+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Big Question: Will Giants Pay For Passing On LB, CB?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ew-york-giants

Excerpt: "When it comes to the draft, the New York Giants do things their own way. Always have.

Heading into this year's exercise, Big Blue desperately needed help at cornerback and linebacker. General manager Jerry Reese boldly ignored both positions through seven rounds.Why? Because this is how New York rolls.Reese sticks to his draft board instead of patching holes with lesser talent. That predictably nets ho-hum draft grades from scores of pundits, but the acid test is two Super Bowl titles since 2007.New York did strengthen its defensive line with Ohio State's Johnathan Hankins and Texas A&M'sDamontre Moore. In theory, a deeper front four will buy time for New York's linebackers and secondary, but ignoring those areas means the Giants might not be done adding free agents." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

All-Pro
    More concerned about CB than LB. would like to see both improve but how realistic was it for them to fix all their problems in FA and the draft when they have no cap room? Their entire secondary is suspect. Other than Prince what do they have. Webster may or may not have a better year. Ross? He was cut by the Jaguars after one season. Hosely may be ok but struggled as a rookie. At Safety they have two promising young players and Rolle. No more KP. They had to start somewhere and the trenches made sense, but they still may have some big problems this year.

if the front 7 can actually generate pressure this season the secondary will be just fine.

Well no matter what everyones opinion is.....Eventually were going to need another legit CB other than Prince...And eventually were going to need a LB that is worthy of keeping around awhile,every year theres a new guy that nobody else wanted...
    Williams is our best LB,nothing against him,but that's not a good thing....
    Prince is our only good CB at this point....Imagine if he got hurt & were relying on Ross and Webster all year....omg...
    And lets not talk about the past,Webster was terrible & Ross sucked with the jags...

People seem to forget that Corey Webster was abyssmal last year!
    our response to him being trash was re-signing a kid that has had 4 knee surgeries in 5 years and a scrub who took a "vacation" in Florida.
    Our linebacker was Chase Blackburn that people bashed for not being athletic enough. Our response was to bring in Morgan or whatever his name was, some back-up linebacker that doesn't seem like a huge upgrade over Chase considering he has to learn a new system.

Yes! we are in trouble if any single "starter" gets injured. we do not have depth and we did not address the thinning positions during the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by myles2424 View Post
    Well no matter what everyones opinion is.....Eventually were going to need another legit CB other than Prince...And eventually were going to need a LB that is worthy of keeping around awhile,every year theres a new guy that nobody else wanted...
    Williams is our best LB,nothing against him,but that's not a good thing....
    Prince is our only good CB at this point....Imagine if he got hurt & were relying on Ross and Webster all year....omg...
    And lets not talk about the past,Webster was terrible & Ross sucked with the jags...
    These things worry me indeed, even if all our starters are healthy our LBs and CBs are shaky. Any injury to those 2 positions can really screw us over big time.

I pray to God someone emerges in camp and bursts onto the scene like Stevie did last year.

Quote Originally Posted by giantscolombia View Post
    People seem to forget that Corey Webster was abyssmal last year!
    our response to him being trash was re-signing a kid that has had 4 knee surgeries in 5 years and a scrub who took a "vacation" in Florida.
    Our linebacker was Chase Blackburn that people bashed for not being athletic enough. Our response was to bring in Morgan or whatever his name was, some back-up linebacker that doesn't seem like a huge upgrade over Chase considering he has to learn a new system.

Yes! we are in trouble if any single "starter" gets injured. we do not have depth and we did not address the thinning positions during the draft.
    People get upset on this topic, but we passed on 1st round talent at cb & lb with Arthur Brown and Jamar Taylor....
    I hope Hankins is legit, but when you have big needs, imo I would've rather took Brown/taylor & trading back up in the 3rd and grabbing Hankins there while losing our 4th rounder...

Time will tell. If our LBers suck, and our CBs are depleted by injuries (again), then yes, a ton of people will scream "I told you so!".

If all of that happens, and we win a Super Bowl again then the same people will say "We won a SB with that strategy!".

Shrug. I think the 49ers and Ravens showcased what having good LBers does for you in 2012. I don't fault the Giants picks except maybe taking Nassib in the 4th, but then again I don't get paid to make those decisions.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    Time will tell. If our LBers suck, and our CBs are depleted by injuries (again), then yes, a ton of people will scream "I told you so!".

If all of that happens, and we win a Super Bowl again then the same people will say "We won a SB with that strategy!".

Shrug. I think the 49ers and Ravens showcased what having good LBers does for you in 2012. I don't fault the Giants picks except maybe taking Nassib in the 4th, but then again I don't get paid to make those decisions.
    I hate when people argue that somehow LBs aren't important just because it worked for us...As if better LBs wouldn't make our whole defense better...
    Id like to tell a SanFran or Ravens fans that Willis/Bowman & Ray Lewis aren't that important to their D...

I'm worried less about CB. At least there is some talent there to start with. LB corp is scary untalented and injury prone to boot.
    Do not feed the trolls.