"I want talent around me, frankly,”

“There’s opportunities. Everywhere in the league you see guys breaking records with how much they’re making and all that kind of stuff, and honestly, you want fair market value."

“I don’t really care about breaking records too much. I want to break records on the field. I want to win games, I want to have as many good players around me as I possibly can.”

While the sense around the league is that Stafford and the Lions will work out a new deal by the start of the season – Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers is closing in on an extension that will pay somewhere north of Joe Flacco’s record average of $20.1 million a season – Stafford said he's determined not to let negotiations be a distraction if they drag on.

"I don’t expect it to be a distraction. I personally don’t want it to be,"

"I like to focus on one thing and go after it, and whatever it is that's it, and right now it’s football for me. That’s kind of why I’m letting the agents kind of talk to the front office here and figure that stuff out. I would imagine there would come a point where we’re either getting it done or not. I think they want to do something, I want to do something, we’ll figure something out hopefully and if not then we’ll move on and table it for a year."
Detroit Free Press

While this would have held more weight had Stafford not been a recipient of one of the exorbitant, first-round rookie contracts that were synonymous with the previous CBA, it's still nice to hear a player of his stature come out and say something like that.

"honestly, you want fair market value."

And while "fair market value" for a supposed franchise QB will still be incredibly substantial, the Lions, with so much of their future cap already occupied by Calvin Johnson, will no doubt welcome any discount (however slight) with open arms.