+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 83

Thread: Linebackers (or lack thereof)

  1. #1

    Linebackers (or lack thereof)

    This board incessantly discusses our need for linebackers. We are not spending money to get one or drafting one high, so get over it!

    We, as the team is currently set up with these coaches DO NOT VALUE THE LB POSITION. This is not the glory days of the 80s. They have made this abundantly clear.
    Whether it be the nascar package with only 2 lbs or the 3 safety look with only 2 lbs, we do not line up 3 lbs a good portion of the time.
    We are bringing in athletic guys on the cheap like rivers and curry because we feel like when we do run our lbs out there, we need someone to match up with either a TE or a QB (vick/RGIII). This is why we bring in guys like kiwi, williams, or even cooper (even though hes technically a safety).

    Our current defensive philosophy devalues LB position in comparison to what we ran in the past. For this reason we will not spend big money or picks on LB's, especially since the last one was a complete bust (sintim). If Perry Fewell were no longer the DC, things could change but until then, this is how our D will be run.

    I love what the GMEN have done this offseason and signing cruz long term would be the cherry on top. GO GMEN.

    **Rant over.

  2. #2
    All-Pro egyptian420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    11,085
    I agree with what you're saying because I feel like our Dline is the foundation of the defense but I also think we're becoming very thin at LB. If one of our starters has an injury (which is very possible) well have a bunch of no names filling in which could be a huge problem when you think of the tight ends in this division.

  3. #3
    All-Pro joemorrisforprez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    11,335
    Question: How many Super Bowls have the Giants won when the linebackers play well?
    Answer: 4

    Bottom line: The Giants defense sucked for many reasons last season, and the mediocre play of the linebackers was a big reason. The linebackers did not get any help from the front 4, but I still expect them to make a friggin play on their own every now and then.

    Boley was a stud in 2011, and then was banged up last year, and it hurt the unit's effectiveness.
    Williams is a promising linebacker, but his technique and toughness need to improve.
    Chase was Chase....he needs help on both sides, because he doesn't have the speed to cover for his teammates.

    Boley and Chase are both gone, and Reese replaced Chase with someone who is hopefully better than his run-of-the-mill career stats would indicate.

    I really hope DaMontre Moore and/or Cooper Taylor can help patch things up by handling the duties that are normally required of linebackers. I hope Dan Connor takes his career to a new level. I hope that Rivers can stay healthy - it would be the first time in his otherwise lackluster career. I have no hope for Aaron Curry.

    Sorry, but that's the situation......I'm living on alot of hope right now as it pertains to the linebackers.

    Because as history shows, when they don't get the job done, neither does this defense.
    Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 05-09-2013 at 10:07 AM.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

    - Emlen Tunnell

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    Question: How many Super Bowls have the Giants won when the linebackers play well?
    Answer: 4
    again, im not saying we dont need lbs, or that i dont think its an important position for success, its just the defensive philosophy of this coaching staff does not place a ton of value on it.

  5. #5
    All-Pro joemorrisforprez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    11,335
    Quote Originally Posted by qndarius3 View Post
    again, im not saying we dont need lbs, or that i dont think its an important position for success, its just the defensive philosophy of this coaching staff does not place a ton of value on it.
    I'm holding out hope that stuff I don't see as a fan is happening behind the scenes - plans for the new draft picks (Moore & Cooper) as hybrids; maybe Dan Connor is an upgrade to Chase; maybe Rivers can shake the injury bug that plagued him.

    Of all the guys on the team, J-Will is the one that I am most optimistic about. He's got great speed, and I don't think he's hit his ceiling yet by any means. I seem him as a logical successor to Boley.

    Moore played OLB before switching to DE, and Taylor is basically a linebacker-sized safety.

    I can only speak for myself. I've loved this team all my life, from the days when I was a little kid and my old man explained to me what was going on. I grew up watching truly great defense, and legendary linebackers.

    So for me, it's a bummer watching what I saw in 2012 - soft, confused defense, with linebackers that were never in the backfield disrupting the opponent. Then, going into the offseason, we lose our best linebacker (Boley), let our hardest working linebacker (Chase) walk to the Panthers for chump change, and sign some dude (Connor) that really hasn't done anything to scare an offense.

    What's done is done.....the draft is over. I'm hoping for the best, because that's basically I all can go on until I see something different from last year's 31st ranked crew.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

    - Emlen Tunnell

  6. #6
    Veteran ibbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hamilton Canada
    Posts
    2,230
    Williams, Jacquian I expected that this guy will be a beast this year . Just my thoughts.
    Bill Loyal to the NYG logo

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by ibbill View Post
    Williams, Jacquian I expected that this guy will be a beast this year . Just my thoughts.
    i like him too...if he can stay healthy.

  8. #8
    Additionally, the investments we made into DT should provide for improved LBer play. There should be less opposing Linemen getting blocks on our LBers.

    However, I am worried about the LBer position. With Boley and Chase gone, who calls the signals and leads the team? What if there are injuries? Lot's to worry about.
    Do not feed the trolls.

  9. #9
    All-Pro TCHOF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    5,924
    Quote Originally Posted by qndarius3 View Post
    This board incessantly discusses our need for linebackers. We are not spending money to get one or drafting one high, so get over it!

    We, as the team is currently set up with these coaches DO NOT VALUE THE LB POSITION. This is not the glory days of the 80s. They have made this abundantly clear.
    Whether it be the nascar package with only 2 lbs or the 3 safety look with only 2 lbs, we do not line up 3 lbs a good portion of the time.
    We are bringing in athletic guys on the cheap like rivers and curry because we feel like when we do run our lbs out there, we need someone to match up with either a TE or a QB (vick/RGIII). This is why we bring in guys like kiwi, williams, or even cooper (even though hes technically a safety).

    Our current defensive philosophy devalues LB position in comparison to what we ran in the past. For this reason we will not spend big money or picks on LB's, especially since the last one was a complete bust (sintim). If Perry Fewell were no longer the DC, things could change but until then, this is how our D will be run.

    I love what the GMEN have done this offseason and signing cruz long term would be the cherry on top. GO GMEN.

    **Rant over.
    This is exaclty why the FO is much less eager than the fans to upgrade the LB position.

  10. #10
    we will have a good idea during camp and the preseason to see what we possibly have at linebacker!

    my theory is the Giants load up at d-line and 2ndary and feel they get good "enough" support from the backers we have already!

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts