+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Not including ours, what teams drafted the best in ur opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    Ya, i felt Eric Reids upside is the best of the bunch as far as the S's go, and the 9ers could afford to take a gamble on his upside, and if there right, boom... I remember earlier on in the yr, i thought Eric Reid was the best S in the country and a sure fire first rd pick, and Slip agreed, so its not that surprising to me, and if they only had a few picks, it'd of bothered me more, but they had such a heap of picks, that i understand trading up for em, because they believed in em so much...

Well again, it isn't that I don't like Reid, and I completely understand the situation they 49ers were in( not enough roster spots or cap room to sign the amount of picks they had), and I think from the 2nd round on they had the best draft in the league. But, they did after all come into the draft with 13 picks and very few open roster spots, which is 1 reason they picked lattimore, so they could IR him next year and not lose a spot and potentially get a good player for the future. Possibly Carradine too.

But, I still don't like that 1st round move. Eric Reid is a good player but they traded too far up and they did it simply because they put themselves in a position of having too many picks for their current roster to allow.

The mistake I felt they made was 1 that good teams often do, and that is in the thinking that because things are good now, they always will be. They should have traded some of their current picks for future picks in 2014 or even 2015.

In the near future, some of their biggest name players are coming to contract and the picks they traded away this year because they had to, would have been useful in the coming years when their young stars are virtually unresignable because of cap constraints. Having a good roster is a death warrant for the future. When Colin Kaepernick comes to contract in 2015(same year as Aldon Smith), for example, they will have to cut half their roster to resign him. Aldon Smithwill be a consideration for the highest paid defensive player in the league, barring injury or some other blight. Pat Willis is locked up for some years, but they have a lot of guaranteed money tied up in his restructuring, same for Bowman.

They are going to have to draft extremely well in the next 5 or 6 years in order fill in around the players I list above. That is why I think the picks they used to trade up to grabe Ried this year would have been more wisely traded for future picks.

I absolutely love all the players they selected, but they simply do not have the roster space for them right now(11 picks), and in the future when those big name vets come to contract, they likely will have more space and needs and could have used those picks.

Its is going to be interesting to me to see who gets cut from this team when they trim the roster down because it is either going to be some decent players or some of the lovely draft picks they selected above.
    Last edited by BlueSanta; 04-29-2013 at 03:57 PM.

Ya, i agree that when a team is this loaded wit guys , especially when alot of those guys are all coming outta the same drafts and close to the same drafts, like Colin and Aldon, then ur gonna fall victim to almost drafting to well, and u have to pay big bucks to keep em, which means, u gotta let go of guys and let them walk of course.. If Eric Reid ends up being the enforcer they envisioned, its well worth it, but if not, then i agree, they'd of been better off trading for future picks, instead of just trading up in this draft.. They got some things riding on Reids shoulders, thats for sure...

Not being able to choose are draft if u were, what teams do u think did the best?

I had the Packers on my list last yr, and i got them on my list again this yr...
    PACKERSThe packers had RB issues and were able to add not only Eddie Lacy, but also Jonathan Franklin as well.. Thats a great combanation of power and speed...

They also added Datone Jones at 26 which was solid value, and will help against the read option, and bolster there dline.

They got a versatile defender in Micah Hyde late in the 5th as well as another big body for the Dline in Josh Boyd after that, both great later rd picks and even and still managed to get not one but 2 nice Oline pieces in David Bakihatri and J.C Tretter.. Ted Thompson really knows what hes doing...

----------------------------------------

49ERSThe 49ers continue to impress me with there work , and that teams roster is so talented now, its kinda scary.. Albeit, i thought a tad of a reach for Eric Reid, it was a need after losing Dashon Goldson to FA'cy, and they found tremendous value with Tank Carradine, Marcus Lattimore, and WR Quinton Patton.. I loved Vance McDonald as a prospect, and hes a perfect fit to take over for recently departed Delanie Walker...

----------------------------------------------------------

RAVENS

Again, Ozzie Newsome does wonders, even when his team wins the SB.. The team loses Ed Reed, but gains Huff in FA'cy and Matt Elam in the draft.. Amazing! They lose Ray Lewis and Ellerbe, but he gets the versatile Arthur Brown, amazing! They get a great fit in Brandon Williams in RD3 for that Dline, as Spears and Canty aren't long term answers, and grabs another pass rusher with some value in John Simon outta ohio st , and gets value picks later on like Ricky Wagner, Arron Mellette and Marc Anthony.. Ozzie has this GM thing down to a science...

There were other teams i really liked as well, but these teams stuck out to me, and the crazy part is, they all made the postseson last yr all ready and 2 were represented in the SB...
    I think the Ravens are about to field one of my favorite defenses of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSabbath View Post
    I think the Ravens are about to field one of my favorite defenses of all time.
    I can't believe how well they just reload.. Lose Rey Lewis, plug in Arthur Brown, lose Ed Reed, plug in Elam and Huff, lose Kruger, plug in Canty...etc

Arizona Cardinals and NY Jets

Arizona got the Mattheiu and Okafor, 3rd and 4th rounds.

Jets, Best CB in draft in Millner, Richardson, Geno Smith, Brian Winters and a HYnoski type FB

Quote Originally Posted by BlessedinBlue22 View Post

Jets, Best CB in draft in Millner, Richardson, Geno Smith, Brian Winters and a HYnoski type FB
    Ya, Geno Smith is a good get for the Jets, albeit i didn't like any of the QB's to much, but still, to get a QB with that kinda potential when all u have is Mark Sanchez is a smart and wiley pick.. Sheldon RIchardson could add to Coples and Wilkerson to form a intriguing Dline, and Brian Winters was one of my fave lineman in this entire draft.. Milliner will certainly ease the pain of losing Revis, and they also added a solid between the tackles RB recently with the trade for Chris Ivory...

I think one of the steals of the draft was Detroit getting Larry Warford in RD3.. How in the world that caliber G goes in RD3 is beyond me.. THis is a guy i think is probowl talent and very close to the level Chance Warmack is..

Quote Originally Posted by BlessedinBlue22 View Post

I can give the cards a decent grade but I don't agree about the Jets.

That organization is a mess right now. They went into the draft having 5 QBs, many of which they will take a cap hit if they release. Then they draft another....

Its not that I don't like Geno Smith, its that they put themselves in a moron position going into the draft, a position so that the 1 position they needed most (QB) is the 1 position where drafting it would hurt the team.

I also think they wanted Austin and let themselves get jumped. That team needs serious help in the offensive weapon department. Austin fit their need to a tee. He made a college career of taking short passes and turning them into long TDs. They have(or had) a QB who only throws short passes. They also wanted to draft a guy who knew how to work with Austin in Smith(who they did get.) It is just baffling to me.

I am not advocating just drafting need, but cmon you cannot ignore it either.

Ya, Geno Smith is a good get for the Jets, albeit i didn't like any of the QB's to much, but still, to get a QB with that kinda potential when all u have is Mark Sanchez is a smart and wiley pick.. Sheldon RIchardson could add to Coples and Wilkerson to form a intriguing Dline, and Brian Winters was one of my fave lineman in this entire draft.. Milliner will certainly ease the pain of losing Revis, and they also added a solid between the tackles RB recently with the trade for Chris Ivory...
    Yup, Jets is looking good upfront, still got Mangold and replace Matt Slauson with Brian Winters. Could of picked up a replacement for Bart Scott, but i think they still have david harris in the middle. They certainly did better than the Giants imo as far as value and need. Chris Ivory is nicee, with Greene Joe McKnight and Bilal Powell.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    I can give the cards a decent grade but I don't agree about the Jets.

That organization is a mess right now. They went into the draft having 5 QBs, many of which they will take a cap hit if they release. Then they draft another....

Imo, they are in limbo with sanchez right now. Otherwise, why would they bring in Gerrard? I beleive he gets cut around the final cuts of preseason. It'sll be Gerard, Geno Smith and Greg McElroy. We still have Stephen hill, santonio holmes is a playmaker and Jordan White(guy was amazing in college). Thought Cordarelle Patterson was a good fit for the Jets with his size, over Austin. PR/KR, but minnesotta had an awesome 1st round too. Sometimes when u have a player that was to be the #1 pick in the draft in smith, it's kinda hard to pass up that kind of potential in an uncertain area for years with Sanchez at QB.

Its not that I don't like Geno Smith, its that they put themselves in a moron position going into the draft, a position so that the 1 position they needed most (QB) is the 1 position where drafting it would hurt the team.

I also think they wanted Austin and let themselves get jumped. That team needs serious help in the offensive weapon department. Austin fit their need to a tee. He made a college career of taking short passes and turning them into long TDs. They have(or had) a QB who only throws short passes. They also wanted to draft a guy who knew how to work with Austin in Smith(who they did get.) It is just baffling to me.

I am not advocating just drafting need, but cmon you cannot ignore it either.
    Imo, the franchise is in limbo with sanchez right now. Otherwise, why would they bring in Gerrard? I beleive he gets cut around the final cuts of preseason. It'sll be Gerard, Geno Smith and Greg McElroy. We still have Stephen hill, santonio holmes is a playmaker and Jordan White(guy was amazing in college). Thought Cordarelle Patterson was a good fit for the Jets with his size, over Austin. PR/KR, but minnesotta had an awesome 1st round too. Sometimes when u have a player that was to be the #1 pick in the draft in smith, it's kinda hard to pass up that kind of potential in an uncertain area for years with Sanchez at QB.

+ Reply to Thread