+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 83
  1. #71
    All-Pro slipknottin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    35,196
    Quote Originally Posted by gumby74 View Post
    What? The Last 2 we won the LBers Pierce, Blackburn, Boley, Williams, and god knows who else. I can't even remember because they were that irrelevant. Our LBer corps was absolute ****.

    So the correct answer is that we won 2 SBs when great linebackers when defense actually mattered. We won 2 SBs with crap linebackers when defense no longer matters.
    Pierce was a probowler in 2006. Kawika Mitchell was tremendous the SB season.

    Boley was a pretty good player for the giants while he was here. Rarely missed tackles, was solid in coverage. Kiwi in 2011 was one of the best SAM linebackers in football, believe he was top 5 in tackles for a loss. And Chase at least down the stretch played quite well.

  2. #72
    All-Pro joemorrisforprez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    11,170
    Quote Originally Posted by gumby74 View Post
    What? The Last 2 we won the LBers Pierce, Blackburn, Boley, Williams, and god knows who else. I can't even remember because they were that irrelevant. Our LBer corps was absolute ****.

    So the correct answer is that we won 2 SBs with great linebackers when defense actually mattered. We won 2 SBs with crap linebackers when defense no longer matters.
    See below.

    Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Pierce was a probowler in 2006. Kawika Mitchell was tremendous the SB season.

    Boley was a pretty good player for the giants while he was here. Rarely missed tackles, was solid in coverage. Kiwi in 2011 was one of the best SAM linebackers in football, believe he was top 5 in tackles for a loss. And Chase at least down the stretch played quite well.
    Well said.

    As far as Blackburn goes......he made a dramatic improvement to the defense when he was re-signed midway through the 2011 season. It's like suddenly the defense found its brain.

    Long story short, a good defense has factored into every NFL championship the Giants have won...and that includes solid play from the linebackers.
    Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 05-09-2013 at 09:51 PM.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

    - Emlen Tunnell

  3. #73
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    9,374
    They played well as a unit of course but the DL was what fueled them the last two Championships, not the LB's.

  4. #74
    Reese's track record suggests he's better at buying LBs late in the off season than he is at drafting them.

  5. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Pierce was a probowler in 2006. Kawika Mitchell was tremendous the SB season.

    Boley was a pretty good player for the giants while he was here. Rarely missed tackles, was solid in coverage. Kiwi in 2011 was one of the best SAM linebackers in football, believe he was top 5 in tackles for a loss. And Chase at least down the stretch played quite well.
    Comparing 1980s to now is ridiculous.

    Pierce got blown off the ball more times than I can count. Most of his tackles came 5 yards down the field. Mitchell was a solid stop gap. A band aid. We replaced him with Danny Clark the following year and we barely missed a beat. And when we won the SB in 2011, our defense was atrocious for the majority of the season. They were never a good unit. Heck, they were a solid unit at best. And even that was in spurts.

  6. #76
    [QUOTE=joemorrisforprez;762689]See below.



    Well said.

    As far as Blackburn goes......he made a dramatic improvement to the defense when he was re-signed midway through the 2011 season. It's like suddenly the defense found its brain.

    Long story short, a good defense has factored into every NFL championship the Giants have won...and that includes solid play from the linebackers.[/QUOTE]

    Well, if our defense continued to play like **** in 2011, we wouldn't have gone to the SB let alone made the playoffs. So I think it's a given.

  7. #77
    All-Pro jomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    18,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    The depth is very shaky an injury or 2 and we have serious issues. U have to figure Rivers will miss at least 6 games
    It's not possible that Reese believes we are set at LB. Even if he's ready to give it a go with our current starters (whoever those are lol) our depth, as you say, is pretty weak. We will beef this area up between now and the start of the season with at least some quality depth on the cheap.
    No one remembers who came in second.

  8. #78
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    9,374
    They where not going to rebuild the entire defense this offseason.

  9. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by qndarius3 View Post
    This board incessantly discusses our need for linebackers. We are not spending money to get one or drafting one high, so get over it!
    False. The Giants signed LaVar Arrington to a 49 Million dollar contract in 2006 dollars! Just because we haven't drafted one high doesn't mean it's against the Giant ways, it's because there were better players on the board at the time. Same could've been said for Olineman... Pugh shot that argument down. How about "the giants won't take a RB in the first" Wilson shot that argument down too. Trust me if Von Miller was on the board in 2011 he would've been the choice.

  10. #80
    Don't forget that it is all about the matchups. Not all two back sets are good. Not all two te sets are good. Not all 4 wr sets are good. This applies to offense and defense. There may be chances that we need lbs and there are chances we don't need them. There are ways to work around the lack there of but one part of the team has got to be stronger like the wr and O-line. If you have about 3 good wrs and a good O-line, you can go without some things like a star te. If you have a good te added with the good wrs and O-line along with good qb like Eli, then you can deal more without things cause one part of the game is supreme.

    One reason why I made predictions in the past that we can use 4 wr sets is cause of the players we had on the team like in 09 when we had a lot of good wrs. Their play would lower the weakness of the 4 wr set long as the play calling is good and does not put the offense in 3rd long situations.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts