+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPN: Nassib best pick of NFL draft

If Nassib shows any fladh during the pre season I woudl rather hqve him then Carr. I have no faith in Carr at all if he is needed for any length of time.
    Of course Nassib is an unknown but he is a rook and has potential. Carr is just....Carr.
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    By 38 or 39, do you mean 33?

And yes, while Carr is aging, he is also not being asked to do much currently. Plenty of perennial backup QBs have played to 40 in this league.

In a vacuum it was a good pick ... in reality, we had more pressing concerns (hello LINEBACKER?!?!?!??!).

Of course I may totally eat my words if Eli gets hit by a small planet tomorrow.
    Or if we totally suck the next couple years and need to rebuild the team. I don't know. I have problems believing that the Giants are drafting him to be a backup. They traded up just to get him. If Eli goes down, we're screwed either way. If anything we're better off with Carr in the near future than a rookie.

And yes, while Carr is aging, he is also not being asked to do much currently. Plenty of perennial backup QBs have played to 40 in this league.

In a vacuum it was a good pick ... in reality, we had more pressing concerns (hello LINEBACKER?!?!?!??!).

Of course I may totally eat my words if Eli gets hit by a small planet tomorrow.
    wow didnt realize he was that young. he has been in the league for quite some time. still best to have a rookie and groom him. Carr has limited potential.

Coughlin using his Tablet

Time will tell. Hopefully he watches for 2 years while Eli plays every game.

If not, Carr is what he is. A backup who you live woith for a half a game or a game, but if the QB is out 4-6 weeks you are screwed.

The rookie may be good, may be great, may be out of the league in a few years- at least there is potential

Quote Originally Posted by Harooni View Post
    oh oh becareful you will be accused of pushing Eli out before he is 50.
    LOL.

Seriously, though, 38 is the age when QBs really should think about stepping down. It's like being a 31 year old running back.

Don Pierson wrote a great article on this subject (back in 2003).

"....
    The pattern is eerie. Past 38, Warren Moon stands virtually alone as a success. He threw 25 touchdown passes for Seattle as a 14-game starter in 1997, the season he turned 41. Doug Flutie's only 16-game NFL season came at age 39 with San Diego in 2001.

Dan Marino and Steve Young retired at 38. Young suffered his last concussion two weeks before his 38th birthday and never played again.

John Elway staggered through his final season in Denver at 38, missed four games with injury, won the Super Bowl and retired a month before his 39th birthday.

Joe Montana played his final season for Kansas City at 38. Phil Simms started 16 games for the New York Giants at 38 and was released before the next season.

This is not a recent pattern. Washington's great Sammy Baugh turned 38 in 1952, broke his hand in the preseason, threw only 33 more passes and retired.

Chandler's father-in-law, John Brodie of the 49ers, turned 38 in 1973, was benched, announced retirement plans, started the season finale and left in the first half with a sore arm.

When Minnesota's Fran Tarkenton turned 38 in 1978, he threw almost as many interceptions, 32, as his age--and never played again.

George Blanda? He played until he was 48, but mainly as a kicker. When he was 38, he threw 30 interceptions for Houston in the AFL. His playing time was cut in half at 39 and he was traded to Oakland, where he never threw more than 58 passes in a season.

There are many other examples. Anybody want to know what's wrong with Rich Gannon and the Oakland Raiders? Gannon turns 38 in December. The Bears are hoping Chandler, who celebrated his 38th birthday on the bench in New Orleans, becomes an exception.

...."

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...landa-birthday
    So, Eli has maybe 5 or 6 years left in the tank....he's 32 right now.

Nassib will hit the market 1 or 2 years before that time.....therefore, there is a real concern that the Giants have drafted and developed for another team's benefit. Maybe they'll restructure his contract before then....or maybe he'll "Cruz" on the Giants. Either way, they are going to pay up or lose the kid before he is a starter.

That why I think this was an awesome pick.....if we were in 2016.
    Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 05-02-2013 at 05:14 PM.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Bench Player
    Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    LOL.

Seriously, though, 38 is the age when QBs really should think about stepping down. It's like being a 31 year old running back.

Don Pierson wrote a great article on this subject (back in 2003).

So, Eli has maybe 5 or 6 years left in the tank....he's 32 right now.

Nassib will hit the market 1 or 2 years before that time.....therefore, there is a real concern that the Giants have drafted and developed for another team's benefit. Maybe they'll restructure his contract before then....or maybe he'll "Cruz" on the Giants. Either way, they are going to pay up or lose the kid before he is a starter.

i think he is trade bait down the line, perhaps 2 years, let him have garbage time and pre-season showcases, if he does well some desperate team will trade for him perhaps for a second rounder, maybe late first round

Need always plays a part of every draft. But, the further you get into the rounds the less and less need plays into it and the more value plays into it.

I cannot think of any successful drafting team that seriously considers needs in the late rounds. It should be all about who has the best chance of playing in this league. So, while I understand the complaint about not taking a LB. In my opinion, that complaint applies to the 1st 3 rounds moreso than the day 3 picks. On day 3 you pick the very best players you can regardless of position.

Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    Yep. As I said previously in this thread or another, I think our guy is getting ready to graduate high school somewhere next month. I think we need to put the hounds on top quarterback prospects coming out of high school.

This is what I was thinking as well.

I understand the logic of getting that kind of value in the 4th round but it kind of reminds me of buying a palette of pickles that are on sale for an incredible price ... even though you don't eat/want/need pickles.
    You're right, but might they also be thinking Mr. Durable may not be so durable over the next several years and they'd like to have someone backing him up who could win games?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Bench Player
    When this pick happened, I remember complete outrage on this forum. I remember countless angry people, now ESPN says its a great pick, and the forum for the most part flops to "oh maybe Reese does know what he's doing!" I don't get it..Nothing has changed since the draft..Reese has a great track record, better off not to question it.

+ Reply to Thread