+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy333 View Post
    Joseph was hyped and the reason for the Austin hype was because he could have been a great pick up. As good a GM as Reese is he does not have a crystal ball. Austin did show flashes in camp his rookie season but losing another season due to injury has hurt him. It's also not like he has played a lot and you can say based on his pay he is a bust. It's unfortunate. Still, that does not validate he comparison of the two. The only knock on Hankins seems to be that he where's down after playing 60-70 snaps a game and he will probably never see anywhere near that in the pros.
    Marvin Austin was projected as a first round talent before he ran into NCAA trouble.

The Giants picked up a situational DT, and used a 2nd round pick for it. I'm skeptical he was worth that high a selection until we see him play against pro centers and guards.

Until then, I'm from Missouri.
    Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 05-01-2013 at 09:57 PM.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    Marvin Austin was projected as a first round talent before he ran into NCAA trouble.The Giants picked up a situational DT, and used a 2nd round pick for it. I'm skeptical he was worth that high a selection until we see him play against pro centers and guards.Until then, I'm from Missouri.
    Not after a year off. What difference does that make anyway? Guys slip all the time and it does not mean they are bad.

All-Pro
    Other than being 2nd round picks there s nothing to say he will have the same lack of production as Austin.

Other than being 2nd round picks there s nothing to say he will have the same lack of production as Austin.
    Hankins is going to be a baller. He's a run defense first tackle. He's going to be nasty...

Not after a year off. What difference does that make anyway? Guys slip all the time and it does not mean they are bad.
    I'm just pointing out that people were looking at Austin being an impact player, and he wasn't. The knock on Hankins is he wears down and then starts to give up on plays. I'm just reading the scouting reports.

True, but the converse holds true as well; nothing is telling me this dude is the 2nd Coming of Warren Sapp, either.

Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    Hankins is going to be a baller. He's a run defense first tackle. He's going to be nasty...
    I hope so.... he better be awesome against the run to validate a 2nd round pick. I would have preferred an every-down defender with that high a selection.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

All-Pro
    There is still no comparison to Austin other than being a 2nd round pick. Austin didn't play his senior season and then was hurt his entire rookies season. Why not compare him to Joseph who was also a 2nd round pick and didn't miss his senior season?
    Last edited by Buddy333; 05-01-2013 at 11:18 PM.

[QUOTE=joemorrisforprez;757477]I'm just pointing out that people were looking at Austin being an impact player, and he wasn't. The knock on Hankins is he wears down and then starts to give up on plays. I'm just reading the scouting reports.

You need to re read your scouting reports or stop picking and choosing what you want to say the guy has issues. He didn't have a conditioning issue. He played 60+ to 70 snaps a games across the D-Line at every technique and from what I saw excelled at all of them. Taking on double Teams and holding the point of attack. Spliting Double teams, going over the guards the center the tackle. Rushing the passer hitting backs in the backfield. Making openfield tackles after running across the field. NOT ONE other DT that was in this draft did what Hankins did on a weekly basis. NONE of them. Yeah some of them had better sack stats or tackling stats. Some got more attention but none of them did what Hankins did or could do. Was Hankins a sack machnine No but he can rush the QB as a 3T DT. Richardson,Floyd,Star and none of the rest had the versatility Hankins did and they certainly didn't do it every game all game 60+ to 70 snaps.