+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Romo practicing today

Re: Romo practicing today

[quote user="casvdry"][quote user="Morehead State"][quote user="casvdry"][quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="GrouchyGus"]Romo is looking pretty good throwing the ball today only problem he seems to be having is with the center exchange. Hopefully that will get worked out before the game. Looks like everyone that could possibly get healthy enough to play is going to be ready.[/quote]

Oddly enough there's a news article out today indicating he's been limited but is expected to start. We GIANTS fans hope he does play, it assure a win for us.
    [/quote]

Not sure I agree with this. People seem to think Romo has a habit of blowing games when in all actuality, there are many other failings that are to blame.

I've often heard Romo has the best 4th QTR rating of all active QB's. So I thought about it some and wondered how Romo could have a bad rap in the clutch, then. Maybe he has costly interceptions in the 4th QTR? So I did some research and I was wrong..

Since 2006 no quarterback -- not Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers, has a better fourth-quarter passer rating than Romo (100.0). Only Brees (39) and Philip Rivers (39) have more fourth-quarter touchdown passes than Romo's 34. Only Brees (5,905), Manning (4,886) and Rivers (4,751) have more fourth-quarter yards than Romo's 4,712.</P>

has thrown 17 fourth-quarter interceptions, which is fewer than Brees (25), Brett Favre (25), Eli Manning (27), Jay Cutler (22) and Ben Roethlisberger (22) among others. Brady has just 11. Peyton Manning has 13.
    </P>

People like blaming Romo for the Cowboy's problems a little too much.
    </P>

[/quote]</P>

There is no one stat that accurately portrays a QB as "clutch" or even "a choker". 4th quarter TD's come in many situations, including when a team is ahead and is piling it on. Even 4th quarter picks are tough to read because they can also come when a team is way down and is taking greater risks.</P>

You have to go by what you see. The Cowboys have blown games with horrible interceptions by the QB this season, and also in previous years.</P>

Romo is a good front runner. When things are going well, when the offense is matching up well, he really can be productive. The test is when it comes down to those few moments when he has to put the team on his shoulders. It also comes when you are ahead or tied in a close game and know how to protect the ball. </P>

Looking at Romo's history, it seems that even from the Giants/Cowboys playoff game in Jan. 08, this is where he has fallen short.</P>

Romo isn't clutch. He's productive, but not clutch. Does he choke? Who knows.But he hasn't shown the ability to dig deep in adverse situations and come through.</P>

[/quote]

This is all true, but what QB doesn't make mistakes in the 4th quarter? Moreover, what mistakes in the 4th qtr are masked when the defense rises to the occasion to prevent the other team from getting points in those situations?
    [/quote]</P>

The pick against the Jets was a glairing rookie mistake. The performance against Detroit was complete ineptitude when his team needed him most.</P>

Obviously, Romo can begin the process of undoing a very well earned reputation as a QB who lacks "clutchness" with a great performance tomorrow. (we obviously hope not on the side of the good guys). But its taken him several years to develop this reputation. There comes a time to admit that this is simply what he is.</P>

Productive.....not clutch.</P>
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Its funny I went thru Dallas a/b a year ago,I hardly saw any local fans.No hats,car decals nothing.Seems as if their fanbase had shrunk a bunch.

[quote user="bronxvgiant"]Its funny I went thru Dallas a/b a year ago,I hardly saw any local fans.No hats,car decals nothing.Seems as if their fanbase had shrunk a bunch.[/quote]I have always found the cowboy fans in dallas to be very cool and classywhich cannot be said about their owner or national fan base.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Veteran

Heh, winning against the Giants wouldn't do anything for his reputation. Unfortunately, it's likely winning a SB wouldn't either. It would be chalked up to something else, his defense, for example. It would be anything other than him. No one remembers the games he wins, only the games he loses. If we are fortunate enough to win this game, he won't get any props for it, it's added to the pile of games that don't matter and then "We'll see when he gets in to the playoffs"

No one saw us beating the Eagles a 3rd straight time in the playoffs, yet we did it. That single game should have disproved this notion that he cannot win games that matter. The fact that he has won a single one should tell Romo haters all they need to know. He can do it.

We've seen this situation before, Romo has wins in games that have "mattered" as long as the way you define matter not only being a playoff game. For that, if you cannot see beyond Seattle, then you're not really watching the games.

QB's can only throw the ball, they can't catch the balls they throw (2007 playoffs) they can't block (2009 Vikings)

I'll give you Seattle only because he's the one who fumbled the hold, but it's funny to think a QB can get his team in that position in the first place and "choke" on a simple hold. I define choking as something a QB does because he can't handle pressure. I don't see the inability to hold a football down for a kick as something you mess up on because of pressure. He could have made that mistake at many other times in the game. It was a mistake, but I don't see it as a mistake as Romo the QB.

This isn't a one player sport. I don't care how great Eli played in the 2007 Superbowl, if your defense doesn't rise to the occasion in the first place, you don't win that game. You held the 2007 Patriots offense to how many points, again? I realize Eli played much better in the 07 post-season than he had been playing but if your defense doesn't show up it's likely all for naught.

Case in point:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201112...mp;tab=analyze

That isn't the -only- game Romo has played well in and the team has lost. There are 2 things Romo has not had in his career as a Dallas Cowboys QB. A good defense and a solid OL. At any point that the OL was doing "good" was more a product of Romo's scrambling ability more than anything else. The 09 defense got hot at the very end of the 09 season, outside of that the only positives Romo has had around him are other great individuals. Ware, Witten, etc. Good QB's rarely win by themselves, you need a total team effort.

Now, I fully realize Romo has lost some games on his own. He doesn't fumble the ball against the Jets or toss those crazy picks, we likely beat the Lions, too. That's not the point though, the point to me is that there isn't some magical fairy dust that gets spread across the field and makes him perform well in Quarters 1-3 and not in Quarter 4 (The statistics support this, too). Besides, if it's only the big games that he folds in, why do people constantly point out every game where he makes mistakes, if those games don't matter?

The truth is, every game matters. If we have an extra win, we're in the playoffs. Anyone who acts like every game doesn't matter is just trying to help it fit their argument.

Stats are that simply stats, wins and losses are what count.</P>

Romo is a good QB and for many reasons has not had a lot of bounces go his way in prime time.</P>

As fare as reports of him practicing, I would hope he could practice today if he plans on starting tomorrow evening.</P>

With him not practicing all week it cannot help his timing, we see that with Eli when Manningham and Nicks don't practice during the week.</P>

That hand looked pretty ugly, I'm not a doctor but with todays treatments I would imagine they could get rid ofthe swelling, but the bruises, they will have to have an effect with the grip on the ball. He doesn't really throw the ball down the field, I expect to see a short quick passing game like usual.</P>

GMEN are due to win the final at home, owe it to the fans after the last couple years and to themselves, you can get the feeling from listening and reading interviews, they are not going to take this game lying down, and as far as the terrible towel, ALL IN!</P>
    Forget the Past, Live for the Future!

[quote user="casvdry"][quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="GrouchyGus"]Romo is looking pretty good throwing the ball today only problem he seems to be having is with the center exchange. Hopefully that will get worked out before the game. Looks like everyone that could possibly get healthy enough to play is going to be ready.[/quote]

Oddly enough there's a news article out today indicating he's been limited but is expected to start. We GIANTS fans hope he does play, it assure a win for us.
    [/quote]

Not sure I agree with this. People seem to think Romo has a habit of blowing games when in all actuality, there are many other failings that are to blame.

I've often heard Romo has the best 4th QTR rating of all active QB's. So I thought about it some and wondered how Romo could have a bad rap in the clutch, then. Maybe he has costly interceptions in the 4th QTR? So I did some research and I was wrong..

Since 2006 no quarterback -- not Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew
    Brees or Aaron Rodgers, has a better fourth-quarter passer rating than
    Romo (100.0). Only Brees (39) and Philip Rivers (39) have more
    fourth-quarter touchdown passes than Romo's 34. Only Brees (5,905),
    Manning (4,886) and Rivers (4,751) have more fourth-quarter yards than
    Romo's 4,712.
    </p>

has thrown 17 fourth-quarter interceptions, which is fewer than
    Brees (25), Brett Favre (25), Eli Manning (27), Jay Cutler (22) and Ben
    Roethlisberger (22) among others. Brady has just 11. Peyton Manning has
    </p>

</p>[/quote]

You have to allow for fan bravado, no?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Veteran

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="casvdry"][quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="GrouchyGus"]Romo is looking pretty good throwing the ball today only problem he seems to be having is with the center exchange. Hopefully that will get worked out before the game. Looks like everyone that could possibly get healthy enough to play is going to be ready.[/quote]

[/quote]

Since 2006 no quarterback -- not Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew
    Brees or Aaron Rodgers, has a better fourth-quarter passer rating than
    Romo (100.0). Only Brees (39) and Philip Rivers (39) have more
    fourth-quarter touchdown passes than Romo's 34. Only Brees (5,905),
    Manning (4,886) and Rivers (4,751) have more fourth-quarter yards than
    Romo's 4,712.
    </p>

has thrown 17 fourth-quarter interceptions, which is fewer than
    Brees (25), Brett Favre (25), Eli Manning (27), Jay Cutler (22) and Ben
    Roethlisberger (22) among others. Brady has just 11. Peyton Manning has
    </p>

</p>[/quote]

You have to allow for fan bravado, no?
    [/quote]
    Of course, especially in the smack talk section. I guess I just get tired of the Romo bashing.

I'll be the last one to contest viewpoints that assert this Cowboy team is plagued with a lot of letdowns and comes up with the craziest, hilarious ways to lose. It's almost part of their DNA now. I simply recognize it as a deficiency of the organization and not one individual player.

[quote user="Big_D"]Guess, we'll have to wait until Sunday to find out if he can grip the ball or not. I think some of you Gmen are hoping he can't. Don't be surprised when he lights you up on Sunday.[/quote]

With Tony's history of playoff anti-heroics all we can do is wonder how he will blow it this year.

8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

Too much emphasis is placed on the QB position. Defense is still key in winning in the playoffs or games that 'matter'.

It's no coincidence that Eli Manning has gotten exponentially better since the superbowl win, yet the Giants have consistently gotten worse with the inability to replace the production of key components to the superbowl winning defense.

And as Casvdry stated, Romo's never had a solid o'line or solid defense.
    Great talent on the defensive side of the ball. But it has yet to come
    together for the Cowboys.

I've stated that I'm done defending Romo, and to some extent, I am. I think there are better options out there for the Cowboys (maybe not at the moment) and a lot of aspects of his gameplay leave a lot to be desired.

But As critical of Romo as I've been this year I can't deny that with better team effort Romo plays much better as well. He's no different that any other QB in that regard.

He may not be the most 'clutch' QB, but I think his 'chokes' are greatly exaggerated because of two things.

1.) He's the cowboys QB.
    2.) the fumbled snap to set the tone for the rest of his career.

There's only one game in Romo's entire career where I've felt that he lost the game despite winning effort from the entire team around him, and that was this year's opener against the Jets.

[quote user="Ntegrase96"]Too much emphasis is placed on the QB position. Defense is still key in winning in the playoffs or games that 'matter'.

It's no coincidence that Eli Manning has gotten exponentially better since the superbowl win, yet the Giants have consistently gotten worse with the inability to replace the production of key components to the superbowl winning defense.

And as Casvdry stated, Romo's never had a solid o'line or solid defense.
    Great talent on the defensive side of the ball. But it has yet to come
    together for the Cowboys.

I've stated that I'm done defending Romo, and to some extent, I am. I think there are better options out there for the Cowboys (maybe not at the moment) and a lot of aspects of his gameplay leave a lot to be desired.

But As critical of Romo as I've been this year I can't deny that with better team effort Romo plays much better as well. He's no different that any other QB in that regard.

He may not be the most 'clutch' QB, but I think his 'chokes' are greatly exaggerated because of two things.

1.) He's the cowboys QB.
    2.) the fumbled snap to set the tone for the rest of his career.

There's only one game in Romo's entire career where I've felt that he lost the game despite winning effort from the entire team around him, and that was this year's opener against the Jets.
    [/quote]I will be the first to admit that i have somewhat more limited knowledge than most here when it comes to Romo. I think he seems to press too much at times when he doesnt have to. I saw one game a few weeks back where you guys had a sizeable lead late in the game and he was making these horrible throws. I think one got picked for a TD deep in your end.....There is no denying his regular season numbers are up there with the best of them. Playoff numbers and wins are what seperate him from the rest.

+ Reply to Thread