+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Just some random analysis, not sure it means anything

But just made a list of where the giants drafted all their players the last 4 seasons, then compared it to where nfldraftscout (cbs sports) had those players ranked.

Im going to just toss out the 6th and 7th rounds because some of those guys are rated vastly different (someone has a guy worth a 7th pick vs a UDFA, could be 200+ picks difference)

So here goes
    player name / position drafted / ranking at nfldraftscout = the difference between the two

Pugh - 19 - 45 = -26
    Hankins 49 - 50 = -1
    Moore 81 - 52 = 29
    Nassib 110 - 41 = 69
    Taylor 152 - 275 = -123
    Total = -52

Wilson 32 - 47 = -15
    randle - 63 - 34 = 29
    hosley - 94 - 77 = 17
    robinson 127 - 211 = -84
    mosley 131 - 109 = 22
    Total = -31

Prince 19 - 6 = 13
    Austin 52 - 39 = 13
    Jernigan 83 - 61 = 22
    Brewer 117 - 92 = 25
    Jones 185 - 142 = 43
    Total = 116

JPP 15 - 24 = -9
    Linval 46 - 55 = -9
    Dillard 115 - 155 = -40
    Petrus 147 - 108 = 39
    Total = -19

So compared to pre-draft rankings, the 2011 draft was by far the best draft the giants have had the past 4 years, its the only one with positive value (steals instead of reaches).

Might be why the people here you really follow this stuff are more disappointed in this draft, as this one has comparatively the lowest value. Though if you remove Taylor, its actually the best draft they have had.

Of course none of this actually means anything, the 2011 draft for instance, Austin, Jernigan, Brewer, and Jones have done nothing thus far. (Jones isnt even on the team)

But its interesting to see. I can do another few drafts if anyone has any interest in this
    Last edited by slipknottin; 04-27-2013 at 11:10 PM.

It's really the -26 in the first round (worst of all of these drafts) that makes this draft seem bad. Additionally, the Nassib (who most didn't want) inflation that make this draft seem less harsher than people want to believe.

I wonder if we would've actually went BPA all the way through how it would've ended up...
    Something like...

Sheriff Floyd/Xavier Rhodes
    Jamar Taylor/Arthur brown
    Damontre Moore
    Kasheem Greene/Jonathan franklin
    Micah Hyde/josh Boyd
    Baccari Rambo
    Everette Dawkins/Marques Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by myles2424 View Post
    I wonder if we would've actually went BPA all the way through how it would've ended up...Something like...Sheriff Floyd/Xavier RhodesJamar Taylor/Arthur brownDamontre MooreKasheem Greene/Jonathan franklinMicah Hyde/josh BoydBaccari Rambo Everette Dawkins/Marques Wilson
    Don't do it.. Your gonna upset people (me)

Quote Originally Posted by gmen0820 View Post
    It's really the -26 in the first round (worst of all of these drafts) that makes this draft seem bad. Additionally, the Nassib (who most didn't want) inflation that make this draft seem less harsher than people want to believe.
    Toss out Nassib and Taylor and its only what, -4? That would still qualify as the second best draft by value in the last four years

Quote Originally Posted by Carter.525 View Post
    Don't do it.. Your gonna upset people (me)
    Sorry to rub it in, but I'm still not over it

Taylor really affects the difference but I don't think he was rated highly because of the medical condition (which was cleared by the Giants). I can't imagine him being seen as a 5th round reach had he not had the heart issue. Really do wonder where he would have been drafted had none of that happened...

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Toss out Nassib and Taylor and its only what, -4? That would still qualify as the second best draft by value in the last four years
    It's still the worst valued first rounder we've had that really set the tone for a lot of people.

And if we toss out two players, that's only offering a really small sample size with three Giant draftees.

Quote Originally Posted by gmen0820 View Post
    It's still the worst valued first rounder we've had that really set the tone for a lot of people.

And if we toss out two players, that's only offering a really small sample size with three Giant draftees.
    That's an idea actually. Factor in the trade value chart too. Perhaps multiply every pick by the trade chart value. Would minimize later round picks while making early picks more important. Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    That's an idea actually. Factor in the trade value chart too. Perhaps multiply every pick by the trade chart value. Would minimize later round picks while making early picks more important. Hmm
    That'd offer a tighter conclusion.

Interesting that under these rankings, Nassib was not only our most valuable pick, but the highest rated prospect we took.