+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Linebackers (or lack thereof)

Quote Originally Posted by WiIdcat View Post
    False. The Giants signed LaVar Arrington to a 49 Million dollar contract in 2006 dollars! Just because we haven't drafted one high doesn't mean it's against the Giant ways, it's because there were better players on the board at the time. Same could've been said for Olineman... Pugh shot that argument down. How about "the giants won't take a RB in the first" Wilson shot that argument down too. Trust me if Von Miller was on the board in 2011 he would've been the choice.
    that was a different Defensive system...

Quote Originally Posted by qndarius3 View Post
    that was a different Defensive system...
    What does that have to do with what I said?? Are we running some type of 7-0 defense that doesn't require linebackers?? You said they won't spend money on a LB or draft one high. They HAVE spent money on LBs and as I said they most definitely would have drafted Von Miller if he was there in 2011. The value hasn't been there and that's why they haven't selected one high.

Show me a linebacker in the last 5 years that was available in the first that was better value than our pick... you won't find one.

Our current system doesn't devalue linebackers, the quality of the other 8 guys on defense has hidden the mediocrity of our LB core.
    Last edited by WiIdcat; 05-10-2013 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WiIdcat View Post
    What does that have to do with what I said?? Are we running some type of 7-0 defense that doesn't require linebackers?? You said they won't spend money on a LB or draft one high. They HAVE spent money on LBs and as I said they most definitely would have drafted Von Miller if he was there in 2011. The value hasn't been there and that's why they haven't selected one high.

Show me a linebacker in the last 5 years that was available in the first that was better value than our pick... you won't find one.

Our current system doesn't devalue linebackers, the quality of the other 8 guys on defense has hidden the mediocrity of our LB core.
    clearly you didnt read the opening post i made. I am suggesting because of guys like RGIII/newton/vick/2 TE sets ect. that dictated the system that Fewell implemented.

this allows us to have a QB spy on passing downs (3rd safety) and which is why we bring in guys like rivers/curry/williams who are very athletic and run with TE's/QBs. We are running out 2 lbs a good portion of the time anyways.
    Because of the way we are currently set up, not based on what weve done previously , you are not going to see the gmen bring in big ticket FA's or high draft picks on LBs, hence devaluing the position as a whole. Obviously the exception occurs if there is an extraordinary talent IE: Miller, but when you are picking in the 2nd half of the 1st round each year, that doesnt come up too often.

+ Reply to Thread