+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jerry Reese Draft Picks: Breakdown By Position

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by myles2424 View Post
    someones dropping the ball on LBs in the scouting department.....Every year we hear how supposedly none of them fit our system,or there wasn't anyone their that they feel would make a difference....Yet every year theres LBs that go on to produce,while we draft guys like dillard,goff,sintim,etc...
    I am the first person to critique the team but please the scouting department is the last thing on the list of who deserves blame.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    All the scouts scout all the positions... so all of them are missing it.

But the bigger truth is, in the first three rounds, the giants have not passed up a good LB to draft a bum. They have continually picked guys who were very good over LBs.

Do you fault them for taking JPP over Weatherspoon? Or Linval over Washington?

I personally cant.
    I don't fault them for those picks, but our LBs being such a weak spot for soo long, one could definetly argue, Washington,Sean lee,Navarro bowman wich all 3 were BPA lbs instead of linval joseph , would've been wiser choices....but ofcourse we got a good player in Joseph, but going back in time I'm sure we would've picked differently.....
    Even when lavonte David, a lb that was every bit 1st round talent comes within a few picks of our 2nder, why not get Agressive & make a trade? I don't like trading up but when you have a chance at grabbing a guy that'd solve a major problem,you do it.....
    Everyone's got their own opinion on our LBs, but no matter what position, you don't adress a area of need on your defense with late round picks,projects,guys that cant stay healthy & their original teams didn't even want them back......eventually you've got to wonder what the hell is going on....Williams is our most talented Lb & he was a total project and still doesn't have a full grasp of the game yet....that says alot about the talen we have back there

Quote Originally Posted by myles2424 View Post
    I don't fault them for those picks, but our LBs being such a weak spot for soo long, one could definetly argue, Washington,Sean lee,Navarro bowman wich all 3 were BPA lbs instead of linval joseph , would've been wiser choices....but ofcourse we got a good player in Joseph, but going back in time I'm sure we would've picked differently.....
    Even when lavonte David, a lb that was every bit 1st round talent comes within a few picks of our 2nder, why not get Agressive & make a trade? I don't like trading up but when you have a chance at grabbing a guy that'd solve a major problem,you do it.....
    Everyone's got their own opinion on our LBs, but no matter what position, you don't adress a area of need on your defense with late round picks,projects,guys that cant stay healthy & their original teams didn't even want them back......eventually you've got to wonder what the hell is going on....Williams is our most talented Lb & he was a total project and still doesn't have a full grasp of the game yet....that says alot about the talen we have back there
    Just going with draft picks, if we didn't have Linval Joseph, and knowing now about Canty's injuries, we'd of had zip, squat, nothing at DT without Linval last yr, and Austin has been a bust.. Linvals a beast, and his best days are most likely in front of em as he continues to get better and better.. Nah, i'm still going Linval Joseph in my opinion..

The only thing i could see if picking bobby wagner with last pick of rd 1 last yr, but as SLIP said, its hard to say yet on that, becaseu David Wilson will most likely pile up yardage as our starter going forward, but if he ends up injury prone or dosen't do as well as expected, that could be a blunder..

I find it interesting that we've picked as many QB's as we have DE's under Reese. And only ONE guard drafted under Reese. . .do we put away any hopes of picking one of the highly rated ones in the first round or two?
    We need our coaches to assign playing time based on something other than player salary.

Quote Originally Posted by RagTime Blue View Post
    I find it interesting that we've picked as many QB's as we have DE's under Reese. And only ONE guard drafted under Reese. . .do we put away any hopes of picking one of the highly rated ones in the first round or two?
    Its not really surprising when u have Kiwi, Tuck, and OSI on the roster all signed to deals and in there 20's.. Why would they keep drafting DE's, when they have those guys?

That list is a little disengenuous since it doesn't list picks by order.

It makes sense that the Giants (or any team) drafts more LBers than any other position ... there are more starting LBer positions then any other position on an NFL team (spread offenses aside for a moment).

What that doesn't tell you, is that Reese has only ever drafted one LBer in the first three rounds (his prize rounds) and that guy was a total bust (Sintim).

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    That list is a little disengenuous since it doesn't list picks by order.

It makes sense that the Giants (or any team) drafts more LBers than any other position ... there are more starting LBer positions then any other position on an NFL team (spread offenses aside for a moment).

What that doesn't tell you, is that Reese has only ever drafted one LBer in the first three rounds (his prize rounds) and that guy was a total bust (Sintim).
    He inhereted a 3rd rd pick in only his 2nd yr in Gerris Wilkinson as well... I guess inheret is a bad word,seeing how reese i'm sure played a big part in drafting em as he was assistant GM then.. They covet good LB's, and try and draft good ones, they just havent drafted well in that regard is all.. Its certainly not for lack of trying though, as u had Gerris Wilkinson(3rd), Clint Sintim(2nd), Phil Dillard(4th), Jon Goff(5th), Bryan Kehl(4th), Greg Jones(6th), Jaquain Williams(6th)..etc

The point is they try hard to draft well at all positons, but ones that they have no success,they obviously have to keep trying, hence u will see the number of players drafted from that positon add up to more then others..

Quote Originally Posted by NYGfanSTRICK View Post
    I think it is funny how the position he has drafted the most is still arguably our biggest need. Maybe we should think to draft one a bit earlier than in the past haha..
    I would say that the secondary is still our biggest need because they're always injured. Those 8 or 9 LB picks by JR have mostly been mid-to-late round picks.

This list is meaningless with out the average round by position as well. Earlier picks tend to pan out more than late round picks obviously. So if we take 5 LBs from round 4 on and 1 DE in round 1 it doesn't mean we value LBs higher just that the first round pick panned out so we don't need another while those late picks did not pan out so we have to keep searching.

+ Reply to Thread