+ Reply to Thread

Draft Positional Preview: Special Teams

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/gia...-special-teams

Excerpt: "Position: Special teams.

Depth chart: P Steve Weatherford, K Josh Brown, K David Buehler, P/K Jake Rogers, LS Zak DeOssie, KR David Wilson, KR Andre Brown, KR Jerrel Jernigan, PR Rueben Randle.

The departed: K Lawrence Tynes (free agent), PR Domenik Hixon (Carolina).

Scouting report: The Giants are solid at punter with Weatherford, who averaged 47.5 yards per punt last season and landed 22 of 58 punts inside the 20. Long snapper and special teams captain DeOssie adds stability and chemistry on special teams as well. But the unit will have a major change at kicker.

The Giants are moving on without Tynes, signing three other kickers (Brown, Buehler and Rogers). Brown is expected to be the man, but Buehler should have an opportunity to compete for the job. Brown, 33, has had a season-long field goal of 52 yards or longer in each of his 10 seasons, with a career long of 58 yards, which was during his rookie season in 2003. He has made 81.3 percent of his kicks and averages 64.1 yards on kickoffs.

Buehler averages 66.8 yards on kickoffs and made 24 of 32 field goals in 2010, his only season kicking field goals, for the Cowboys. He has a career long of 53 yards.

After kicker, the Giants have some uncertainty in their return game. Wilson was electric on kickoffs last season, amassing 1,533 return yards and one touchdown. But his workload at running back is going to increase, and the Giants have to consider how much they want to risk their prized running back on kickoffs. If they opt not to use him, the Giants could turn to Jernigan or Brown on kickoffs.

Randle averaged 7.2 yards per punt return last year. He could be the punt returner again. Jernigan is also an option here. Aaron Ross has return experience and could be in the mix if the Giants want to try somebody else. Also, cornerback Jayron Hosley was a punt returner at Virginia Tech.

The coverage teams were strong last year with the likes of DeOssie, Mark Herzlich and Spencer Paysinger all contributing.

The last time: The Giants have not drafted a kicker or punter since 2010, when they took punter Matt Dodge in the seventh round." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Veteran
    I'm curious who the kick returner will be, maybe it will be a rookie again this year. Brown is too slow for kickoffs and last year he got injured doing it. We can't risk that again.

I like the idea of Denard Robinson as a returner.. I'd bet he'll tear it up..

I think Da'Rel Scott will get an opportunity there.

Was averaging 24.5 yards per return in 2011 on his 14 returns. Thats respectable.

i wonder if they would take a Kicker in the 7th round if 1 of the Florida kickers is available.