+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    Guess so, but they also said the draft was QB weak, so why should Nassib be any good especially since he went in the 4th round nonetheless?
    Before the draft while discussing Nassib on NFL Network, they said he has all the tools to be a 1st round pick and franchise QB. His problem seems to be that on occasion his accuracy is off. He'll miss the wide open receiver. They also said he's probably the most ready to play QB in the NFL in the draft.

All-Pro
    like everyone else I questioned the pick when the giants did it. especially trading up to get him. now if they say he was the highest rated on their board at the time and felt someone else would take him in those 6 picks or so till we drafted in the 4th round then so be it. the pick has grown on me as well. I think its a smart move to start grooming your new guy especially since we know that Painter and Carr are not the answer for the future for sure. We wont carry 4 QBs and the Giants wont take a chance putting him on the PA for fear of someone claiming him off waivers. So that means its prob bye bye for Carr. I don't think they would cut Painter after they just signed him as a FA. I think Painter becomes your Carr and Nas will be Eli's Eventual Replacement. Youll see him get in for mop up duties and gradually take the 2nd spot on roster as the backup to eli maybe within 2 seasons.
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    In the midst of this losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Quote Originally Posted by miked1958 View Post
    like everyone else I questioned the pick when the giants did it. especially trading up to get him. now if they say he was the highest rated on their board at the time and felt someone else would take him in those 6 picks or so till we drafted in the 4th round then so be it. the pick has grown on me as well. I think its a smart move to start grooming your new guy especially since we know that Painter and Carr are not the answer for the future for sure. We wont carry 4 QBs and the Giants wont take a chance putting him on the PA for fear of someone claiming him off waivers. So that means its prob bye bye for Carr. I don't think they would cut Painter after they just signed him as a FA. I think Painter becomes your Carr and Nas will be Eli's Eventual Replacement. Youll see him get in for mop up duties and gradually take the 2nd spot on roster as the backup to eli maybe within 2 seasons.
    Even if Nassib doesn't pan out, the thought process is a good thing.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

All-Pro
    Oh and like some have said we all know that if Eli ever went down our season would be over with our backups. at least with this kid you have someone you actually fell could be the successor to Eli coming in to take the Reps. Season may very well STILL be over if Ryan plays but at least he will be working towards being the Number 1 guy at some point. With the other 2 you know it s just a body in there and depending on how hurt Eli was they would be just playing out the string while the giants looked for a suitable replacement.. the other thing is that eli is getting older and he knew he had no completion with our current backups and knew they were no THREAT to him. Having this kid waiting in the wings I think will be even more motivation for eli to go out and win another SB
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    In the midst of this losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Oh and like some have said we all know that if Eli ever went down our season would be over with our backups. at least with this kid you have someone you actually fell could be the successor to Eli coming in to take the Reps. Season may very well STILL be over if Ryan plays but at least he will be working towards being the Number 1 guy at some point. With the other 2 you know it s just a body in there and depending on how hurt Eli was they would be just playing out the string while the giants looked for a suitable replacement.. the other thing is that eli is getting older and he knew he had no completion with our current backups and knew they were no THREAT to him. Having this kid waiting in the wings I think will be even more motivation for eli to go out and win another SB
    This may be more the reason than we know. Eli has been very durable, but, as we all know, that could end at any time.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

I see no way Painter is on the roster much longer. For what reason? Him and Carr both are making less than $1M. Carr will probably be there if the Giants feel they can carry 3 QB's because I'm sure they'd like Nassib to learn and not be the backup to Eli right away.

Quote Originally Posted by darrin99 View Post
    I see no way Painter is on the roster much longer. For what reason? Him and Carr both are making less than $1M. Carr will probably be there if the Giants feel they can carry 3 QB's because I'm sure they'd like Nassib to learn and not be the backup to Eli right away.
    I would hate to see us carry three QBs into the season.
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 05-01-2013 at 03:14 PM.

Veteran
    As I mentioned in another thread I made shortly after we drafted him...

We got the best pure passer in the entire class, and what many considered a 1st round draft pick, in the fourth round...

Worst case, he's worth a 2nd round pick.
    Better case, he's our Matt Flynn.
    Best Case, he's our Aaron Rodgers.

Really not a downside in taking this kid in the 4th round.

And to his benefit, he get's to hold the clipboard for Eli Manning in a time where he is still developing and has more to learn about the position. Not many better places he could have gone.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    I wold hate to see us carry three QBs into the season.
    It's a tough choice. I know many feel the season is over anyway if Carr has to play for an extended period, so they could just throw Nassib into the fire if it comes to that.

Was it value? Very much so. Best pick in the draft? No, not in my opinion. Maybe in 3-4 years we'll say it was the steal of the draft but no way I can say this was great right now.