go...no harm, no foul. I'd love to get him in 2nd, but don't think he will be there then.

Anyone who thinks his age isn't a big part of his draft value is kidding themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    Anyone who thinks his age isn't a big part of his draft value is kidding themselves.
    No one doubts his draft value is gonna be effected by it.. The guys still gonna go in the first rd or top of 2nd, so its not that big a deal.. Its not like teams are gonna take the guy in the 5th or something.. Ur still making quite a investment if he goes in the first or even 2nd rd... U could even make the arguement that even if he was 23 yrs old and played how he did, he might only be a top 25pick, or so... But ya, i'm sure some teams will consider his age and not take em,i for one woulden't be one of those teams.. I have em as a late 1st based soley on how much i like em without even really taking his age into consideration...

weeden went when he did and he's 26 iirc too...

anyways, nah id dislike the pick. plays too high. questionable close in speed. technique issues...

watch NE take him and convert him to a RT

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    Assuming he ends up as good as Justin Smith is a bit of a reach. Justin Smith at the top of his game was the best 3-4 end in the NFL. In 2011 he might of been the best defensive player in the entire NFL. What Justin Smith did past 30 is a rare feat that only few players have achieved.
    Hunt is physically impressive yes but he is already at peak physical ability and played his career against players who were at least 4 years younger and outside of a handful of games was rater blahh in a weaker conference
    Preach.

+ Reply to Thread