+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ty Powell LB Harding

I am wondering about this kid as potentially our future SLB? He used to play Safety before transferring to Harding, and i read that Jeff Fitzgerald worked the kid out for about a hour, and he displayed great ball skills and looked really good in the drills, and he also played QB in high school, so this kids got a good perspective on many diffrent positons on the field and was playing safety at 6ft 4in 240lbs before moving on to Harding, and has some coverege ability from his former time at safety, and had a nice combine to boot.... Some have him projected as a 3/4 OLB, but with his background at Safety, and his speed for his size, and strength, i'm thinking he could play some OLB for a 4/3 team.. Thoughts?

He also played DE, and could be a solid situational pass rusher as well.. This kid can do alot of things on the football field... A intersting prospect, that i wish i could watch some tape on...

Heres some tape of him playing safety before transferring to Harding.. Ridiculous closing speed, and shows he can do some things in coverege, and were talking about SLB if he came here..

Ty Powell De Anza College - YouTube

► 4:30 www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9MQ-RfSCM4

National Football Post's Russ Lande writes Harding DL Ty Powell could slip into the bottom of the third-round."...Powell’s workout reinforced his strong Combine workout and stellar play at Harding and has him in position to be a likely fourth round pick who could slip into the bottom of the third if the rumors I have been hearing from NFL personnel are correct," Lande writes. Powell could be a good fit as a strong-side linebacker in a 4-3 defense. Mar 7 - 1:38 PM

Source: National Football Post
    Never heard of him, but I found this

Wow, Lande thinks he can go as high as 3rd rd, ey? I was thinking 4th myself, but that isn't to far off.. he also agrees about 43 SLB, which is funny, because i was just knocking Lande the other day, and here we are in agreement a couple days later..lol Ya, like i said, watch that video, the kids got the expierence in coverege, and can work through traffic to defend the run and get off blocks, and has the closing speed to chop down RB's and QB's behind the line as well as some speed.. I like em, but would like to see more film..

Scouts Inc.'s Kevin Weidl believes Harding's Ty Powell is a great fit at SLB or as a pass rusher in a 3-4.Weidl makes sure to note that he is "very high on" the Harding product. Powell "has traits that translate to NFL level," tweeted Weidl. "Long, explosive and covers a lot of ground in a hurry." Mar 3 - 2:53 PM

Source: Kevin Weidl on Twitter
    Here's another one..

Yup, that closing speed jumps off the tape above.. I didn't realize so many others were high on him as well.. He has so much versatility its not funny.. If we were to get a Alec Ogletree at inside LB and then Ty Powell at SLB, with Jaquian Williams as our future WLB, we'd have a nice trio of backers, that are fast and instinctive and can play the pass, and the run, especially in powells case.. I think that would be a crazy trio of backers..

Heres a overview of Powell from NFL.COM

Overview
    While Powell is a defensive end now, his high school career certainly wouldn’t have given you any indication of that. As a senior, Powell led Seaside High School to a state championship victory as the starting quarterback and cornerback. Powell’s career started at DeAnza College. As a sophomore, he was first team all-state, first-team All-Golden Gate Conference and Golden Gate Conference Defensive Most Valuable Player. In his sophomore year, he had 69 tackles, including 3.5 tackles for loss, two sacks, two interceptions, and five pass breakups.

In 2011, Powell started three games and had seven tackles (2.5 for loss) and two sacks. As a senior, Powell recorded 40 tackles (15 for loss) and 8.5 sacks. After the season, Powell participated in both the Texas vs. The Nation Game, and in the Senior Bowl. Powell was also named second-team All-America by D2football.com. He is only the second Bison to earn All-America honors from the organization, who also named Torrance “Tank” Daniels to its All-America team in 2005

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    Yup, that closing speed jumps off the tape above.. I didn't realize so many others were high on him as well.. He has so much versatility its not funny.. If we were to get a Alec Ogletree at inside LB and then Ty Powell at SLB, with Jaquian Williams as our future WLB, we'd have a nice trio of backers, that are fast and instinctive and can play the pass, and the run, especially in powells case.. I think that would be a crazy trio of backers..
    That's sounds good too me.. Need upgrades at the mike and sam, here's his pro day

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JmzKXntDOd4

Quote Originally Posted by Carter.525 View Post
    That's sounds good too me.. Need upgrades at the mike and sam, here's his pro day

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JmzKXntDOd4
    Not to often, u can get a player of so many capabilities.. This kid does alittle bit of everything, and can make plays all over the field.. I'd think Fewell would be very excited to have this guy aboard...

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    Not to often, u can get a player of so many capabilities.. This kid does alittle bit of everything, and can make plays all over the field.. I'd think Fewell would be very excited to have this guy aboard...
    He slipped through the cracks for me, as I've said I've never heard of him.. But I'm becoming a fan. He looks like a good fit at SLB