+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 71

Thread: Steelers, Bears, and formerly, the Giants

  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by giantyankee1976 View Post
    harsh crowd...I always thought the Tradition was tough, blue-collar/working-man's team, no frills...
    I dont see that at all when watching the Giants. They are pretty much frills now built on big plays on both sides of the ball. Take aways and sacks and chunk plays in the passing and running game

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,547
    LBs simply aren't that important in a 4-3 defense in the year 2013. Just have a guy that can shed blocks and is a sound tackler.

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    I do find it funny that the Bears lose Urlacher and they draft 2 LBs in the first 3 rounds. The Ravens lose a LB and draft one right away. Same with the Steelers. Out goes Harrison and in comes Jarvis Jones (who will be the steal of the draft).

    We lose Osi and we draft Demontre Moore, pretty much a wash there. But NO LBs? Looks like Herz is the MLB... :-(
    Some of u get caught up in the name of the position. I see no difference in losing James Harrision and replacing him with Jarvis Jones then losing Osi and replacing him with Damontre Moore. Had the Giants drafted Jones to play end and the Steelers drafted Moore to play LB then what would u be saying right now. Would u still be complaining with the players reversed. Moore played in a 3-4 Defense in college why isnt he being viewed as a LB. If both guys are lining up in the same exact spot what does it matter what they are called

  4. #64
    All-Pro joemorrisforprez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    11,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    I dont see that at all when watching the Giants. They are pretty much frills now built on big plays on both sides of the ball. Take aways and sacks and chunk plays in the passing and running game
    That's what I see now....a defense that lives and dies by the sack and turnover.

    But against a disciplined offense (examples: Falcons, and Ravens), the defense is like a turtle flipped over on it's shell.

    Very soft......31st ranked soft, in fact.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

    - Emlen Tunnell

  5. #65
    All-Pro ny06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    13,811
    I think people aren't reading in between the lines with the op's thread. This team has below average linebackers, but thankfully we have won 2 Super Bowls and plenty of games with the patch work group. But it comes to a point where you want to see better play from that position.
    We all watched every game last season no? Can anyone say with a straight face that our linebackers were any good? I'm being generous with the word "good" how many times can you recall a linebacker tackling a running back behind the line of scrimmage? How many times did we see arm tackles and backs running by our linebackers? Other then J-Will I don't want to see our linebackers covering ANY tightend in this league.
    Point is the Giants emphasize getting after the QB, and that has proven to be successful in this league. But it wouldn't hurt to be able to see some solid linebacker play for once.
    Last edited by ny06; 04-28-2013 at 12:19 PM.

    Giants fan since the early 80s

  6. #66
    All-Pro joemorrisforprez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    11,208
    Quote Originally Posted by ny06 View Post
    I think people aren't reading in between the lines with the op's thread. This team has below average linebackers, but thankfully we have won 2 Super Bowls and plenty of games with the patch work group. But it comes to a point where you want to see better play from that position.
    We all watched every game last season no? Can anyone say with a straight face that our linebackers were any good? I'm being generous with the word "good" how many times can you recall a linebacker tackling a running back behind the line if scrimmage? How many times did we see arm tackles and backs running by our linebackers? Other then J-Will I don't want to see any of our linebackers covering ANY tightend in this league.
    Point is the Giants emphasize getting after the QB, and that has proven to be successful in this league. But it wouldn't hurt to be able to see some solid linebacker play for once.
    Thank you. I feel like someone just passed me a canteen of water.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

    - Emlen Tunnell

  7. #67
    All-Pro giantyankee1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    OUT of MARKET
    Posts
    15,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    I dont see that at all when watching the Giants. They are pretty much frills now built on big plays on both sides of the ball. Take aways and sacks and chunk plays in the passing and running game
    bah humbug I say...


    Quote Originally Posted by ny06 View Post
    I think people aren't reading in between the lines with the op's thread. This team has below average linebackers, but thankfully we have won 2 Super Bowls and plenty of games with the patch work group. But it comes to a point where you want to see better play from that position.
    We all watched every game last season no? Can anyone say with a straight face that our linebackers were any good? I'm being generous with the word "good" how many times can you recall a linebacker tackling a running back behind the line of scrimmage? How many times did we see arm tackles and backs running by our linebackers? Other then J-Will I don't want to see our linebackers covering ANY tightend in this league.
    Point is the Giants emphasize getting after the QB, and that has proven to be successful in this league. But it wouldn't hurt to be able to see some solid linebacker play for once.
    most excellent points sir, but I digress.

    Generating a reliable and effective Run Stop scheme and a "return" to no-frills Pass Rush would really help out this D a lot.

    (really miss the old sarcastic emoticons)


    NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    Some of u get caught up in the name of the position. I see no difference in losing James Harrision and replacing him with Jarvis Jones then losing Osi and replacing him with Damontre Moore. Had the Giants drafted Jones to play end and the Steelers drafted Moore to play LB then what would u be saying right now. Would u still be complaining with the players reversed. Moore played in a 3-4 Defense in college why isnt he being viewed as a LB. If both guys are lining up in the same exact spot what does it matter what they are called
    +1000. Everybody should read this.

  9. #69
    All-Pro giantyankee1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    OUT of MARKET
    Posts
    15,148
    Red Eye is one of the MOST respected on here...we did, trust me.


    NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

  10. #70
    All-Pro Delicreep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    5,353
    Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    Just making a point, based on the definition of "tradition".We can still say that the Giants have a history of great linebackers , but not a tradition according to the proper usage of the word.


    And it is a fading history.....you would have to go back to Jessie Armstead....that was probably when the tradition ended, unless I am forgetting someone.

    Antonio pierce deserves honorable mention
    OK...I want to make a sarcastic comment, possibly about your needing to switch to decaf, but you really do have a point.

    The question may be what it means. We won 42 based on different part of the D being lights out, and you really have to put 46 in the same category.
    Smart team makes the most of what they have, don't not try to make what they have fit what they want to be. Or fit a tradition.
    This space for rent

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts