+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMeyerBud View Post
    well regardless to pin something all on one game and declare it all is a huge stretch of a thing to do. And I can't say I watched the senior bowl, but that was a game where I've read and heard on Sirius that he helped his stock.
    Are you serious? He almost got his own guy (Nassib) killed. He was abused.

And Matt, we have a few draft experts here in the MB. I have not heard one who thought that wasa good pick. Most were outraged by it.
    Get well soon 80.

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    That's fine. I'm telling you that no one had Rhodes rated lower than Pugh. No one had Trufant lower than Pugh and no one had Floyd lower than Pugh.

Not even us.
    Reese may have decided the number one priority was to upgrade the offensive line. I think that although Rhodes may be a better player, an upgrade at Oline was more impotent than upgrading corner back or any other position for that matter. Thus rating pugh ahead of everyone left.

Now if pugh was gone I wonder if we would have taken long.

Quote Originally Posted by giants8493 View Post
    Reese may have decided the number one priority was to upgrade the offensive line. I think that although Rhodes may be a better player, an upgrade at Oline was more impotent than upgrading corner back or any other position for that matter. Thus rating pugh ahead of everyone left.

Now if pugh was gone I wonder if we would have taken long.
    I also thought O line should have been our #1 priority, but you can't reach into the second round with the 19th pick. I would have loved Fluker to be there at 19, but since he was gone was had to go BPA. And there was some outstanding talent that had fallen. Namely Floyd and Rhodes.
    Get well soon 80.

Not sure I would have grabbed a QB in the draft as early as they did.... The kid may turn into something some day, but for the most part, he is going to be a pre-season player and a clip board holder for at least 5 years.... I would have rathered looked for a LB or DB..... or another O-lineman.... somebody who could contribute this season.

Quote Originally Posted by rebelfan1966 View Post
    Not sure I would have grabbed a QB in the draft as early as they did.... The kid may turn into something some day, but for the most part, he is going to be a pre-season player and a clip board holder for at least 5 years.... I would have rathered looked for a LB or DB..... or another O-lineman.... somebody who could contribute this season.
    Back up QB is actually a very important position for a contending team. We've been lucky that Eli hasn't taken a shot to the knees or some other injury that most QB's suffer. Especially later in their career.
    Get well soon 80.

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    I also thought O line should have been our #1 priority, but you can't reach into the second round with the 19th pick. I would have loved Fluker to be there at 19, but since he was gone was had to go BPA. And there was some outstanding talent that had fallen. Namely Floyd and Rhodes.
    Is it really reaching into the second round though? Kyle Long went one spot after. Pugh would not have been available in the second round. I think if the giants did not take Pugh there then the bears may have.

Veteran
    If we took rhodes along with hankins in the first two rounds then next offseason we could let linval and webster walk and not have to invest much more money into those positions. Going into 2014 we would have rhodes prince and hosley as starting corners all on rookie deals. That would have saved us tons of cap space AND had able bodies with experience. Pretty disappointing that they had the foresight to draft hankins but not Rhodes.

Veteran
    Is it really reaching into the second round though? Kyle Long went one spot after. Pugh would not have been available in the second round. I think if the giants did not take Pugh there then the bears may have.
    Just because the bears were also willing to reach for him, doesnt mean it was a wise decision.

The problem is that since there was an early run on O linemen, both us and the Bears were in panic mode. Or at least scramble mode. I think the Bears reached as well due to their horrific O line and their inability to protect Cutler. We also reached because we had a hole in our roster at RT.

So yes, I think it was a reach. And whats frustrating about it is that so much great talent fell into our lap due to that run on the O line. Floyd and Rhodes were both top 10 talent and we passed on them. So not only did we reach into the second round, but we had the chance to draft a guy rated much higher than our draft position.
    Get well soon 80.