+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will Beatty VS. Justin Pugh . Comparing prospects.

That comment was more about upside than his stature. It's the old waver of would you rather select a talented specimen with limited football fundamentals or a more polished player who excelled through his technique in college moving onto the NFL where his opponents now also have that advantage.

I would have always assumed that the Giants valued the former as I believe it's easier to teach technique to a physically superior individual than to hope a player somehow develops some physical attributes he didn't have before.

Pugh was a pretty good technician coming out who compensated for his reach pretty well with his ability to shift and mirror. I don't think he was the athlete that Beatty was which is the premise of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    22 reps is pretty poor though, especially for someone with short arms.

I wonder if its shoulder related still?
    Yeah if you have a bum shoulder you aren't benching squat. A strained rotator (or a healing one) would limit you a lot on that particular exercise.

He's never struck me as physically weak while playing (quite the opposite).
    I have met you. You dont even look good in a winter coat let alone a wet t-shirt... -GameTime

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Is that from 2012 film? Or 2011?

Reese said 2012 he was clearly not at full strength with his shoulder injury, and seemed much stronger towards the end of the season when he was healed up
    And how limited was he in the weight room because of that shoulder injury.. All needs to be taken into account.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    That is the part of your statement I do not understand. Why do you think this? Do you have insight into his frame that we do not? Reese mentioned he has plenty of room for bulk. What is your basis? Is it the short arms?

Or, are you stating someone else's opinion? Because generally, unless I have actually seen the guy up close, I think it is impossible to tell this kind of information from a video of a guy playing football. He is 6'5 306 LBS, he is pretty lean for a guy that size. If anything, that would suggest he has plenty room to add bulk, maybe not as much as a guy with 35 inch arms, but he has plenty.
    How do longer arms equate to a bodys ability to add more bulk?

Quote Originally Posted by Eli TO Shockey View Post
    How do longer arms equate to a bodys ability to add more bulk?
    Larger frame = more possible mass.

But I'm not sure longer arms would contribute significantly to that and we're really talking about adding 10-15 lbs at the most which he could certainly do without impacting his back step.

The "frame" talk is a little strange in that regard.
    I have met you. You dont even look good in a winter coat let alone a wet t-shirt... -GameTime

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    The "frame" talk is a little strange in that regard.
    Which is why I brought it up. I can understand knocking Pugh for a variety of reasons. I just don't get why someone can say they think he has limited ability to add bulk without intimiate knowledge of his body(ok it just got weird in here.)

By all accounts of his coaches he has added a ton of strength in his time at Cuse, yet he is still somewhat of a lean guy. I could see him really adding that extra power quite easily under the supervision of a quality training program, such as the ones offered by NFL teams.

I do not think he will ever be a mauler, but with his excellent footwork and technique I don't think he has to be the strongest guy in the NFL to be successful. His strength isn't what concerns me about him because it is easier to add strength than it is to learn technique.. A guy with good technique and proper bend, such as he has, will be far more effective than a powerhouse with mediocre technique. Pancake blocks are nice for pro bowl votes, but are no more effective than simply keeping the guy you are supposed to block from making the tackle or sack. Pugh is not a perfect pick, but he is pretty good at keeping the guy he is blocking from making the play, and that is ultimately what it is all about.
    Last edited by BlueSanta; 05-03-2013 at 06:30 PM.

Again, no one was talking about his body. The comparison was between Beatty and Pugh, and that Pugh doesn't seem like he has that much more to grow into as a player as Beatty did with less athleticism and better technique.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinfarmer View Post
    Again, no one was talking about his body. The comparison was between Beatty and Pugh, and that Pugh doesn't seem like he has that much more to grow into as a player as Beatty did with less athleticism and better technique.
    I understand. But, you must see from your post why we would think you were talking about his frame. You were talking about his strength then went right into "not having much room to grow into."

Easy to misunderstand. No biggie.

Hopefully, Beatty, with his long arms and vertical can stay on the field this season.

Banned
    Everyone already knows Pugh's arms are too short to be a LT. He will make a great guard some day tho.

+ Reply to Thread