+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bench Player

I would trade down ... get more picks since we have more than 1 need RT-DE-CB-S, etc.

these guys should be available for us when we pick at 19:

Damontre Moore DE
    Jarvis Jones OLB
    Johnathan Hankins DT
    Dion Jordan 3-4 OLB
    Manti Te'o MLB
    Eric Reid S
    Xavier Rhodes CB
    Alec Ogletree OLB
    Datone Jones DE
    D.J. Fluker RT
    Tyler Eifert TE
    Cornelius Carradine DE

why get 1 of those at 19 when we can get 2 of them (maybe 3 after 2 rounds with a trade down)?

Our needs:
    T- the 3 best tackles will be out before our pick. The value for a T will not be there at 19 (round 2 Pugh, Watson possibilities)
    CB- Outside Xavier Rhodes, the value will not be there at 19 for CB (plus the draft is deep at CB) Round 3-4
    MLB- no value at ALL at 19... at pick 25+ yes Te'o or Minter.
    DE- Moore at 19 nah... Carradine nah... Jones nah...

without a trade down I would pick Xavier Rhodes
    with a trade down I would get BPA at those positions (DE-CB-T-LB)

I think there is a bit of a logjam at DB to be honest.

Guys who are locks
    Prince, Webster, Hosley, Stevie Brown, Rolle
    Very likely
    T2, Ross, Will Hill, Sash

Thats 9 guys right there.

They took 9 guys into the season last year (not including Sash who was suspended)

Now Im not saying they wont draft a guy, but its going to force them to release either a young guy, or a guy they just resigned (Ross).

Next year, its completely possible that Webster and Rolle will be gone, then they could bring in more guys.

It wouldnt surprise me if they skipped over the DB position in this draft, then took a couple guys next season.

Ya, i think alot of teams are thinking this same strategy and most will want to do the same thing.. Maybe u get a contender from last yr that has piles of picks trying to move up for a specific player like the niners or maybe the dolphins or vikes wanna move up with there picks, but most likely teams are gonna wanna do the same thing ur suggesting, and Reese has shown reluctance in trading outta his slots...

But ya, i'd love to trade down and add picks..

Dion Jordan will be long gone by 19.. just saying

Every year there are people asking for the trade down. The problem is you need a trade partner. Those will not be easy to find this year, especially for a trade up(from their perspective.)

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    I think there is a bit of a logjam at DB to be honest.Guys who are locksPrince, Webster, Hosley, Stevie Brown, RolleVery likelyT2, Ross, Will Hill, SashThats 9 guys right there. They took 9 guys into the season last year (not including Sash who was suspended)Now Im not saying they wont draft a guy, but its going to force them to release either a young guy, or a guy they just resigned (Ross).Next year, its completely possible that Webster and Rolle will be gone, then they could bring in more guys.
    We have two quality starting outside corners. One of which was terrible last year and will likely not be on the team next year. Not much of a logjam if you ask me. You want to draft a quality player this year so that he is ready to play next year. Relying on a rookie at cb is not wise.It wouldnt surprise me if they skipped over the DB position in this draft, then took a couple guys next season. I view pass rusher and corner as our biggest needs.

I don't think you can compare the DBs they took into the final 53 to stocking the position in the initial 90. For as many CBs they had on roster during the season, they didn't exactly have the relief once Coe and Prince were injured.

I'd much rather take extra DBs on the final roster, some of which that can assume the role of the gunner or returner in STs, than an extra WR.

I think it's a position where they won't have an urge to reach for anyone, but you'd have to think the best case scenario is to grab someone this year. It's hard enough to choreograph your draft this year, let alone next year's. Not to mention, I don't think any team wants to be in a position where they either have to start a rookie, sign a veteran in a tight cap or rest on Webster, Ross or Thomas who all have their concerns. Any one of those can bounce back and be re-signed, but I hardly think that's on the minds during draft day.

This draft we don't have a definitive *need*.

While we could use some perceived help at a few positions, the positions in question are covered (i.e. MLB, RT, etc ...).

We definitely have no need at all of defensive secondary. I think we may go with a CB this draft because it's deep in CBs and we'll look to replace either Ross (this year) or CWeb (next year).

Right Tackle and MLB are the biggest question marks in my mind. Physically we have them answered with Brewer/DD (RT) and Connor/Herzlich (MLB) but I think there are big concerns there (at least from the fan base).

Reese isn't a trade-savvy GM (at least to date) so I don't see us trading back for more picks. I wouldn't mind trading out of the first and picking Brown up as our first pick in the second round and getting a few more picks out of the deal but historically speaking, that's not likely to happen (both us trading back and picking an MLB with our first pick).

Pine Barrens, NJ.. where we still hunt dinner.
    If webby plays like last season I want him riding pine. I don't think we have a stud cb outside of prince and think we def pick one up at some point this draft, if not in the first few rounds. Rounds 1-3 are loaded w talent.

"Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise."
    - Homer J. Simpson

Pine Barrens, NJ.. where we still hunt dinner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    I wouldn't mind trading out of the first and picking Brown up as our first pick in the second round and getting a few more picks out of the deal but historically speaking, that's not likely to happen (both us trading back and picking an MLB with our first pick).
    If only.. I love that idea if we snatched Brown.

"Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise."
    - Homer J. Simpson