+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    I'd give us a B until we see how they all develop. I have hopes for better than that.

I think JR is just blowing smoke at everyone with the best player available philosophy. It is clear from the last few drafts that he is drafting for either immediate need or just over the horizon need. Rookies making quicker impact has changed alot in the NFL and free agents chew up too much cap space. There is always a balance between drafting for need and drafting the BPA. Years ago it may have been as high as 70% BPA. It is more like 20% BPA at this point IMO.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    None of the guys we picked were guys I hated. Generally, I go into drafts knowing who I like, and who I don't like and my hope is that we don't draft the guys I dislike. I would not have guessed Pugh would got to us at 19, but I don't hate it. It is growing on me.

The Hankins pick is fine with me even if it was a bit of a surprise. I see him as a Linval type player, a big zero tech and I don't see he and Lival on the field together much. Which leads me to believe the front office thinks resigning Joseph next year is going to be difficult.

I like the Nassib pick, unlike many here. We Giant fans are spoiled by Eli's durability. But, his ability to stay healthy isn't a given, especially as he ages. So having a capable backup for the future, a guy who can actually win a game or 2 if needed is huge. I think a lot of the posters on these boards are young, because I only have to mention the 1990 season to us older fans to back up my claim of the importance of having a cpable backup.

I know very little about the RB we took( I am not mentioning his name for a reason hehe) because there is not much footage or info out there on this kid.

I love the Moore pick.

Cooper is interesting and clearly the league is changing and teams are playing with hybrid type players to help stop the TE dominance we have seen areise in recent years.

I guess the biggest concern I have is that 3 of our draftees have potential risks that complicate them.

Moore has the dedication knock on him after a combine that had people questioning his commitment.

Hankins has had trouble with his weight

and Cooper has a serious health issue in his past.

All 3 of those could be nothing, but who knows.
    Good synopsis

Quote Originally Posted by bigjeep View Post
    I agree with Roosevelt. Strange to pick a QB with the 4th pick and have your GM say I hope he never plays? We could have picked a player ( LB or CB ) that could have helped this year with the 4th pick! QB could have waited another few years. All the experts seem to agree that Pugh was a reach! Even the ones that like him as a player still think it was a reach. No LB or CB not good. Going to be a major problem again this year. Can Webster and Ross still play, and the jury is still out on the prince! C-
    What LB or CB did you want in the 4th who could have helped in this upcoming season?

C as in Average draft not C as in Mel Kiper which means the worst in the NFL. The Damontre Moore pick was the only pick that I liked. Hankins was the right value for where he was selected but if we dont resign Joseph next season its a wash. Pugh isnt a bad player and this draft was very weak in the 1st round so if u want to secure a starter so be it but I didnt like it.I though they passed on a better prospect in Cordy Glenn last year. Cooper Taylor I havent seen play much but I like the physical skill he has. At worst he should be a demon on special teams which is fine its the 5th round. The 2 7th round picks are hard for me to critique. I have seen other guys play more but that doesnt mean they are better so I wont even involve them in the grading.

Quote Originally Posted by Harooni View Post
    I figure it will be too expensive to give him another contract and he probably would fetch a nice number in FA by some desperate team. but who knows maybe then Eli will want to stay and reduce his asking price. time will tell. but i think we have a great pick here to step in.
    Lande is either going to look like a fool or get a job as a scout in 3 -4 years. i still cant believe he had him Number 1 overall.This QB class is awful so if u want to say he is the best QB I dont have a problem but #1 overall seems insane

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    C as in Average draft not C as in Mel Kiper which means the worst in the NFL. The Damontre Moore pick was the only pick that I liked. Hankins was the right value for where he was selected but if we dont resign Joseph next season its a wash. Pugh isnt a bad player and this draft was very weak in the 1st round so if u want to secure a starter so be it but I didnt like it.I though they passed on a better prospect in Cordy Glenn last year. Cooper Taylor I havent seen play much but I like the physical skill he has. At worst he should be a demon on special teams which is fine its the 5th round. The 2 7th round picks are hard for me to critique. I have seen other guys play more but that doesnt mean they are better so I wont even involve them in the grading.
    I agree..... "C"..... still very early to call a draft, and like others have said, might take a couple years to get the true measure of some of these guys.

Pugh was a solid pick in the 1st. Absolutely no problem taking this guy in the 1st given his skill set and the Giants needs.

Hankins is a situational DT (run stuffer) that will not help this team deal with it's atrocious performance on 3rd and long; I don't think a situational guy is worth a 2nd round pick. I also think that his weight/conditioning will be an issue down the road. He better be an absolute brick wall against the run, otherwise, this was a bad pick in the 2nd.

Moore is probably my favorite pick of the draft. Teams will be hard pressed to double and triple team JPP with this kid on the field. This pick should also help Tuck.....provides a true rotation now, at the least.

Nassib seems like a quality pro QB prospect....but a backup QB does not make sense this year, period, especially at the expense of glaring holes on this team. Eli still has 5-7 years in the tank, and has been durable, and David Carr is fine as a backup QB. This pick would make a ton of sense in 2016. As it is, we'll be grooming someone that will make a great addition to another team in a few years. Hopefully the Giants can get a draft pick out of this guy before he can hit the open market without compensation. The Giants would be much stronger with Khaseem Greene on the roster, plain and simple.

Cooper Taylor is an intriguing player, but his health issues make this a risk/reward grab. He could be a sleeper or else a PUP list guy depending on his heart condition.

6th round was spent for Nassib, which makes the 4th round pick even more of a loss in my opinion.

Eric Herman was a good grab in the 7th....productive guy in a small conference (MAC) makes this a good value pick. At the very least, he provides additional competition. Some of these OL projects that Reese has drafted need to step up or else find a new profession, and maybe Herman helps answer that question.

Cox is training camp fodder, or maybe a special teamer. Running back is not a need, either. Would much rather seen them take a flier on a corner or linebacker in this spot, given the needs at those positions.
    Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 05-01-2013 at 09:30 AM.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

B+ A-
    FUTURE NFL STAR

through 6 games

16 rushes for 185 yards 2 td
    21 pancake blocks
    25 tackles 3 sacks (3 td saving tackles including final tackle as time expired to clinch win, hit of the game 9/14 )
    5-0-1 record

With no information about how these kids will translate to the NFL, I'd have to say C+.
    But any grade is a blind guess. It could turn out to be a great draft.
    Even a year after its still hard to rate it. Look at 2007. We thought that was a great draft after year 1 but it really turned out to be mediocre.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by ryan12 View Post
    B+ A-
    i included udfa in my ans
    FUTURE NFL STAR

through 6 games

16 rushes for 185 yards 2 td
    21 pancake blocks
    25 tackles 3 sacks (3 td saving tackles including final tackle as time expired to clinch win, hit of the game 9/14 )
    5-0-1 record

Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    Cox is training camp fodder, or maybe a special teamer. Running back is not a need, either. Would much rather seen them take a flier on a corner or linebacker in this spot, given the needs at those positions.
    See, I just don't think you draft need in late rounds. Late rounds, to me, is all about value.

I am not saying Cox is good value, because I have no idea there is so little info out there on him. But, I bet Reese/Ross know a thing or 2 about him. I also disagree with the notion that we are set at RB.

We have 2 capable backs, 1 with a horrific injury history. Beyond that we have a bunch of nothing.

TC never lets primary backs do the kickoff returns, he revolked Bradshaw as the kick returner in 2007 when injury promoted him to the top 2 Rbs. So it is doubtful Wilson remains out KR. We do have a need for a kickoff return guy and I don't see him in a lot of our other speed position guys. So maybe they have Cox in mind for that.

I would say Cox has as much a chance to make the team as any Rb not named Wilson or Brown.