+ Reply to Thread

Giants take on a College Program's Approach when Picking Players

I've been thinking about our draft picks since the Reese era and my conclusion is that we take on a very college-like approach in the way we draft and groom players. At the college level they're very few players that are recruited to start day 1. Many times a Redshirt tag will be placed on a 5 star guy to help them develop, whether it be strength, conditioning or any aspect of their game that needs work.

When I look at players drafted like Brewer, Austin, Beatty, Robinson, Tracy and so many others, it feels like their drafted with a 1, 2 or even 3 year "Redshirt" tag placed on them. The best college football programs use the redshirt option, and they use it often, the Giants may have found a way to translate that concept to the pro game with effectiveness in terms of future production.

Right now we have a ton of "developing" talent on our team that, if they pay off, can propel this team to a level that we havent experienced in a very long time, despite us winning 2 SB in recent years.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Rush4Blitz2; 04-27-2013 at 01:36 AM.

i like your glasses

Quote Originally Posted by Rush4Blitz2 View Post
    I've been thinking about our draft picks since the Reese era and my conclusion is that we take on a very college-like approach in the way we draft and groom players. At the college level they're very few players that are recruited to start day 1. Many times a Redshirt tag will be placed on a 5 star guy to help them develop, whether it be strength, conditioning or any aspect of their game that needs work.

When I look at players drafted like Brewer, Austin, Beatty, Robinson, Tracy and so many others, it feels like their drafted with a 1, 2 or even 3 year "Redshirt" tag placed on them. The best college football programs use the redshirt option, and they use it often, the Giants may have found a way to translate that concept to the pro game with effectiveness in terms of future production.

Right now we have a ton of "developing" talent on our team that, if they pay off, can propel this team to a level that we havent experienced in a very long time, despite us winning 2 SB in recent years.

Thoughts?
    Excellent post! For people expecting starters for game 1 in a draft they are delusional or fans of a horrible team. Rarely happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush4Blitz2 View Post

Thoughts?
    This is a great way to look at it, especially considering the player will ultimately wind up in Coach Coughlin's hands and we all know how he handles rookies. I think it's safe to say what you are saying as it's only a plus if they actually can contribute as they arrive.

I'd say with all of that in mind it's better to shoot and miss on a rookie in the draft where you aren't being penalized with proven veteran free agent cap space as well as pre-season roster spots that would be filled with bodies regardless. This is where the Giants win championships and if you look back at the drafts since Eli Manning you can see about 50% of the picks flourish in our system.
    Live and Die with the Giants

"I felt good today."
    -Eli Manning

Quote Originally Posted by manton View Post
    This is a great way to look at it, especially considering the player will ultimately wind up in Coach Coughlin's hands and we all know how he handles rookies. I think it's safe to say what you are saying as it's only a plus if they actually can contribute as they arrive.

I'd say with all of that in mind it's better to shoot and miss on a rookie in the draft where you aren't being penalized with proven veteran free agent cap space as well as pre-season roster spots that would be filled with bodies regardless. This is where the Giants win championships and if you look back at the drafts since Eli Manning you can see about 50% of the picks flourish in our system.
    and there's still a question mark for Robinson, Brewer, Jernigan, McCants and Tracy. If these guys can make an impact we're set for years.

Right, as in the past people thought TE or DT may be a need but JR has always been confident in his men waiting in the wings. Too many initials there, I think.

Reminds me of Safety this year. I think some of our additions last year wound up being surprisingly capable replacements.
    Live and Die with the Giants

"I felt good today."
    -Eli Manning

In a way, I suppose. But it's not much different than what other successful NFL teams do.

I view it more as us having a strong infrastructure, which is mainly accredited to having a veteran HoF HC, franchise QB, and a handful of battle-tested, SB winning veteran players.

Very enigmatic team though; for all of the success factors we have, we've still missed the playoffs 75% of the time the past four years.