+ Reply to Thread

Stapleton: Giants Will Not Rush Hakeem Nicks

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/20...eem_Nicks.html

Hakeem Nicks is being cautious and, at this point, who could blame him?

Nobody knows better how a misstep this time of year can cost you an entire season.

With the Giants assembling today as the next phase of the NFL’s off-season workout program begins – more than likely without unsigned star receiver Victor Cruz – Nicks won’t be able to step on the practice field free of flashbacks to how his 2012 campaign was sidetracked for all intents and purposes a year ago this week.

When Nicks broke the fifth metatarsal in his right foot during the Giants’ second organized team activity (OTA), the injury that ended up handcuffing Eli Manning and the offense received little fanfare.

That practice was closed to the media and news of what happened to Nicks was delivered via a press release. Stunning, for sure, but certainly not the kind of headline-grabber it would have been if reporters were present, especially not when assessing the situation in hindsight.

With all the attention devoted to Cruz’s contract situation, his future in a Giant uniform can’t be sized up without considering that of another soon-to-be free agent in Nicks.

One is expected to be there catching Manning passes and one probably won’t be in attendance.

But what we learned last season is that these two talented wide receivers go hand in hand, and as much as Big Blue need and want Cruz back, they have to take Nicks’ skill into account, as well.

And those questioning why Cruz isn’t going to join his teammates until the ink is dry on a new contract should look no further than what happened to Nicks last year.

When Nicks went down on the second day of OTAs, he was never the same and neither were the Giants.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

What is sad is we will only hear about the Cruz issue and little else throughout the OTAs.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    What is sad is we will only hear about the Cruz issue and little else throughout the OTAs.
    We just posted two threads about Nicks
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

I wasn't sure you could string this many words together, without compiling one clear thought, until I clicked this thread.

Stapleton should have stopped after the first sentence and he would have written an equally compelling article as the one above.
    Quote Originally Posted by PBTimmons View Post
    This. Pugh is not happening. Not. Happening.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    We just posted two threads about Nicks
    And yet we're talking about Cruz.

Sigh.
    I have met you. You dont even look good in a winter coat let alone a wet t-shirt... -GameTime

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post

Sigh.
    Whose fault is that? lol

Sigh.
    Gots to cause he is real important cause he could effect how the Giants will deal with Nicks and other talents that may need to get payed well. We need players to help with JPP. I don't want to have just two good cbs and we really have one in the Price while the other one is not playing that well. Giants need a lot of help.

Sigh.
    What about Cruz and his contract??!?!?!?!

geeze.....how long does it take a little bone to heal????? He's a young kid. This **** should have healed in the off season.....
    I sound ignorant I realize that but enough already. The 5th metatarsal is small bone, which I get has a lot of stress on it, but really??? Its not healed yet??

sounds fishy to me.....must be something more going on here....
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch