+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 184

Thread: Jerry Reach...

  1. #161
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    12,304
    Quote Originally Posted by Imgrate View Post
    I get what you're saying, but the evidence shows that jr didn't care about the board and was taking a RT. The chances of pugh being rated higher than the guys available are slim.
    Or that JR had a board that looked completely different than the board you had.

  2. #162
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    12,304
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post

    Don't forget that Joe Thomas is about 2-3 inches taller too making him a naturally bigger player on the edge.
    And his long term future here might be at one of the guard spots. He may not be a RT for his entire career here.

    But, doesn't that also make Thomas' arms proportionately shorter than Pugh's?

  3. #163
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    And his long term future here might be at one of the guard spots. He may not be a RT for his entire career here.

    But, doesn't that also make Thomas' arms proportionately shorter than Pugh's?
    That's what I've been saying the last few days actually but everyone assumes he is the long term future at RT for some reason.

    As for the Thomas - Pugh comparison, it's about the susceptibility to bull rushes that I worry about with Pugh. Even though Thomas has only slightly longer arms, the additional inches in height aid him in that it is harder to get into his shoulder pads and push him back. With Pugh, you have not only extremely shorter arms that make it harder to fight off the bull rush but his less than ideal height makes it that much easier to get into the shoulder pads as well. I'm sure that is the concern most people have him with versus speed rushers. I think he will be fine against those personally.
    3/25/14 - Updated Mock with 5th round comp pick

    1. Anthony Barr, Defensive End, UCLA
    2. Marcus Martin, Center Guard, USC
    3. Anthony Johnson, Defensive Nostril Tackle, LSU
    4. Marcel Jensen, Offensive End, Fresno State
    5. Wesley Johnson, Offensive Any Guard, Vanderbilt
    5. Aaron Colvin, Defensive Halfback, Oklahoma
    6. Storm Johnson, Guy Who Runs With Football, UCF

  4. #164
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    But you also have to look at the drop off between Pugh and the other OL and the drop off between the players at other positions. If Reese thought that the drop off between Pugh and the other OL was more precipitous than that between say Floyd and Hankins whom we picked in the second, then the pick doesn't become a reach, or at least not a huge reach.
    Floyd and Hankins don't even play the same position. What should have been taken into account is positionaly value. RT is maybe the the 5th or 6th most important position on offense whereas corner is the 2nd most important position on defense. Add in that it is much cheaper to sign a starting rt opposed to a starting cb and it becomes quite clear that the pugh pick was terrible on an intuitive basis.

  5. #165
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    12,304
    Quote Originally Posted by Imgrate View Post
    Floyd and Hankins don't even play the same position. What should have been taken into account is positionaly value. RT is maybe the the 5th or 6th most important position on offense whereas corner is the 2nd most important position on defense. Add in that it is much cheaper to sign a starting rt opposed to a starting cb and it becomes quite clear that the pugh pick was terrible on an intuitive basis.
    Are both Floyd and Hankins not DTs?

    Pugh is a utility OL that can arguably play every position along the line, does that not add some value?

  6. #166
    Veteran JJC7301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Are both Floyd and Hankins not DTs?

    Pugh is a utility OL that can arguably play every position along the line, does that not add some value?
    +1. Also, I understand the other argument for more value in the CB position and that's how JR normally sees things as well, but maybe they weren't that crazy about the talent (in their eyes) of the CB's left in the 1st RD.

    And feeling that they needed an injection of youth on the o-line, they decided to not just go for a very good guard, but one versatile enough to play at least every single position on the line adequately if need be.

    Pugh makes sense and I'm glad to have him on board.

  7. #167
    Veteran ryan12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    RUDYY IS THE MIKE!!!!!
    Posts
    4,241
    Quote Originally Posted by JJC7301 View Post
    +1. Also, I understand the other argument for more value in the CB position and that's how JR normally sees things as well, but maybe they weren't that crazy about the talent (in their eyes) of the CB's left in the 1st RD.

    And feeling that they needed an injection of youth on the o-line, they decided to not just go for a very good guard, but one versatile enough to play at least every single position on the line adequately if need be.

    Pugh makes sense and I'm glad to have him on board.
    your right Pugh makes a ton on sense im excited to see him go out there and compete with brewer and dd at rt
    FUTURE NFL STAR


  8. #168
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Are both Floyd and Hankins not DTs?

    Pugh is a utility OL that can arguably play every position along the line, does that not add some value?
    Floyd is a pass rushing 3tech. Hankins is a clogging 0/1 tech. It is akin to saying linval and cullen jenkins play the same position.

    So can brian winters barret jones etc. So could davidit diehl when he came out of college. Being able to play interior OL and rt isn't really a big deal.

  9. #169
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    12,304
    Quote Originally Posted by Imgrate View Post
    Floyd is a pass rushing 3tech. Hankins is a clogging 0/1 tech. It is akin to saying linval and cullen jenkins play the same position.

    So can brian winters barret jones etc. So could davidit diehl when he came out of college. Being able to play interior OL and rt isn't really a big deal.
    For pass rushing DT he sure had a lot of sacks last season...

  10. #170
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    For pass rushing DT he sure had a lot of sacks last season...
    Its what he projects to be in the nfl. How many sacks did clay matthews have in his days at usc? Floyd and hankins are completely different players.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts