+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fumble issues

Starter

Fumble issues

We all know TC is huge on ball security...as he should be. We also know he benched Wilson due to his fumble early in the year and it took forever to dig himself out of that. I was looking at stats earlier today and was shocked to see that Barry Sanders fumbled 10 times his rookie year and four more the following year. I am not equating Wilson to Barry Sanders, but the point is that dynamic play makers have had rookie issues before and they were not benched. I have no idea what Sanders was like in pass protection that year, so please don't throw that one out. We know Wilson struggled that way, but it was not why he was benched. Just sayin'...

edit: spelling
    Last edited by Turbo; 05-03-2013 at 03:57 PM.

Wilson had 1 fumble all year...he didn't struggle with fumbles his rookie year. He didn't play because his pass protection wasn't good. It would of been easy for the opponent to figure out when he comes into the game its a run.

Well we know tc doesnt like fumblers but he fixed tikis issue so he knows how to do it. I'm not worried at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
    We all know TC is huge on ball security...as he should be. We also know he benched Wilson due to his fumble early in the year and it took forever to dig himself out of that. I was looking at stats earlier today and was shocked to see that Barry Sanders fumbled 10 times his rookie year and four more the following year. I am not equating Wilson to Barry Sanders, but the point is that dynamic play makers have had rookie issues before and they were not benched. I have no idea what Sanders was like in pass protection that year, so please don't throw that one out. We know Wilson struggled that way, but it was not why he was benched. Just sayin'...

Because the Lions didn't view themselves as being in the hunt for the SB every year back then. Turnovers are coach killers and any coach that likes there position is going to go with guys who minimize giveaways. TC would always take a sure handed punt returner versus an explosive type for the same reason................it is a winning strategy plain and simple.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by DownWitJPP View Post
    Wilson had 1 fumble all year...he didn't struggle with fumbles his rookie year. He didn't play because his pass protection wasn't good. It would of been easy for the opponent to figure out when he comes into the game its a run.
    So TC benched him immediately after his fumble because of pass protection?

Fumbling is a huge issue. I think Wilson just needs to be comfortable a bit and he'll be fine. With the way our RB roster is looking, I'll start to believe that Wilson is going to get really good time.

Veteran
    We all know TC is huge on ball security...as he should be. We also know he benched Wilson due to his fumble early in the year
    Not saying I agree or disagree with you, but that second statement is pure opinion and not fact.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by njg85m View Post
    Not saying I agree or disagree with you, but that second statement is pure opinion and not fact.
    Fact is he fumbled and was benched starting the next play. If that was not due to him fumbling then you would be correct.

Veteran
    Fact is he fumbled and was benched starting the next play. If that was not due to him fumbling then you would be correct.
    Again, I get very frustrated when people seem to have selective memory of how things actually happened.

Bradshaw was hurt at the time, No one had any expectations of Andre Brown let alone did anyone think that he would come OUT OF NO WHERE and play like a pro bowler the very next week, Bradshaw got healthy. There were numerous things that happened.

I'm not saying his contribution was not limited THAT DAY because of the fumble, in fact it is extremely common for many teams in the league to limit a players touches or bench them altogether after a fumble for that game. I'm simply pointing out that it is ridiculous and shortsighted to assume that David Wilsons fumble in the season opener somehow prevented him from being our #1 back when that simply isn't the case.

Again, you need to look back and put things in perspective. Brown surprised absolutely everybody, Bradshaw played better than expected. It's insane to think that Tom Coughlin changed his entire gameplanning for a year because of one fumble. He's a future HOF coach, not a moron.

First, Wilson wasn't "benched." Had he been benched, he would not have broken the record for the most all purpose yards in a single game. His offensive snaps were limited for a variety of reasons to include the infamous fumble.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1