+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Eli Manning going to pass Phil Simms

Quote Originally Posted by bigjeep View Post
    OK, this thread is going to go on to next season. I'll say this again, Eli is the best QB the GIants have ever had for the simple reason he has won 2 come from behind SB's with his arm. Not even Y.A Title can claim that. Simms won one SB with a great defense and missed the other one. Now Eli will have thrown for the most yards for the Giants in the history of the organization. Enough said!
    It's not about a competition. And as big a Simms fan as I am, I'm very happy to see Eli breaking Phil's records because it means positive things for the Giants, and Eli is a very likeable guy as well.

As for the defense, there is no denying how great the '86 Giants defense was. But in that Super Bowl it was Phil's performance that we all think about, not our defense. In Super Bowl's XLII & XLVI our defense surrendered less points than our XXI team did which was one of the keys to victory because our offense was incapable of scoring many points.

As for which one is best? They traveled different paths, played in different eras, and have different qualities. In the end Eli will have all the records to go with his Super Bowl MVP's, so barring injury, it's a pretty obvious conclusion.
    http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905
    Get well, get back #80

Eli is going to surpass Phil in each category of stats! he still has a good 3-4 years of effective ball left in his right arm!

but Phil certainly put us on the map with that historic sb performance! for that I will be forever grateful. Simms was a little more consistent imo!

Eli is more of a gun shooter than Phil. prolly because of the difference in receivers and overall offensive goal!

Eli will end up greater than Simms in Giants history.

Phil was the first Super Bowl MVP that went to Disney World....Eli can never say that!!.....nuff said lol
    "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

Quote Originally Posted by Harooni View Post
    I wonder how simms would look in todays fluffy NFL. my guess like a HOF QB. he was athletic strong and deadly accurate. his near flawless SB performance was a thing of beauty.

Still Eli has proven he can sling it and is very durable ,we have to appreciate that he hangs in there and doesnt give up.
    if the NFL is so "fluffy" then why even bring up Eli's durability????
    If Phil was so "deadly accurate" why only a 55% completion??

I love Simms.....just wondering where you are coming from with those comments....
    Last edited by GameTime; 04-24-2013 at 01:41 PM.
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Phil was a great QB for the Giants at that time. A lesser man would have folded like a bad poker hand. No way Montana would have made it through the first few years. He just wasn't strong enough. Phil was battered during that era. Even in the mid - late 80's he took a pounding. When Phil retired, he was the most sacked QB of all time (has since been surpassed in that stat) and was tough as nails. In today's NFL, he would thrive.

Question for those who grew up with Simms or whoever- How weird seeing them leave and having to see another QB play? It's gonna be so weird for me when we draft another QB to replace Eli.
    Finalized divorce from Victor Michael Walker Cruz November 23rd, 2014. 9:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    if the NFL is so "fluffy" then why even bring up Eli's durability????
    If Phil was so "deadly accurate" why only a 55% completion??

I love Simms.....just wondering where you are coming from with those comments....
    Are you really trying to compare stats between QB's who play in different eras?
    I mean.......Really???
    The most accurate passer I ever saw was Ken Anderson. He was at 59% lifetime.
    Get well soon 80.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    Question for those who grew up with Simms or whoever- How weird seeing them leave and having to see another QB play? It's gonna be so weird for me when we draft another QB to replace Eli.
    I did miss Simms when he left but not as much as I will miss Eli!

when Simms played he won many games but the last quarter of his career he was in and out of the lineup because of injury etc.

I don't foresee that for Eli! Eli will always have max protection and that along with his toughness will make him the starter until he retires!

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Are you really trying to compare stats between QB's who play in different eras?
    I mean.......Really???
    The most accurate passer I ever saw was Ken Anderson. He was at 59% lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    Our next QB?
    TC: My ma urged me to get out of this game. When I was a kid, she pleaded with me. And I meant to, you know what I mean? But she died.

Reese: Tough

TC: Now look at me. I'm wet nurse to a last-place, dead-to-the-neck-up ball club, and I'm choking to death!

+ Reply to Thread