+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Romo practicing today

[quote user="Ntegrase96"]Too much emphasis is placed on the QB position. Defense is still key in winning in the playoffs or games that 'matter'.

It's no coincidence that Eli Manning has gotten exponentially better since the superbowl win, yet the Giants have consistently gotten worse with the inability to replace the production of key components to the superbowl winning defense.

And as Casvdry stated, Romo's never had a solid o'line or solid defense.
    Great talent on the defensive side of the ball. But it has yet to come
    together for the Cowboys.

I've stated that I'm done defending Romo, and to some extent, I am. I think there are better options out there for the Cowboys (maybe not at the moment) and a lot of aspects of his gameplay leave a lot to be desired.

But As critical of Romo as I've been this year I can't deny that with better team effort Romo plays much better as well. He's no different that any other QB in that regard.

He may not be the most 'clutch' QB, but I think his 'chokes' are greatly exaggerated because of two things.

1.) He's the cowboys QB.
    2.) the fumbled snap to set the tone for the rest of his career.

There's only one game in Romo's entire career where I've felt that he lost the game despite winning effort from the entire team around him, and that was this year's opener against the Jets.
    [/quote]I will be the first to admit that i have somewhat more limited knowledge than most here when it comes to Romo. I think he seems to press too much at times when he doesnt have to. I saw one game a few weeks back where you guys had a sizeable lead late in the game and he was making these horrible throws. I think one got picked for a TD deep in your end.....There is no denying his regular season numbers are up there with the best of them. Playoff numbers and wins are what seperate him from the rest.

[quote user="patsrule666"][quote user="Ntegrase96"]Too much emphasis is placed on the QB position. Defense is still key in winning in the playoffs or games that 'matter'.

It's no coincidence that Eli Manning has gotten exponentially better since the superbowl win, yet the Giants have consistently gotten worse with the inability to replace the production of key components to the superbowl winning defense.

I've stated that I'm done defending Romo, and to some extent, I am. I think there are better options out there for the Cowboys (maybe not at the moment) and a lot of aspects of his gameplay leave a lot to be desired.

But As critical of Romo as I've been this year I can't deny that with better team effort Romo plays much better as well. He's no different that any other QB in that regard.

He may not be the most 'clutch' QB, but I think his 'chokes' are greatly exaggerated because of two things.

1.) He's the cowboys QB.

There's only one game in Romo's entire career where I've felt that he lost the game despite winning effort from the entire team around him, and that was this year's opener against the Jets.
    [/quote]I will be the first to admit that i have somewhat more limited knowledge than most here when it comes to Romo. I think he seems to press too much at times when he doesnt have to. I saw one game a few weeks back where you guys had a sizeable lead late in the game and he was making these horrible throws. I think one got picked for a TD deep in your end.....There is no denying his regular season numbers are up there with the best of them. Playoff numbers and wins are what seperate him from the rest.[/quote]

Must have been against Detroit week 4. Since then I believe he's only thrown 4 ints to 22 tds. But I hear what your saying. Honestly he hasn't made that many mistakes this year, not even in the Jets game that I described.

Come to think of it, it might have been thanksgiving day against the Dolphins. He threw two early ints that game, but he was obviously having an off day early on.

The typical assumption is that Romo makes daredevil/loose cannon plays and sometimes pays for it (I've heard Mangini talking about this a lot on ESPN 1st take).

But that's something I really haven't seen from Romo since 2008. Yeah, sometimes he has his bad games, but he won't make the crazy left handed lob/behind the back type play any more unless it's absolutely clear.

The biggest problem with Romo this year since that Detroit game is that he's had to be absolutely perfect to win some of the games that the Cowboys ultimately ended up losing.

The reason? The Cowboys are a mediocre team. If Romo's not perfect in some games, the cowboys will lose. Then he'll get blamed for it because he missed one pass.

Case in point, the first Giants game. One play that could've sealed the win for the Cowboys, Romo didn't connect with Austin, and the loss was all his fault. Nevermind Miles Austin admitted to losing the ball in the lights the day after. Nevermind that the defense gave up 12 points in the final 7 minutes of the game to lose the lead-- nevermind that Romo got the Cowboys back into scoring position in under a minute with no timeouts left to tie it up for overtime before special teams failed. It was Romo's fault we lost the game. I think I heard on ESPN that it was the first time a QB posted a rating of over 140 and lost a game in 71 games played, but I could be quoting that stat wrong.

Really, outside of 2007, that's been the story of his career. If he's not perfect, he's not worth a crap.

[quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="patsrule666"][quote user="Ntegrase96"]Too much emphasis is placed on the QB position. Defense is still key in winning in the playoffs or games that 'matter'.

1.) He's the cowboys QB.

[/quote]I will be the first to admit that i have somewhat more limited knowledge than most here when it comes to Romo. I think he seems to press too much at times when he doesnt have to. I saw one game a few weeks back where you guys had a sizeable lead late in the game and he was making these horrible throws. I think one got picked for a TD deep in your end.....There is no denying his regular season numbers are up there with the best of them. Playoff numbers and wins are what seperate him from the rest.[/quote]

Must have been against Detroit week 4. Since then I believe he's only thrown 4 ints to 22 tds. But I hear what your saying. Honestly he hasn't made that many mistakes this year, not even in the Jets game that I described.

Come to think of it, it might have been thanksgiving day against the Dolphins. He threw two early ints that game, but he was obviously having an off day early on.

The typical assumption is that Romo makes daredevil/loose cannon plays and sometimes pays for it (I've heard Mangini talking about this a lot on ESPN 1st take).

But that's something I really haven't seen from Romo since 2008. Yeah, sometimes he has his bad games, but he won't make the crazy left handed lob/behind the back type play any more unless it's absolutely clear.

The biggest problem with Romo this year since that Detroit game is that he's had to be absolutely perfect to win some of the games that the Cowboys ultimately ended up losing.

The reason? The Cowboys are a mediocre team. If Romo's not perfect in some games, the cowboys will lose. Then he'll get blamed for it because he missed one pass.

Case in point, the first Giants game. One play that could've sealed the win for the Cowboys, Romo didn't connect with Austin, and the loss was all his fault.* Nevermind Miles Austin admitted to losing the ball in the lights the day after. Nevermind that the defense gave up 12 points in the final 7 minutes of the game to lose the lead-- nevermind that Romo got the Cowboys back into scoring position in under a minute with no timeouts left to tie it up for overtime before special teams failed. It was Romo's fault we lost the game. I think I heard on ESPN that it was the first time a QB posted a rating of over 140 and lost a game in 71 games played, but I could be quoting that stat wrong.

Really, outside of 2007, that's been the story of his career. If he's not perfect, he's not worth a crap.
    [/quote]

I'm compelled to understand your conclusion, and to agree with it. In part because I see Romo somewhat the same way. But largely because what you describe about Romo's undeserved criticism and fans' unquenchable need to blame the QB for most losses, applies equally to Eli and many Giants' fans over the course of his career.

[quote user="gmen46"][quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="patsrule666"][quote user="Ntegrase96"]Too much emphasis is placed on the QB position. Defense is still key in winning in the playoffs or games that 'matter'.

And as Casvdry stated, Romo's never had a solid o'line or solid defense. Great talent on the defensive side of the ball. But it has yet to come together for the Cowboys.

1.) He's the cowboys QB.

Case in point, the first Giants game. One play that could've sealed the win for the Cowboys, Romo didn't connect with Austin, and the loss was all his fault. Nevermind Miles Austin admitted to losing the ball in the lights the day after. Nevermind that the defense gave up 12 points in the final 7 minutes of the game to lose the lead-- nevermind that Romo got the Cowboys back into scoring position in under a minute with no timeouts left to tie it up for overtime before special teams failed. It was Romo's fault we lost the game. I think I heard on ESPN that it was the first time a QB posted a rating of over 140 and lost a game in 71 games played, but I could be quoting that stat wrong.

[/quote] I'm compelled to understand your conclusion, and to agree with it. In part because I see Romo somewhat the same way. But largely because what you describe about Romo's undeserved criticism and fans' unquenchable need to blame the QB for most losses, applies equally to Eli and many Giants' fans over the course of his career.[/quote]He does take more blame thanhe deservesfrom Giants fans but fans don't have to back everything up precisely. We are allowed to take too much joy in our oponents' failures and overstate certain players failings. While I respect Romo and think he is one of the better QB's in the NFL, I am happy to have him playing for the Cowboys. I think we could do worse with a replacement for him. His strength is making something from nothing but I see him as ordinary (just good) when forced to be a pocket passer throwing on rhythm. I think part of that is his height. He seems to have trouble seeing over the pass rush in "settled" situation. His arm strength is nothing special. I also think he has small hands or something else mechanical which result in alot of balls coming out funny even spinning like a chopper blade sometimes. More evidence of the small handsis that blown catch on the snap. Lastly, he gets injured an awful lot and it does grate on me when the media plays that up at how couragious he is. Even this week. "Ooooooh Tony's got a bruised hand but he's such a warrior, expect him to be out there leading his team." Pleeeeeeeeeease! So, he's a very good QB but not so good that I'd rather see him playing for Kansas City and not so good that I can't delight in his every misstep. Could he beat us tomorrow? Of course but that wouldn't change how I feel.
    No one remembers who came in second.

[quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="patsrule666"][quote user="Ntegrase96"]Too much emphasis is placed on the QB position. Defense is still key in winning in the playoffs or games that 'matter'.

1.) He's the cowboys QB.

Case in point, the first Giants game. One play that could've sealed the win for the Cowboys, Romo didn't connect with Austin, and the loss was all his fault.* Nevermind Miles Austin admitted to losing the ball in the lights the day after. Nevermind that the defense gave up 12 points in the final 7 minutes of the game to lose the lead-- nevermind that Romo got the Cowboys back into scoring position in under a minute with no timeouts left to tie it up for overtime before special teams failed. It was Romo's fault we lost the game. I think I heard on ESPN that it was the first time a QB posted a rating of over 140 and lost a game in 71 games played, but I could be quoting that stat wrong.

[/quote]Well, the QB getting all the credit or blame just comes with the job. That will never change, but i do see your point..He is under a huge microscope playing for the Cowboys..I would blame 2 of your losses this year to poor coaching. Take our game for example. You guys were killing us in the passing game, and then for some strange reason, you guys decided to run on three straight plays late in the game. A couple first downs and you guys could have easily beaten us..

[quote user="jomo"][quote user="gmen46"][quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="patsrule666"][quote user="Ntegrase96"]Too much emphasis is placed on the QB position. Defense is still key in winning in the playoffs or games that 'matter'.

And as Casvdry stated, Romo's never had a solid o'line or solid defense. Great talent on the defensive side of the ball. But it has yet to come together for the Cowboys.

1.) He's the cowboys QB.

[/quote] I'm compelled to understand your conclusion, and to agree with it. In part because I see Romo somewhat the same way. But largely because what you describe about Romo's undeserved criticism and fans' unquenchable need to blame the QB for most losses, applies equally to Eli and many Giants' fans over the course of his career.[/quote]He does take more blame than*he deserves*from Giants fans but fans don't have to back everything up precisely. We are allowed to take too much joy in our oponents' failures and overstate certain players failings. While I respect Romo and think he is one of the better QB's in the NFL, I am happy to have him playing for the Cowboys. I think we could do worse with a replacement for him. His strength is making something from nothing but I see him as ordinary (just good) when forced to be a pocket passer throwing on rhythm. I think part of that is his height. He seems to have trouble seeing over the pass rush in "settled" situation. His arm strength is nothing special. I also think he has small hands or something else mechanical which result in alot of balls coming out funny even spinning like a chopper blade sometimes. More evidence of the small hands*is that blown catch on the snap. Lastly, he gets injured an awful lot and it does grate on me when the media plays that up at how couragious he is. Even this week. "Ooooooh Tony's got a bruised hand but he's such a warrior, expect him to be out there leading his team." Pleeeeeeeeeease! So, he's a very good QB but not so good that I'd rather see him playing for Kansas City and not so good that I can't delight in his every misstep. Could he beat us tomorrow? Of course but that wouldn't change how I feel.[/quote]

You'll get no argument from me re your remarks concerning Romo.

And, most assuredly, I agree with your annoyance with all the "courageous Romo" slavering earlier this year.

I was responding more to how eerily familiar ntegrase96's comments regarding Romo were to how I have felt upon reading and hearing unrealistic and often undeserving comments about Eli from certain Giants fans over the past 8 years.

His concluding "if he's not perfect, he's crap" lament, in particular, rang so true to me when it comes to the habitual Eli critics.

Of course this year we're not hearing so much from that crowd, and there have even been a few of those we have heard from this year that have admitted--finally--that Eli may not be so terrible after all.

Bench Player

Well, so much for Romo lighting you guys up. This was a culmination to a heartbreaking season. Don't really have much to say.

[quote user="Big_D"]Well, so much for Romo lighting you guys up. This was a culmination to a heartbreaking season. Don't really have much to say.[/quote]Your boy played well. He did more than his part under enormous pressure from our defense. Only his athleticism kept him from perhaps 10 sacks.
    No one remembers who came in second.