+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Are they right?

Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    It's no coincidence that teams with better linebackers have better defenses than the Giants.

I've been waiting a few years now, but the linebacking tradition for the Giants has gone off life support and has now flat-lined.

If I wanted to get the opinion of the value of linebackers, I would no longer consider the Giants the leading organization to ask. I'd take the opinion of the Bears, Steelers, Ravens or 49ers over whatever Reese has to say about that particular subject.
    I agree with you and nobody can tell me there was no LBer available at the time we drafted who could have been better than what we have and that goes for the last 9 years, I don't buy into all this highest rated player on the board crap, if you need a LBer you go into the draft and get the best one available . I know nobody will agree with me but if Reese had done this since he's been here we would have some damn good LBers and we wouldn't be having this discussion...

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    I would take Reese's opinion over some anonymous poster on a message board... but this anonymous poster thinks the LB position in particular has not been given enough attention. That being said, any of the LBs available in the draft when the Giants were picking were probably a reach and would not have had an immediate impact anyway. I am not sure that there is much that can be done at this point with the limited salary cap room, but would be ecstatic if they managed to make a move to bolster the LB group before the season started.
    is it your feeling that in the last 9 years there has never been a good LBer who was worth the pick when we drafted?

Reese went into this draft and did exactly what the owner told the media he wanted to do, get tough in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Now do any of you doubt that if Mara said he wanted better LBers that we wouldn't have drafted LBers very early in the draft instead of none...

07-Aaron Ross, Steve smith, Jay Alford(DT), Zak DeOssie(LB), Kevin Boss,Adam Koets(OT), Michael Johnson(S),Ahmad Bradshaw(RB)
    08-Kenny Phillips,Terrell Thomas,Mario Manningham,Bryan Kehl(LB),Johnathan Goff(LB),Andre Woodson(QB),Robert Henderson(DE)
    09-Hakeem Nicks(WR),Will Beatty(OL),Ramses Barden(WR),Travis Beckum(TE),Andre Brown(RB),Rhett Bomar(QB),Deandre Wright(CB),Stoney Woodson(CB)
    10-JPP(DE),Linval Joseph(DT),Chad Jones(S)**Navarro Bowman taken 15 picks later,Phillip Dillard(LB),Mitch Petrus(G),Adrian Tracy(LB),Matt Dodge(P)
    11-Prince Amukamara(CB),Marvin Austin(DT),Jerrel Jernigan(WR),James Brewer(Ot),Greg Jones(LB),Tyler Sash(S),Jacquian Williams(LB),Da'Rel Scott (RB)
    12-David Wilson(RB),Rueben Randle(WR),Jayron Hosley(CB),Adrien Robinson(TE)**Danny Trevethan taken 60 picks later,Brandon Mosley(OT),Matt MCcants(OT),Markus Kuhn(DT)

in 07 he could have taken Jon Beason over Aaron Ross,but we had AP at the time so that would make no sense. Looking at where the giants were picking since JR has taken over he's missed on 2 IMO special linebackers(Bowman and Trevethan)...so no sweat In Reese we trust.

Quote Originally Posted by JesseJames View Post
    Reese went into this draft and did exactly what the owner told the media he wanted to do, get tough in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Now do any of you doubt that if Mara said he wanted better LBers that we wouldn't have drafted LBers very early in the draft instead of none...
    Great point.

Fortunately, I think you couldn't ask for a better coach than Coughlin in terms of getting the most out of his players. So, it could be that some players (e.g., Herzlich, Paysinger) step up and surprise me. Maybe Rivers can actually stay healthy and live up to his lofty draft pick hype. Maybe J-Will will learn how to shed a block.

I'm really pulling for all of them, because unless Reese pulls the trigger on a free agent, that's what they'll be working with in 2013.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Idk man, I hope they are right.

+ Reply to Thread