+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

just wondering about this draft as it pertains to LBers

just prior to this draft I remember reading an article that quoted Mara telling the media that he wanted the team to get tougher in the trenches on both sides of the ball. So we go into the draft and take an O tackle in rd1 and a D tackle in rd2 and draft no LBers at all. I was just wondering how this draft would have gone if Mara had said he wanted to improve the LBer position?

Quote Originally Posted by JesseJames View Post
    just prior to this draft I remember reading an article that quoted Mara telling the media that he wanted the team to get tougher in the trenches on both sides of the ball. So we go into the draft and take an O tackle in rd1 and a D tackle in rd2 and draft no LBers at all. I was just wondering how this draft would have gone if Mara had said he wanted to improve the LBer position?
    I was wondering about JR deceptively (which I like) telling his competitors that he focuses on the BPA. Yes we do draft for need.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    I was wondering about JR deceptively (which I like) telling his competitors that he focuses on the BPA. Yes we do draft for need.
    Reese just proved it in this draft so that puts that idea to bed..

Reese just proved it in this draft so that puts that idea to bed..
    He's not fooling us any longer. Actually I think the philosophy has evolved over the years. I heard a stat on NFL Radio the other day and it went something like this. Over the past 10 years, the total games played by rookies has more than doubled which means that teams are looking more and more for immediate help. The higher veteran minimums also mean that rookies and UDFA's are more attractive salary cap wise. So it should be no surprise that we would be drafting more and more for need and less BPA.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Jomo.... we are both on the same side with this thinking...

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    I think it's a forgone conclusion that the BPA philosophy fall within the parameters of players that fit our system. I think they are genuinely high on Pugh. I don't think the put a premium on LB play in our system. Rd 2 was the most obvious choice. Arthur Brown was available and they chose Hankins instead. We need both, and we have added players to both DT and LB in free agency. I say your right. I smell need loud and strong no matter how much JR is yelling value.

maybe Cooper Taylor and Damontre Moore will play some LB..

Arthur Brown wouldve been a giant if they realized connor & rivers just aren't that Good ontop of always being hurt...

Veteran
    Mara doesn't tell Reese to do anything. What probably happened was Mara sat down Reese at the end of the season, asked him what went wrong and how is he going improve the team. Reese probably told him we needed to get younger and reload in the trenches, and that's the answer Mara gave to the media.

Quote Originally Posted by myles2424 View Post
    Arthur Brown wouldve been a giant if they realized connor & rivers just aren't that Good ontop of always being hurt...
    So you think it was a need pick. I think they valued a DT over a LB. We already signed Rogers and Jenkins at DT and we still got Hankins.