+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NY Giants' Defensive Line Poised To Return To Form In 2013

NY Giants' Defensive Line Poised To Return To Form In 2013

http://www.giants101.com/2013/05/03/...-form-in-2013/

Excerpt: "After storming through the NFC and winning their second Lombardi Trophy in five seasons, the New York Giants failed to make the playoffs in 2012 with a team that arguably possessed more talent than the one that took home Super Bowl XLVII. Although there are a number of factors that contributed to the Giants' failures a year ago, the lack of production along the defensive line inhibited defensive coordinator Perry Fewell's defense from operating efficiently.

In 2011, the rejuvenation of the Giants defensive line enabled the defense to compete with the top offenses from around the NFL. Tony Romo, Matt Ryan, Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady all succumbed to the pressure produced by Jason Pierre-Paul, Osi Umenyiora and Justin Tuck during the final six games of the season. The Giants were able to sack the quarterback on 7.51 percent of all passing plays, which ranked Big Blue fifth in the NFL.

Last season, without a healthy or effective Chris Canty to play in the middle of the defense, the Giants sack percentage dropped to 5.82 percent. Over the final three games of 2012, the team was able to get to the quarterback at a dismal rate of 1.94 percent, which was good for the second worst ratio in the league. For the Giants to establish themselves as Super Bowl contenders next season, the defensive line must rebound from its pathetic performance in 2012. With the loss of Osi Umenyiora and an aging Justin Tuck, it's a task that may seem unrealistic, but general manager Jerry Reesehas prepared the team for this moment throughout the offseason.

With the additions of Cullen Jenkins, Mike Patterson and Jonathan Hankins at defensive tackle, the middle of the Giants defense has gone from a point of great weakness, to potentially the deepest position on the roster. In 2012, the Giants finished 23rd in the NFL in sacks per game, with 2.1, but 18th in sack percentage. It's a small discrepancy, but it says a lot about how opposing offenses attacked Big Blue last season.

Without an athletic middle linebacker or a healthy defensive tackle unit, running the football was how team's beat the Giants. Opponents ran the ball an average of 29.1 times per game against the Giants, and averaged 129.1 yards per contest. By running the football down the throat of the defense, the Giants were unable to let their pass rushers take off up-field and get the quarterback. Additional injuries in the secondary to Kenny Phillips, Corey Webster and Prince Amukamara made blitzing a risky proposition, as it was nearly impossible for he team to play effectively in man coverage without a safety over-the-top." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Pine Barrens, NJ.. where we still hunt dinner.
    Let's hope so. Little early to tell what kind of level this line will be playing at, but Im certainly hopeful.

"Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise."
    - Homer J. Simpson

all starts up front im pretty stoked for the dline think will help our lb and db big time
    FUTURE NFL STAR

2014 season
    23 rushes for 255yards 3td
    39 pancake blocks
    50 tackles 3 sacks (3 td saving tackles including final tackle as time expired to clinch win, hit of the game 9/14 & 10/26 )
    9-0-1 record///// invited to play in tiny mite bowl and beat the team we tied in regular season
    youtube (youth football Iselin Giants and look for video that's 4 mins 19sec)

Not sure what else they could have done to make that DL better this year between FA signings and high draft picks.

It had BETTER be better.

Or I'll whine more.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

same article last year too.....
    the names were changed to protect the innocent...lol

I hope they get their collective asses in gear. Would be nice to have that element of the D back in full force......
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    Not sure what else they could have done to make that DL better this year between FA signings and high draft picks.

It had BETTER be better.

Or I'll whine more.
    I'll bring the cheese
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post

I hope they get their collective asses in gear. Would be nice to have that element of the D back in full force......
    They've made moves to make them a better unit, but we won't know until we play the games I'm afraid.

# 80

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post

lol, they say this every year about our D line, look at the other teams in the league there D line is a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud57 View Post
    lol, they say this every year about our D line, look at the other teams in the league there D line is a lot better.
    at least we have hope and few new names......
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

We can't say they didn't address "the trenches."

# 80

+ Reply to Thread