+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    LT is still more important but not for as big a margin as say the '90s. Team run less, so you don't need that big RT. Teams pass more so your RT better be able to protect. Still the blind side is the most important OL.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    All QBs learn to hand off with either hand.
    All running backs learn to carry the ball with both hands as well, so either way your point about running left and right is moot.

Right tackles never lost value. However, the usual blind side ( the left) because most QB's are right handed and start their take away with their back to the left side and have less of a view of the oncoming side of the defense from his left. Some RB's like running to one side or the other because of their inate ability to make a tackler miss. But the tackles still do the same job: mow 'em down or keep the QB upright. Go Giants!

RT lost value when teams stopped emphasizing the power running game. Now that defenses have become smaller, with an emphasis on pass defense, I think the overpowering right tackle is incredibly valuable. Teams that put some power back in the OL are going to be able to run right over some of today's defenses. Then, all of a sudden weak LB is going to be exposed in spades. The additon of Hank on our inside is good; but we're light on the end, and have horrible linebackers. A good running team is going to eat us alive.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    Well I do believe from the film I watched on Pugh, he might actually translate better to handling speed rushers on 3rd down like your Von Millers or Barkevious Mingos (just throwing out body types) than a traditional LDE who could easily get into his pads and overpower him with a bull rush. NFL teams reportedly do use the services of PFF and perhaps this data helped influence the Giants to shore up the RT spot. Diehl was just too big of a weakness there to continue having him start.

Do you have any idea how many 5 or 7 step drops Syracuse employs in comparison to the Gilbride offense? If the Orange are using 3 step drops to the amount you say they are, Pugh could have an initial adjustment period that is rough.
    I dont think he is nearly strong enough yet to play guard. His best spot might be LT

I think that the comment by JR regarding his big hands, smarts and potential to play center may be telling; setting expectations.... It will be really fun to watch the way things play out this summer. Pugh wasn't my favorite pick but I am happy we picked up some youth for the OL.

All O-linemen have value. If you whole O-line and receivers are good blockers, it will be hard to stop the offense in passing and running. Don't forget about Dallas O-line in the 90s.

Banned
    We won a Super Bowl with a crap RT so...yeah. I don't know the alst time there was a Super Bowl winner with a crap QB or crap receivers, etc but I'll look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    We won a Super Bowl with a crap RT so...yeah. I don't know the alst time there was a Super Bowl winner with a crap QB or crap receivers, etc but I'll look it up.
    Then the RT was not crap then. Not all teams have good REs either.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondring View Post
    Then the RT was not crap then. Not all teams have good REs either.
    This is classic GWAT