+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Is the loss of a 3rd receiver that is a threat tough for Eli?

Was the loss of Manningham a problem for Eli... not having that solid 3rd receiver. A receiving corps of a healthy Nicks, Cruz, and Manningham was challenging for defenses. Add Hynoski or Pascoe to the mix, too... and we had production on 3rd down, especially.

I was at the 2008 playoff game at Lambeau (Steve Smith, Plax and Toomer) when Burress ate Al Harris' lunch and the 2012 playoff game at Lambeau when Nicks, Cruz and Manningham were a lot for Green Bay's defense to handle...

Last year, Barden, Hixon, and Randle never seemed to be the solution.

What do you guys think?
    Die-hard Giants fan since the early 60's!

i think the loss of our #1 wr in nicks (he was a shell of himself all season) hurt more than the 3rd wrs production. while hixon wasnt scaring defenses, he made some plays as did barden, randle in diff games. having that MM 3rd wr woulda helped tho.

Brandon Myers will fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    i think the loss of our #1 wr in nicks (he was a shell of himself all season) hurt more than the 3rd wrs production. while hixon wasnt scaring defenses, he made some plays as did barden, randle in diff games. having that MM 3rd wr woulda helped tho.
    This.

I think it hurt but to what extent I don't know. You figure each week there was an audition for the third spot and when Nicks was out the problem was compunded because you needed someone to also fill in the number one spot. Cruz was the only one that stayed in his spot. The receivers were obviously different and brought different skill sets so Eli probably had to adjust to them instead of them adjusting to him.

Not sure how much of a factor it was being that he is a smart veteran quarterback, but it probably didn't help things.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueOldSchool View Post
    Was the loss of Manningham a problem for Eli... not having that solid 3rd receiver. A receiving corps of a healthy Nicks, Cruz, and Manningham was challenging for defenses. Add Hynoski or Pascoe to the mix, too... and we had production on 3rd down, especially.

I was at the 2008 playoff game at Lambeau (Steve Smith, Plax and Toomer) when Burress ate Al Harris' lunch and the 2012 playoff game at Lambeau when Nicks, Cruz and Manningham were a lot for Green Bay's defense to handle...

What do you guys think?
    You are on the money.

I think that may be why they picked up Louis Murphy, he has the speed to stretch the field and is supposed to be a solid receiver, good for a number three. Given that I think that you hit the nail on the head, the G'men just didn't have the right mix of receivers.

I think we really did miss MM last year, but only because Nick was pretty much useless. If nicks was 100% all year, it would have been no problem. Randle will fill the number 3 role just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueOldSchool View Post

What do you guys think?
    Bennett did a pretty good job last season. I think the whole offense was off for a variety of reasons.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Bennett did a pretty good job last season. I think the whole offense was off for a variety of reasons.
    Pretty much one reason, #88!! You had Cruz put up another real good season, a 1000 Yard rusher, probably the most productive season we have had from a TE since Shockey, and a very serviceable job from Hixon. One big piece was missing. That's pretty much it.