+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 116

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Eli Manning going to pass Phil Simms

    In passing yards this year

    Simms-33462
    Eli-31527

    Eli already beat him in touchdowns with 211 to phils 199.

  2. #2
    Phil was a great Giant but I was reminded today as I watched the NFL Network that we passed on joe Montana when we selected Phil in the draft! Just goes to show you that you never really know how a draft will turn out.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by PennState1 View Post
    Phil was a great Giant but I was reminded today as I watched the NFL Network that we passed on joe Montana when we selected Phil in the draft! Just goes to show you that you never really know how a draft will turn out.
    Forgot about that! Hey MJ was not a Number one pick! The draft is, without doubt, a shot in the dark!
    Giants fan since '58

  4. #4

    Talking

    OK, this thread is going to go on to next season. I'll say this again, Eli is the best QB the GIants have ever had for the simple reason he has won 2 come from behind SB's with his arm. Not even Y.A Title can claim that. Simms won one SB with a great defense and missed the other one. Now Eli will have thrown for the most yards for the Giants in the history of the organization. Enough said!
    Last edited by bigjeep; 04-24-2013 at 08:05 AM.
    Giants fan since '58

  5. #5
    All-Pro Roosevelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    1925 Giants Drive
    Posts
    14,367
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjeep View Post
    OK, this thread is going to go on to next season. I'll say this again, Eli is the best QB the GIants have ever had for the simple reason he has won 2 come from behind SB's with his arm. Not even Y.A Title can claim that. Simms won one SB with a great defense and missed the other one. Now Eli will have thrown for the most yards for the Giants in the history of the organization. Enough said!
    It's not about a competition. And as big a Simms fan as I am, I'm very happy to see Eli breaking Phil's records because it means positive things for the Giants, and Eli is a very likeable guy as well.

    As for the defense, there is no denying how great the '86 Giants defense was. But in that Super Bowl it was Phil's performance that we all think about, not our defense. In Super Bowl's XLII & XLVI our defense surrendered less points than our XXI team did which was one of the keys to victory because our offense was incapable of scoring many points.

    As for which one is best? They traveled different paths, played in different eras, and have different qualities. In the end Eli will have all the records to go with his Super Bowl MVP's, so barring injury, it's a pretty obvious conclusion.
    RosieVision - Helping Giants fans see clearly since 2006

    http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905

  6. #6
    Eli is going to surpass Phil in each category of stats! he still has a good 3-4 years of effective ball left in his right arm!

    but Phil certainly put us on the map with that historic sb performance! for that I will be forever grateful. Simms was a little more consistent imo!

    Eli is more of a gun shooter than Phil. prolly because of the difference in receivers and overall offensive goal!

    Eli will end up greater than Simms in Giants history.

  7. #7
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,270
    I loved Phil, but I didn't think he was god. He was too fragile, and he used to drive me nuts at times.

  8. #8
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    1,514
    Phil Simms was the QB that won a SB for the Giants after 30 years without a winning team. At the time we fans thought he was Gods little brother. He was a very good QB, but not the greatest. To the fans at that time he was the greatest. Will Always be a hero in our hearts.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
    Phil Simms was the QB that won a SB for the Giants after 30 years without a winning team. At the time we fans thought he was Gods little brother. He was a very good QB, but not the greatest. To the fans at that time he was the greatest. Will Always be a hero in our hearts.
    Well said!

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,130
    Bill Walsh would've drafted Phill Simms over Joe Montana but San Francisco couldn't because they had traded the draft pick away. In my opinion, Phil Simms would've thrived in San Francisco with the talent they had over there.

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6...ontana-in-1979

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts