+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are they right?

Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    I don't consider 31st in the league successful. I'm not living in 2011.

But if you want to revisit 2011, the Giants defense was getting it's *** handed to it because they didn't know what the hell they were doing until Reese resigned - guess who???.....Chase Blackburn. Boley also had a career year.

Back in 2007, a great deal of credit should go to Antonio Pierce - yes, a linebacker - for executing Pags' defense. Kawika Mitchell and Chase Blackburn gave them an effective linebacking unit.

The Bears and Giants run a similar system. Perry Fewell worked under Lovie Smith with the Bears and Rams. The Cover 2 requires good linebackers....it's something the Bears understand....it's why they drafted 2 more this year. The Giants signed Dan Connor to replace Blackburn and Boley.

Certain teams value linebackers.....the Giants don't, and the Giants defense also happened to suck *** last year. Go figure.
    Our championship defenses were fueled by a DL that was getting the job done. The LBs weren't playing much better than average to good. When the DL is getting it's job done the rest of the defense looks better.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    I think the rationale behind beefing up the trenches (especially with 9000 DTs we have on the roster right now) is that our run defense faltered at the line. If the line is able to plug the gaps, the linebackers won't have to defend against the run nearly as much, and we can use more 3 safety set to defend the pass...
    Not only that, but the LBs won't have to fight off as many blocks in the run game, making them more effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Not only that, but the LBs won't have to fight off as many blocks in the run game, making them more effective.
    I believe that Canty's injury was more than he let on (part of why he was released, although his salary factored into it too). Kuhn was decent (especially so for a 7th round rookie), but he went down too. Rocky was beyond done, and Austin is a flat out bust. I like the moves made at DT to be completely honest. Linval, Jenkins, Hankins, Kuhn, and Patterson are all capable of competing for that job, and we can keep them rotating to stay fresh.

Pine Barrens, NJ.. where we still hunt dinner.
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    That being said, any of the LBs available in the draft when the Giants were picking were probably a reach and would not have had an immediate impact anyway.
    Huh? Id say you're a little off here. How were Arthur Brown or Bostic a reach when they were there in the 2nd? Greene or Porter in 4th (awesome value)? Beauharnais there in 7th? You can blame JR not taking a LB for many reasons, but none of those guys were reaches in those rounds.

"Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise."
    - Homer J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    My opinion, barring major injuries we shouldn't be any worse at Lb ...
    I think the only way we could be worse at LBer is if we gave our current group a scorching case of leprosy and a few back-scratchers.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

It sucks to see LBers be neglected year after year, but this building method has worked for us recently and hopefully will continue to work for us.
    Do not feed the trolls.

the front end and back end of the defense is the priority. Reese does what he does with the LB situation because thats the value he places on that postion within his idea of defense and within the Giants scheme of defense.....
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Pine Barrens, NJ.. where we still hunt dinner.
    Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    the front end and back end of the defense is the priority. Reese does what he does with the LB situation because thats the value he places on that postion within his idea of defense and within the Giants scheme of defense.....
    I agree, but also think having a talented player at the position who also fits the leader role could only improve our overall D. As far as CBs, unless I was watching a different team, our secondary (except Prince) got burned time and time again last season. The only way I see us improving there is if Webby is able to step it up and play like he used to, or Hosley becomes the next in line and shows us what he was so great at in college. If those things do not happen, expect more of what we saw last year.

"Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise."
    - Homer J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    That'd be awesome if he were our DC.

I don't like depending on multiple people overachieving to produce a quality defense.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    I believe that Canty's injury was more than he let on (part of why he was released, although his salary factored into it too). Kuhn was decent (especially so for a 7th round rookie), but he went down too. Rocky was beyond done, and Austin is a flat out bust. I like the moves made at DT to be completely honest. Linval, Jenkins, Hankins, Kuhn, and Patterson are all capable of competing for that job, and we can keep them rotating to stay fresh.
    I'm excited to see the DT play this year. Rogers still has a chance to make some plays off the bench. Kuhn is coming off a knee surgery. Austin....?

+ Reply to Thread