+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkSaint View Post
    . How many years do you need to train a qb in waiting? 2, 4, 6? Eli is 32, we could wait a couple of years to draft a trainee in waiting. We would have been better off to use those 2 picks on need for this year. With Nassib, we basically lost 2 picks for this year that we could have used on a Lb and cb. By picking him we have practically no one that will help us this year. This isn't difficult to grasp you know, we gave up a 4th and 5th for a clipboard holder. If you are worried about Eli getting hurt we should have a capable qb to take over right at that moment and not have to wait for him to be ready in 3- 4 years. We should have a quality backup, Also if you are worried about long term replacement if eli's career is cut short, that's a risk we have been taking since he stepped on the field. And since he is advancing in age, he is likely to get hurt or take time off, then it points to having a capable backup who can step in and help right away. This is another gamble to get a higher pick in the future and nothing else and I definitely don't agree with Reese. It didnt work out the last 2 times he tries, chances are that he strikes out with this one. All I'm frustrated with is that by taking this swing and miss we missed out on Greene who could have helped us immediately. Your bias against eli is clouding your judgement.
    The Giants had Greene in for a pre-draft visit. If they were as enamored with him as you are I'm sure they would have got him. Obviously they disagree about him being an immediate help to the defense. It's funny how you've elevated Greene as an "immediate" starter and Nassib as a "swing and a miss" and neither have even taken the field yet! Did you know the Powerball numbers before they were drawn?

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    The first round pick was a huge reach. The rest of the draft seems OK at this point, but who the heck knows until several years have passed.
    again, you probably haven't watched a single Syracuse game nor paid attention to the LT position if you did. I just think you have zero basis to say that it was a reach, especially when Chicago was reportedly going to draft him after us.

Im not saying it was great or awful, from what I read I like the kid. But what are you basing your reach comment on
    Fear the name, appreciate the game

Quote Originally Posted by MattMeyerBud View Post
    again, you probably haven't watched a single Syracuse game nor paid attention to the LT position if you did. I just think you have zero basis to say that it was a reach, especially when Chicago was reportedly going to draft him after us.

Im not saying it was great or awful, from what I read I like the kid. But what are you basing your reach comment on
    All I saw was the Senior Bowl performance where he was absolutely awful. That combined with 90% of the projections which had him in the 60's.

I also look at the situation that JR put himself in with no starting RT on the roster. Do I hope the kid can step in and play? Absolutely. But when Xavier Rhodes drops to you and you take a guy who plays the only position where you don't have a starter?......I cry foul.

They had decided to take the best OT on the board no matter who was taken before them. I think JR was surprised to see Fluker gone. So they settled for a second round prospect and passed on a couple TOP TEN prospects.

That's poor drafting as far as I'm concerned.

You are free to disagree but that is my reasoning.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Bench Player
    All I saw was the Senior Bowl performance where he was absolutely awful. That combined with 90% of the projections which had him in the 60's.

I also look at the situation that JR put himself in with no starting RT on the roster. Do I hope the kid can step in and play? Absolutely. But when Xavier Rhodes drops to you and you take a guy who plays the only position where you don't have a starter?......I cry foul.

They had decided to take the best OT on the board no matter who was taken before them. I think JR was surprised to see Fluker gone. So they settled for a second round prospect and passed on a couple TOP TEN prospects.

I agree that rhodes might have been higher on the draft board- as when Mike Mayock rated him 20 on his top 100 prospects of 2013 while Pugh was 24. But the giants realized they have a NEED very close to a BPA situation.

Many rated Pugh as a 2nd round talent but Mayock ( not saying he's always right) had him in the first round. You have to realize when you BPA not too far away from NEED- u gotta take pugh. Pugh strength might be weak but that can be build. In any kind of sport, technique/skill always beat strength- Pugh has the tools to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by evojutsu View Post
    I agree that rhodes might have been higher on the draft board- as when Mike Mayock rated him 20 on his top 100 prospects of 2013 while Pugh was 24. But the giants realized they have a NEED very close to a BPA situation.

Many rated Pugh as a 2nd round talent but Mayock ( not saying he's always right) had him in the first round. You have to realize when you BPA not too far away from NEED- u gotta take pugh. Pugh strength might be weak but that can be build. In any kind of sport, technique always beat skill- Pugh has the tools to succeed.

The consensus is that Mayock had inside info that JR was taking the best OT on the board no matter what.
    To me, the only NFL ready OT that had a chance to fall to us was Fluker. When he was gone we should have gone for some of the great talent that fell to us as a product of the run on O linemen.

And Pugh may be a good player. But he's much less NFL ready. It will probably take a while before he's ready. And it may not even be at OT.
    Just think that was a huge reach. The rest of the draft was fine with me.

The consensus is that Mayock had inside info that JR was taking the best OT on the board no matter what.
    To me, the only NFL ready OT that had a chance to fall to us was Fluker. When he was gone we should have gone for some of the great talent that fell to us as a product of the run on O linemen.

And Pugh may be a good player. But he's much less NFL ready. It will probably take a while before he's ready. And it may not even be at OT.
    Just think that was a huge reach. The rest of the draft was fine with me.
    Check the note cards

Quote Originally Posted by giants8493 View Post
    Check the note cards
    That's fine. I'm telling you that no one had Rhodes rated lower than Pugh. No one had Trufant lower than Pugh and no one had Floyd lower than Pugh.

Not even us.

It might have been poor drafting as far as value is concerned, but I think Reese did the right move - mixing both need and value. Pugh wasn't a reach only because there were a bunch of other teams lining up to sign him. That being said, I expect this guy to start day 1. If he doesn't, then I have no idea what JR was thinking. If we were going to draft for the future using our 1st round pick, there were better values out there.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby74 View Post
    It might have been poor drafting as far as value is concerned, but I think Reese did the right move - mixing both need and value. Pugh wasn't a reach only because there were a bunch of other teams lining up to sign him. That being said, I expect this guy to start day 1. If he doesn't, then I have no idea what JR was thinking. If we were going to draft for the future using our 1st round pick, there were better values out there.
    Should have signed Eric Winston and then gone BPA.
    The mistake JR made was not having the roster in order at RT. So he HAD to get a RT in round one, instead of going BPA (Rhodes or Floyd).

Can you imaginf Rhodes and Prince at corner for the next several years?

well regardless to pin something all on one game and declare it all is a huge stretch of a thing to do. And I can't say I watched the senior bowl, but that was a game where I've read and heard on Sirius that he helped his stock.
    Fear the name, appreciate the game