+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gumby74 View Post
    I don't know about that. I wasn't able to find much but i did find this link...

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...ar_by_year.htm
    I have no idea what that stat means, but it does not mean the QB with the most sacks, or with the most sacks-per-pass attempts ratio.

It means the opposite, actually.

For example, in your pro football list link, it has Eli as the "sack leader" for 2012. It means that he had the best--meaning the fewest--sacks per pass attempts, considering he had the fewest sacks of any full time starting QB in 2012. Compare that to Aaron Rodgers in 2012, who had only 16 more pass attempts than Eli, but had 32 more sacks (Rodgers=51 sacks vs Eli=19 sacks).

In other words, Rogers led the league with 51 sacks which equates to 9.24%, while Eli had the lowest sack percentage of 3.42%, or 19 sacks.That's why this list you link to has Eli as the "sack leader" for 2012.

So.The list you link to indicates the QB with the best sack-per-pass attempts (ie, fewest sacks) each year leads to the conclusion that, contrary to your claim about Marino being "sacked more than anyone in the league I don't know how many times", he in fact had the fewest sacks per attempts than any QB in his first 7 seasons, and again 5 years later in 94.

Marino had a very good OL for much of his career, as Morehead claims. For most of his career he had a clean uniform at the end of every game.
    Last edited by gmen46; 04-24-2013 at 04:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Uggh!.....You guys never quit.
    You just can't have a football discussion, can you?
    You said you were "curious" and "intrigued". I thought by throwing your own words back at you I was engaging in a thoughtful football discussion.

Uggh!.....You guys never quit.You just can't have a football discussion, can you?
    When you post a comment that makes sense then you can have a discussion. To imply that all great QB's had bad receivers is just a statement of absurdity.

Quote Originally Posted by speedman View Post
    When you post a comment that makes sense then you can have a discussion. To imply that all great QB's had bad receivers is just a statement of absurdity.
    I'm trying to see where I said that or even implied it.
    Joe Montana had the greatest WR tandem in history. terry Bradshaw had Lynn Swann and John Stallworth. Tom Brady had Randy Moss.
    My point is that all those guys also thrived when they didn't have great WR's. Brady succeeded with Troy Brown and David Givens. Montana thrived with Dwight Clark and Freddt Soloman.

So great QB's are great, whether they have great WR's or not. The guys who are a notch lower. The guys who are very good QB's tend to need more talent around them.

I just don't understand how otherwise intelligent posters can twist words to mean whatever they want.
    Again.....You guys crack me up.

Yes...any statement that suggests that all great QB's had bad WR's would be an absurd statement.
    Last edited by Morehead State; 04-24-2013 at 07:16 AM.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

And of course he's the ONLY QB who can.......

Just like Right Wing news never misses an opportunity to make a snarky remark about Obama, you never miss an opportunity to make a snarky remark concerning Eli! You're like the Sean Hannity of the Giants message boards.
    We get it ...you're not an Eli fan, you don't need to remind us on a daily basis!

A lot of great QB's didn't have great WR's. Its not always as you suggest.The "Marks" were WAY overrated in Miami. And its true that Montana had good but not great WR's with him first 2 SB teams.And, as I said, Brady hasn't had much for most of his career.Peyton also demonstrated that he can produce, even with a couple second year guys.And my guy Phil had nothing but Bavaro.
    Eli produced with Nicks and Cruz as second year guys so what's your point?

Brady hasn't had much at all through his career.And neither Duper or Clayton were that good at all. Clayton went to GB and disappeared.And I think we saw what Peyton can do with any group of WR's this year with two, second year guys in Denver.
    Give us your honest opinion as to where you rank Eli against today's QB's.

Quote Originally Posted by gmen46 View Post
    I have no idea what that stat means, but it does not mean the QB with the most sacks, or with the most sacks-per-pass attempts ratio.

It means the opposite, actually.

For example, in your pro football list link, it has Eli as the "sack leader" for 2012. It means that he had the best--meaning the fewest--sacks per pass attempts, considering he had the fewest sacks of any full time starting QB in 2012. Compare that to Aaron Rodgers in 2012, who had only 16 more pass attempts than Eli, but had 32 more sacks (Rodgers=51 sacks vs Eli=19 sacks).

In other words, Rogers led the league with 51 sacks which equates to 9.24%, while Eli had the lowest sack percentage of 3.42%, or 19 sacks.That's why this list you link to has Eli as the "sack leader" for 2012.

So.The list you link to indicates the QB with the best sack-per-pass attempts (ie, fewest sacks) each year leads to the conclusion that, contrary to your claim about Marino being "sacked more than anyone in the league I don't know how many times", he in fact had the fewest sacks per attempts than any QB in his first 7 seasons, and again 5 years later in 94.

Marino had a very good OL for much of his career, as Morehead claims. For most of his career he had a clean uniform at the end of every game.
    I didn't actually read the link very thoroughly, but if that's what you read than so be it. You might be right because wasn't Eli one of the least sacked QBs last year? The article isn't very clear as to what it's trying to prove.

I just don't Marino having a great oline. They certainly weren't terrible. But they weren't great. Dwight Stephenson aside, there was no one else on that line. He didn't have all day like Brady and Aikman did/does.

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue58 View Post
    Just like Right Wing news never misses an opportunity to make a snarky remark about Obama, you never miss an opportunity to make a snarky remark concerning Eli! You're like the Sean Hannity of the Giants message boards.
    We get it ...you're not an Eli fan, you don't need to remind us on a daily basis!
    I'm a big Eli fan.
    He's the QB of my beloved team. And he's a very good player.

Quote Originally Posted by speedman View Post
    Give us your honest opinion as to where you rank Eli against today's QB's.
    5th.